Bimmerfest - BMW Forums - View Single Post - 18d timing chain maintenance
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2018, 11:06 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Glacier Silver X4 M40i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorblade View Post
I have a 01/2012 sdrive model and I've heard about timing chain problems. They tried to fix it with the second batch but apparently these still have problems. The car is now 55k km and it doesn't make any unusual sounds yet. Shoud I preventively replace the timing chain now, wait to do more km or wait until it would start to make rattling sound ?
Thanks
BMW has used at least three different Timing Chain Tensioner in their 4 cyl turbo engines. I am not intimately familiar with the engine in your 1.8d, but it should be a relatively simple job to change it. I changed mine (N20 motor) and posted a DIY.

Also, the warning sign/sound is not a "rattle" sound but rather a RPM dependent "whine" sound. There is a sound clip on the internet that BMW actually use to diagnose this issue.

Finally, have a look at this blog: https://bmwtechnician.com/about/ and search there for "Timing Chain." Lots of useful info there, incl. the infamous sound clip.

Last edited by DBU; 10-30-2018 at 11:09 AM.