Bimmerfest - BMW Forums - View Single Post - Downsides to an xDrive?
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2019, 05:53 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2016 M235xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmacmil View Post
I'm thinking about a 228i or 230i convertible to replace my 2006 Z4. It would be a 7-8 month car. Since I am in the upper midwest, pretty much all the 2-series are xDrive which I don't need for April to November driving.

Other than weight, mechanical complexity and mileage (not a big concern since it doesn't get that many miles in a season), are there any reasons to steer clear of an xDrive model?
More weight for sure. Also, its not as sophisticated as the Audi Quattro. The BMW X Drive has also jumped and jerked for me when backing and turning. Just doesn't feel good. On the other hand, I am on my third X Drive. I think it really helps in snow and allows me to run performance snow tires rather than having to go to a traditional snow tire. X Drive will also improve your 0-60 a little if that matters.

2019 M240xi Estoril Blue Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Premium Pkg, HK Stereo, Adaptive LED Lights, Black Kidney Grilles, High Kick Rear CF Spoiler, Lightweight front lip, non run flat mixed performance tires, BMW M Performance Exhaust, Dinmann Carbon Fiber Rear Diffuser

Prior: 2016 M235xi, 2013 328xi Sport