Bimmerfest - BMW Forums - View Single Post - Downsides to an xDrive?
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2019, 08:19 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2016 M235xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
I believe you are absolutely correct about being able to have less effective winter tires with XDrive and still get the vehicle going, which is convenient. However, when it comes to stopping/turning, perhaps when needed quickly, XDrive adds nothing and the loss of tire capability may result in a very unfortunate outcome. Hope that doesn't happen and good luck!

As to 0-60, I believe any system which splits torque to 4 wheels instead of 2 only is helpful when the amount of powertrain output exceeds the ability of 2 tires to maintain traction while accelerating WOT. This might be more likely with a 235 or 240, such as yours, but seems very unlikely with a 228 or 230, particularly with automatic trans.
you are correct about about the turning issue. I learned this in my 3-series trying to run Pirelli A/S as snow tires with X Drive. They were downright scary in intersections trying to turn in the snow. It was like being in a toboggan. Bad snow tires results in tracking in a straight line. Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4s are the performance winter tires I use. In up to about 6 inches they do well enough handling and steering in the snow, and the X Drive gives that extra traction assist. Agree that X Drive alone won't be enough, you still need a reasonable winter tire but the X Drive gives you a little more choice of that tire IMO.

2019 M240xi Estoril Blue Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Premium Pkg, HK Stereo, Adaptive LED Lights, Black Kidney Grilles, High Kick Rear CF Spoiler, Lightweight front lip, non run flat mixed performance tires, BMW M Performance Exhaust, Dinmann Carbon Fiber Rear Diffuser

Prior: 2016 M235xi, 2013 328xi Sport