Bimmerfest - BMW Forums - View Single Post - WOW! Further consequence of failed thermostat.
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2019, 04:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
I had my X5 (96,000 miles) in the shop yesterday to change out the thermostat, I washed the engine down before dropping it off so they could figure out where the oil (on passenger side) was coming from. Upon inspection they determined my exhaust turbo charger had a hair line fracture in it. I have not had any of the symptoms they referenced in the service bulletin. I do live in a cold climate but park the vehicle in doors, we have come through a brutal cold stretch so potentially the hairline crack just happened. I can say I have diligently changed oil and filter every 8,000-10,000 KM's and air filter when necessary. To say I am disappointed is an understatement. I had visions of this BMW lasting a long time without such a major repair. The fact I have not had any fault codes means I will continue driving until I can line up another turbo and associated parts. Is there anything else you would recommend considering changing when I swap out the turbo?