BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Bring A Trailer Watch Thread

31K views 415 replies 37 participants last post by  haolibird 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I say high $30ks, like $38k or so.

The car is just like the original test cars, like the ring taxi, and it***8217;s a rare color (MY00 only) with 100% stock components and barely any miles. Downsides are the terrible nav system, the steering wheel (blech) and the old design headlights and taillights. My friend***8217;s 2000 Silverstone M5 looks far more modern with newer lighting.

Dated:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wDL5GjjgU5o

Updated:
https://e39source.com/archives/187/9

#3 ·
I say high $30ks, like $38k or so.

The car is just like the original test cars, like the ring taxi, and it's a rare color (MY00 only) with 100% stock components and barely any miles. Downsides are the terrible nav system, the steering wheel (blech) and the old design headlights and taillights. My friend's 2000 Silverstone M5 looks far more modern with newer lighting.

Dated:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wDL5GjjgU5o

Updated:
https://e39source.com/archives/187/9
Would agree with your analysis, with exception of the color...I think that is more of a drag than a plus. Rarity doesn't always offset demand, and I don't believe that is a particularly popular color. I think the seller did him or herself a disservice by not removing those fugly floor mats for the photos, and not detailing the engine bay and under carriage.

But, if I were the buyer, I would not change the lights. The collectability and value in this car is its originality, and ultra low miles. I would keep it as is and not waste money updating it, which will only drag on the value as it gets older, and completely original cars become more rare.

#4 ·
I think Silverstone is a cool color, not in the least because it doesn't show a swirl no matter how hard you try to find one. Definitely keep this one stock.

#6 · (Edited)
I agree the seller did himself no favors with the presentation. But I think the Silverstone cracks $40K, I'll say $43K.

At least this owner is engaged. The LSB E46 M3 left thousands on the table (IMHO) b/c the owner had an attitude. Think the Alpine will do the same, we'll see today. BaT is a cool platform, but it's still a private party sale. Owners need to know their cars, and answer questions to get the best dollar figure.

Update - Alpine sold for $41K - lot of money, but I think maybe even higher had seller responded to questions. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2006-bmw-m3-coupe-11/

#7 ·
#8 ·
I saw that yesterday and meant to post. Crazy. We were all low!

#10 ·
Absolutely true. One has to figure there are not a lot of 10k mile M5s out there...and few available for sale at any one time. But the dilemma for the new owner is what to do with it. Drive it? If you do then the value goes down. Or just park it and look at it? That would frustrate me....maybe find some happy in between?

#11 · (Edited)
#13 · (Edited)
Yes, I see you have been moved to start commenting. :) I think it was the weird reflection that made the front bumper look off.

Some good recent maintenance, engaged seller and IMHO pretty ballsy move to go No Reserve. I think this car will do well, you'll feel good about what you paid.

I'll say you're too high on the 02 M5. I'd say high 20s. Original susp, next owner will probably have to fix that exhaust, few other things. But who knows lately?

#14 ·
Yes, I see you have been moved to start commenting. :) I think it was the weird reflection that made the front bumper look off.

Some good recent maintenance, engaged seller and IMHO pretty ballsy move to go No Reserve. I think this car will do well, you'll feel good about what you paid.

I'll say you're too high on the 02 M5. I'd say high 20s. Original susp, next owner will probably have to fix that exhaust, few other things. But who knows lately?
Yeah I think you are right on the M5, I went a little too high.

Definitely ballsy on the no reserve. Sometimes that fetches more, sometimes you get a deal.

It's funny reading some of those comments. I think some of those people of full of sh!t and not really serious buyers. I still have my account active from when I bought mine and ask a few questions here and there. I figured out why the front bumper looked off, it because of the front plate delete. So used to seeing a frame there.

#19 · (Edited)
Saw that - nice price.

M5 came in low, maybe b/c of chopped up exhaust and less engaged seller.

Hellrot one looks clean, is rare color for E39, didn't know it required special order. I can't find my 2005 Bimmer buyer guide, but 1999 might have been the first year of all the sport options.

#20 ·
Saw that - nice price.

M5 came in low, maybe b/c of chopped up exhaust and less engaged seller.

Hellrot one looks clean, is rare color for E39, didn't know it required special order. I can't find my 2005 Bimmer buyer guide, but 1999 might have been the first year of all the sport options.
Yeah that M5 didn't really jump out at me for some reason. A very nice price on the m-tech.

#25 · (Edited)
If I were to ever bid on an M5, I think this would be the one:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2003-bmw-m5-43/

I would change the trim as it doesn't really go with the red/black seats. Needs a little TLC but most of the stuff I have already done to mine.

High $30's

#26 ·
Yes, nice one and with Dinan suspension. Engaged seller but does not come across as a DIY enthusiast. Respect for him going no reserve. Agree re trim, I posted that comment.

I'll say that minor issues, miles and polarizing interior keep it below $30K.

#27 ·
#28 ·
Edgy are you saying the interior brings the value down? Not sure what you mean by polarizing, but I’m guessing by your low guess you think it’s a detraction? I love it. The car had some nice upgrades and is fully M5 audio loaded. The wood sure doesn’t go but easily replaced. It did have an accident but I the more I look I think it will touch $40. Low miles too.

B2 - I love that 88’ M5. It’s on my watch list. I’m addicted to BaT.

If it goes for low 20’s I’ll be bummed. I’m into my car for about $14k. Paid almost $9k in May, although $2 of the $5k in was discretionary and cosmetic.

What’s that SNL skit with Christopher Walken where he’s “got the fever”. I sure do for E39’s. I see a 2003 gray M5 in my garage soon with the red and black interior. If one pops up I may not be able to control myself.

#29 ·
That M5’s Imola “sport” interior is regarded as a little tacky. Very early 2000’s Fast and Furious spec. In my opinion, the Sport interiors only look good with Silverstone (gray) or black inserts. Sport interiors do wear much better than the “heritage”/luxury interiors.

#30 ·
im with you nate.. Ill say hands down its ugly... and i wouldn't buy it for that reason only

that land rovor 90 defender.. right hand drive.. that **** is hot

the 88 535is... that **** is hot

the Oj Simpson mobile
the 98 m3 is probably something someone with money should buy b4 they are hard to get.. there are a lot of lot of good cars here.. I think ill try selling on here next time..

Its totally enthusiast based

#31 ·
I’ve always been a fan of red interiors. I’ll give you this, this one probably has too much black. I refer a solid read with a few black accents. The M5 two tone scheme doesn’t lend itself to that. I think if the wood was different it would look better. At least that’s the first thing I would do.

#32 ·
I've always been a fan of red interiors. I'll give you this, this one probably has too much black. I refer a solid read with a few black accents. The M5 two tone scheme doesn't lend itself to that. I think if the wood was different it would look better. At least that's the first thing I would do.
BimmerForums user "freethrowdunk" has one of the nicest red E39 interiors around.
https://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e...2217-two-tone-interior-complete-makeover.html

#34 ·
I'm saying that an interior like that when selling reduces your Total Addressable Market, to use a marketing term. The evidence is here in the thread - you love it, I kinda like it, Nate and Burning hate it.

You think 95K miles is low? Not bad, and I know these cars are getting old. But I wouldn't call it a big plus when selling.

I've never seen a gray with red/black. Sounds like a very rare combo to me. So you're probably safe for a while. :thumbup: Maybe someone will chime in with a production number.

#35 ·
I'm saying that an interior like that when selling reduces your Total Addressable Market, to use a marketing term. The evidence is here in the thread - you love it, I kinda like it, Nate and Burning hate it.

You think 95K miles is low? Not bad, and I know these cars are getting old. But I wouldn't call it a big plus when selling.

I've never seen a gray with red/black. Sounds like a very rare combo to me. So you're probably safe for a while. :thumbup: Maybe someone will chime in with a production number.
I think anything under 100k for a 15 year old car is low. Although you would think there are M5s out there that were not daily drivers, so 95k is not low I guess, but not high.

Totally agree on the interior and how it effects the marketability of the car. Neutral tones appeal to the broader audience.

I'll have to look and see if the 2003 M5 was available in gray - sterling or space are my favorites.

I'm safe for sure [emoji23]

#39 ·
That's my point. It's too popular, hence some may think there is nothing special about it. Obviously subjective, I had a silver on black E38. Yup, it doesn't look dirty and you can't see scratches, but I thought it was boring. The test for me is when you clean a car or detail it and it looks fresh. Silver doesn't do that.

I would rather have black that looks dirty quickly but gives you that proud feeling when clean. Silver never did that for me. Again, subjective. When I do pull the trigger on an M5, it's going to be a bit unique. I do like that light blue (Ryan's M5) and although a light color, it's different.

#40 · (Edited)
Lots of enthusiasts do seem to love the BMW 50 shades of gray. I never really undersood it. This one is Titanium, not gray.

Silver does grow on you, had a 01 sport. But agree with Joe, never exciting.

Interesting question in that BaT thread - were the E39 M5 expansion tanks always white, and then turn yellow over time? Mine has been yellow since i bought car. Any original owners, or anyone who replaced the part, chime in?

#41 ·
Lots of enthusiasts do seem to love the BMW 50 shades of gray. I never really undersood it. This one is Titanium, not gray.

Silver does grow on you, had a 01 sport. But agree with Joe, never exciting.

Interesting question in that BaT thread - were the E39 M5 expansion tanks always white, and then turn yellow over time? Mine has been yellow since i bought car. Any original owners, or anyone who replaced the part, chime in?
Good, point, I missed B2 calling it gray. I do like gray a lot more than silver. Yes, this car is titanium silver, the one color BMW has had the list year in and year out since the beginning of time.

#42 ·
Silver is a bit of an odd color. It's beautiful but at the same time sort of bland. Guess it also depends on the car though. A silver E39 M5 or Ferrari 550 Maranello, why yes please. But on a Toyota Camry or a Fiat-er uh sorry "Chrysler" 300, zzz...zzz...zzz..

One thing I haven't been a fan of on silver too, is that it seems to take longer to get a good shine when detailing. Obviously lighter cars don't gleam as much as darker colors even when new. But still. Though when it comes to trying to avoid seeing scratches in paint, silver is by far and away the best.

Sent from Uranus with Love.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.