Bimmerfest - BMW Forums - View Single Post - Is it helpful to cover grill on cold days -30C or -22F?
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2019, 12:08 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328i xDrive 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash Riprock View Post
I am far from a mechanic, but the benefit would be to reduce the amount of cold air entering the engine, allowing engine to heat up sooner and maintain a proper engine temperature. I can say we always did with with my dad's 1988 6.2L diesel, with my 1997 Toyota Celica my 2006 Honda Odyssey. I haven't had enough experience with the BMW X5 35D to know how it responds in frigid temperatures, no temp gauge so I haven't always paid attention to temp (i.e. access hidden menu to watch temps). If you haven't experienced -30C before you would have no idea how cold it is.
Drove X5 35d on -37 here in CO and WY, no issues maintaining temperature, starting it etc.
I actually skied once on -42, started my car (Opel Vectra) with 15W40 oil etc. No issue in maintaining temperature. So, I am aware of extremely cold temperatures. European cars are really good in cold weather (I have now Toyota and that thing needed 15 minutes to start heating inside. Had to put block heater to mitigate that).
M57 engine reaches operating coolant temperature fairly fast for average internal combustion engine, and really fast for diesel. However, be aware that thermostat is an issue on these engines, so check coolant temperature in hidden menu or even better, if you have Carly.