Bimmerfest - BMW Forums - View Single Post - Owner's Choice for iPerformance questions
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2017, 10:00 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2018 530e
Owner's Choice for iPerformance questions

My 530e is crossing the Atlantic at the moment, so I suppose it's time to figure out how I will pay for it...

Some questions for those of you in Texas, Georgia, or other states with hostile leasing tax treatment:

I am considering Owner's Choice instead of leasing, but not because I think I might buy the car at 36 months. Tell me if these assumptions are correct/incorrect:
  • OC is a purchase with a lease-like option to return. As a purchase, I would qualify for *financing* incentives/rebate rates such as USAA and fleet, rather than lease rate incentives/rebates
  • For iPerformance vehicels, OC would entitile me to the federal tax credit since it is a purchase
  • OC does not include gap insurance, therefore I would have to get that coverage elsewhere
  • OC does not require a leas acquisition fee
  • I still have to pay full sales taz on the OC purchase -- I just wouldn't get double-taxed if I make the balloon payment at contract term
  • There are no rate benefits from fleet, USAA, etc since there is no Money Factor, just an interest rate

I've always skipped OC in the past since I had no intention of buying my leased car at 36 months, but if the tax credits AND finance incentives/rebates apply, I think I'd be foolish not to go that OC route this time. What am I missing here?