Bimmerfest - BMW Forums - View Single Post - Excess Oil Consumption -Class Action Settlement N63
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2018, 05:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 650 Ci (M Package)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo645 View Post
The oil consumption test is done for free once the settlement is complete. You will get a notice or follow up on the class action web page around September 10. After that, you can schedule your testing and if it fail, you will be eligible for the replacement. At this point, you will be getting the same N63 motor anyway so look for this problem to occur again when you hit around that 50 - 70K mark.
Thanks. I will wait until that time then to do the test.

According to the class action settlement terms, you have to fail 2 oil consumption tests and BMW must be unable to fix the problem after the second failed test.

As described to me, the failed test involves a lot of acrobatics, including going to the dealership when the engine oil is low for the dealership to document the level (shouldn't this be coded?).

Because engine replacement cost is tied to mileage, I'm interested in starting the process sooner rather than later. If they can fix it, great. If not, I'm not eager to be penalized and pushed into a more costly replacement category based on mileage -- which is based on mileage *after* the repair attempt *following* the second failure.

I am also told that a new Customer Care package was being announced to try to address oil consumption. This suggests BMW may proactively be trying to avoid the failures. The class action settlement only requires that the prior N63 Customer Care Package be performed, not the new package, although that package will presumably be part of the "repairs" to address the consumption issue.