BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

New M4 vs 2014 911 S

4K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  CALWATERBOY DUE 
#1 ·
I know this is a BMW forum and I know it will be bias...but so am I...I have owned several BMWs in the past and currently plan on getting an M4 ED next year. I have really enjoyed my BMWs and recently sold a 2008 M3 vert.

Having said that, I had a chance to drive a Porsche recently. I cannot afford a new one..or wont afford a new one at ~$130k but looking around, there are ample 2014 versions with sub 5k miles on them that will be at or below the purchase price of a new M4.

I am trying to get a sanity check here. I have researched Porsche reliability it is very good, obviously buying used adds a bit of unknown but if you buy it right, low miles, still some warranty, etc, it is starting to seem like a better deal.

Obviously buying used, I don't have to deal with the huge depreciation on whatever car I buy.

But if I am willing to part with ~$85k for a new M4 and I can get a ~2014 911 S for the same money...am I crazy for even thinking about it?

I have driven a 2016 M4, and a 2017 Porsche 911 (not S) and although the M was a little faster than the baseline Porsche, there was something about the handling and fun factor of the 911 that I did not find in the M. the S model of the Porsche, at least on paper is as fast if not faster than the M so I am not compromising there. and to be honest either car will be capable of doing things that I will never be able to take advantage of on the streets.

thanks for your input.

See less See more
#2 ·
I know this is a BMW forum and I know it will be bias...but so am I...I have owned several BMWs in the past and currently plan on getting an M4 ED next year. I have really enjoyed my BMWs and recently sold a 2008 M3 vert.

Having said that, I had a chance to drive a Porsche recently. I cannot afford a new one..or wont afford a new one at ~$130k but looking around, there are ample 2014 versions with sub 5k miles on them that will be at or below the purchase price of a new M4.

I am trying to get a sanity check here. I have researched Porsche reliability it is very good, obviously buying used adds a bit of unknown but if you buy it right, low miles, still some warranty, etc, it is starting to seem like a better deal.

Obviously buying used, I don't have to deal with the huge depreciation on whatever car I buy.

But if I am willing to part with ~$85k for a new M4 and I can get a ~2014 911 S for the same money...am I crazy for even thinking about it?

I have driven a 2016 M4, and a 2017 Porsche 911 (not S) and although the M was a little faster than the baseline Porsche, there was something about the handling and fun factor of the 911 that I did not find in the M. the S model of the Porsche, at least on paper is as fast if not faster than the M so I am not compromising there. and to be honest either car will be capable of doing things that I will never be able to take advantage of on the streets.

thanks for your input.
I think it goes down to your preference. What do you prefer. I prefer how the m4 looks and the space I have inside. But that's all in everyone's individual preference. My brother has a Porsche and my cousin has a Porsche Carrera. I still prefer how my M4 looks. I driven their cars and they are fun too.

#3 ·
F82 M4 vs 991 Carrera S

thanks for your input.
You just asked a question too big for an email response!
I have been fortunate enough to have owned many M's as well as 911's, recently had a highly optioned 991 and traded for an M4 which I've had for 2 years now. Recommend you start by making a list of your priorities in a car, what it is you want to feel and have in a car, anything and everything from whether turbocharged or normally aspirated, to tracking, to noise levels, to seating position, your handling preferences, gas mileage, leather or no, etc - anything you deem important or even have a question about. Then decide which car will meet your most important criteria.
If you are serious, email me, and if you wish I will speak honestly and candidly, but will not attempt to sway you. I will even speak to you on the different communities, BMW and Porsche, both of which I am a member. They are both great!

I have gone to the track for >20 years, always had naturally aspirated cars, but wanted a turbocharged car for the torque, am I ever glad I did! (NOW, Porsche has decided to resort to turbocharging of Boxster S, Cayman S, and entry 911!).

Porsche's racing heritage and technical superiority is legendary! The Porsche will do almost anything your BMW will do, probably 10 mph faster. If what you want is speed. The Porsche is very direct, but demands you drive it and pay attention. It is noisy IMHO, much due to the rear tire size and chassis stiffness coming up through the car.

The BMW will do anything the Porsche will do, but will be more comfortable. It is a sports coupe, not a sports car. And yes, it also has tire noise and chassis issues, the rear not as planted. The engine - WOW! Instant torque and thrust, in any gear! I don't care that the Porsche even still gets better gas mileage from a naturally aspirated engine.

I love and prefer the M4.

#4 ·
Porsche's racing heritage and technical superiority is legendary! The Porsche will do almost anything your BMW will do, probably 10 mph faster. If what you want is speed. The Porsche is very direct, but demands you drive it and pay attention. It is noisy IMHO, much due to the rear tire size and chassis stiffness coming up through the car.

The BMW will do anything the Porsche will do, but will be more comfortable. It is a sports coupe, not a sports car. And yes, it also has tire noise and chassis issues, the rear not as planted. The engine - WOW! Instant torque and thrust, in any gear! I don't care that the Porsche even still gets better gas mileage from a naturally aspirated engine.
Nicely said.

It all comes down to what you want A car for! If you are driving alone, daily drive, warm climate, etc. then the Porsche would be great. But if you need a DD which can also be driven in the snow AND bring family with you, then it's a no brainer.

I always like to see these comparisons. Why not throw the Corvette into the mix? Two seater, nice weather only, great performance numbers, etc.....but not very useful if its wet or snowy LOL.....

Either the Porsche or the M4 will put a smile on your face all day long!

Mike

(PS Dinan can take care of the pesky "10 mph faster" comment and still have a full warrantee)

#6 ·
I owned a 2011 M3 and than a 2013 911s and now have a 2016 M4. The Porsche is a better sports car with better handling/ fun so at the same price I'd take the Porsche . For the money right now BMW M4 is worth every penny and it's the main reason I went back.. If u can find a used 911s 2015 for same price as M4 I'd take it, u won't be disappointed !

#7 ·
Thanks for the feedback I really appreciate the honesty.

its not going to be a DD it will only be driven on good weather days...it will be a garage queen, it will never see rain..unless i get stuck in it, and will definitely stay hidden all winter so no snow finds its way to the car :).

its just my wife and I, kid is grown, have a grocery getter and a pickup so its just a toy whatever I end up with.

#9 ·
I have both-2015 M4 and 2016 GTS. Porsche feels 'tighter' and better put together if that makes sense. NA engine feels great but needs to be at higher RPM's. The BMW honestly feels faster and has been more reliable over 2 yrs. I have some ongoing electronic gremlins in the P car, but they do not really affect the drive. At almost 50K less, I would have to say the M car is a better buy.
Jim

Attachments

#11 · (Edited)
@GaryJ, @96redLT4, Thanks for input. I agree completely. Currently i so enjoy my BMW as a DD, I always had a difficult time with any Porsche meeting my need for the ability to relax and tour in it. And yes, I am looking at either a Boxster S along-side my M4,or possible\y waiting for the BMW i8 Roadster, or a high-end (technologically) BMW M Roadster of sorts. Hope DanaC ends up happy.
Good Driving, M

#12 ·

I have driven a 2016 M4, and a 2017 Porsche 911 (not S) and although the M was a little faster than the baseline Porsche, there was something about the handling and fun factor of the 911 that I did not find in the M.
You're crazy if ya don't.

Superior handling's worth more than a small power edge.

#13 ·
First, you don't need to spend $85k on an M4. You can get a good one for under $70k (stick/extended leather/19" wheels).

Separately, a big factor for me is the rear seat room. I don't need a huge rear seat, but it needs to be big enough for my kids and shorter adult trips, and it can't be a joke. This essentially eliminated the 911, Mustang GT350, Audi S5, and ATS-V coupe for me. The M4 rear seat is decently roomy for a coupe.

#14 · (Edited)
911 vs M3/M4 is the perennial question. I have owned many BMWs and several Porsches including an outrageous 911 Turbo.

I seriously addressed the Porsche vs BMW question before purchasing my M3. Long story short, I concluded that the e92 ZCP was superior to a basic 997 in terms of sportiness, practicality, quality and overall value. I regard the e92 ZCP as a BMW high water mark that we will never see again. I have the same sense of spirited anticipation - including goose bumps - every time I start my e92, as my 911 turbo... the sublime sound..vroom...vroom....

Over the last year or so, I have tested 991s and M4s. Both are supremely capable cars but both leave me with a sense of uneasiness. Yes, great cars, but neither inspires me to an early AM Sunday romp with my GSD to the West Virginia mountains. The 991 has become maybe too slick, with very little traditional Porsche edginess that made driving a Porsche special. After numerous M3/M4 test drives - I walk away feeling that the M4 is technically dazzling but lacks a feeling of joie de vivre or elan. Yes the M4 is faster than my e92 but the driving experience pales.

My answer; shop outside the box, and the M2 had me at first sight. However, there is a big problem - many others have reached a similar conclusion. I have been withering on the M2 waiting list since February. I understand that my dealership just received an allotment and they are ordering my car, but seeing is believing. M4 vs 911? - M4 all the way - but I really really want a M2.

#17 ·
For the same price point, you should consider a 718 Cayman S. No back seat, but my God what a gorgeous, sublime handling ride.

#18 ·
I love my M4 but there is something to be said for the 911, I drove my son-in-laws 2012 911S
and it was awesome to drive on the back roads. The exhaust not sounded much better than my
M4. My car felt much quicker on the low end, I have a manual and the 911 had the PDK.
Personally my choice is the 911, when my Lease is up I will looking for a 911 for sure.

#20 ·
Part of my decision to go M4 was due to some of the limitations of the 911. Yes the handling of the Porsche is fantastic, it has to be experienced, it cannot be described, the comp exhaust on it was really great too. however that's where it ends. A maxed out M4 is what ~87k pick a 911 or a 911 S and you are talking well over 100k just to say hello. No storage, crawling out of them is not as fun as you might imagine, the looks although iconic are dated, and unless you are going to take it to the track you will never truly take advantage of the differences in handling. You cannot take your friends with you anywhere, you cannot put your luggage in the car...a day trip maybe but that is about it, bottom line the Porsche is probably the better handling car, it is not faster, it is not as convenient, costs more and in the end on the street you actually end up with less car. on the track...that is where the debate starts and the Porsche probably wins...I don't plan to track my car. There is a place not too far from my house that lets you drive exotics around a track, a Porsche GT3 costs $200 for five laps...far cheaper than me beating my car up and wearing the tires, etc. So if I get the itch to track a car, I can pick from a list of cars and still keep mine in one piece.

bottom line the Porsche is a wonderful car, its just not going to fit my life as much as I would like and the compromises you have to make daily with the Porsche just aren't worth it. especially when you are paying more money to make those compromises. In a dream scenario, I would actually have one of each. But that is never going to happen, my checkbook simply cannot tolerate it :) as I am sure most of us can appreciate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.