Bimmerfest - BMW Forums - View Single Post - Market value vs. book value on my car. WTF?
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2019, 07:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
Networking also sells cars. I've sold eleven cars in my life. Nine of them were sold to friends or co-workers. I have a list of people waiting for our BMW's and even for my twelve year old Chevy Cobalt.

BMW's depreciate faster than appliance cars. Figure the first year's depreciation being 25% (off of MSPR). The second year's depreciation would be another 20% off of the value after one year. So, a two year old BMW would be worth maybe 60% of MSRP. Low mileage would help, but not that much. High mileage hurts more than low mileage helps. Wagons are a love/hate thing. Also, BMW wagons in the U.S. are all xDrives. xDrive sells in places were it normally snows a lot. It's hard to get rid of an xDrive BMW in Floriduh, too.

Another thought is that your $26k BMW is now a beater. I have a personal project that will require me to travel about 40k miles over the next 18 to 24 months. I'll soon replace my $3k 2007 Cobalt beater with a $20k 2020 Chevy Sonic beater. But, my 2014 535i is only worth $21k. If I put off buying the Sonic another year, it will be worth more than my BMW when I bring it home from the dealership.

Last edited by Autoputzer; 04-28-2019 at 07:19 PM.