Bimmerfest - BMW Forums - View Single Post - "BMW acknowledges it is no longer Ultimate Driving Machine"
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2017, 07:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabu2 View Post
Personally, I just wish BMW would build their cars to be more reliable like the old NA I6 motors. All this talk I always see about motors popping isn't good.
The engine tech is supposed to be BMW's bread and butter, and in fact there is not much in-house(BMW's own) R&D so engine tech should really be bullet proof, on any BMW engine. The fact that there are issues with some engines, e.g. N13, N47, and now N20(all timing chain related), is somewhat disappointing, especially for long term owners like myself and others.

Having said that, BMW engine tech also is supposed to push the limits, hence it is not too surprising that the corners of the engine specs probably are not stretched(figuratively) to get things fully flushed.

In the N20 case, in the absence of any official fix/acknowledgement, the strategy of long term owners is to mitigate the risks(e.g. shortened OCI and such), and keep an eye, and ear, on the issue. There is another thread on the N20 issue, with video links of engine sounds, and how the timing chain job can look like.

Last edited by namelessman; 04-27-2017 at 07:14 PM.