Bimmerfest - BMW Forums - View Single Post - WOW! Further consequence of failed thermostat.
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2019, 07:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E36 M3. E46 325i, E70 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnitro View Post
Without dpf, there is no regen which makes the turbo run very hot even at idle/low rpm.

Shutting down during a regen is something that I feel is very bad for the oil in the turbos.
Edycol said that the synthetic oil can handle those temperatures, but it does add to possible coking when the oil is already getting compromised with soot and or depleted TBN.
Without flow on shut down the little oil that remains gets heat soaked.
Are you talking about a deleted DPF & tuned out regen? If so, I'm not understanding how a DPF delete w/ tuned out regen would make the turbos run very hot at idle / low RPM...

I could see the HP turbo spinning a slight bit faster during idle / low RPM driving; however, this should not translate into running very hot.

With a plugged up DPF that no longer allows regenerations to occur, I could see the additional back pressure causing issues with turbo cooling / function / longevity.

I do agree that shutting down during an active regen is likely hard on the engine oil & contributes to failure of the oil cooling lines... Especially if you're at the end of your OCI, as your engine oil will have a much higher concentration of diesel fuel & soot, which are far less stable with high heat...