Bimmerfest - BMW Forums - View Single Post - Considering an M6
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 09:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '16 BMW X5M & M-B ML63AMG
AMG Exhaust Sounds & ML63 traits

southern6er22:
I have to agree with you on the wonderful sounds of the naturally aspirated AMG engines. It is one of the highlights of driving these vehicles. I enjoyed my '04 M-B E55 AMG with its supercharged engine and its special sound and subsequently continued the special sonic experience with my '07 M-B ML63 AMG with its 504 hp naturally aspirated engine.

For kicks and giggles, here is a YouTube video of a ML63 similar to mine that allows you to hear the sound of its engine and exhaust:

I was very impressed with the sound of the 2013 M6 Coupe that I test drove, both with the windows up (it was only 34 degs F. outside) and with them down for a very short period. I used the paddle shifters to purposefully keep the transmission in a lower gear during accelerating and decelerating just to be able to hear the engine and exhaust sounds at higher revs.

dunderhi:
You and I have a similar "garage" with your X5M and your 650 xDrive Coupe.
I considered getting a 2008 X5M when my 3-year lease ended on my ML63, but realized that essentially, other than updated electronics, my car was not all that different of a driving and hauling vehicle compared to the X5M. I had a very well maintained vehicle with 36,000 miles that I was able to purchase from M-B Financial for $1,800 below my original lease's residual value, which made the decision much easier. Today it has almost 70,000 miles and has been a wonderful vehicle serving in its role.

I use the ML63 primarily for my wife's and my weekend excursions and as our long-trip/vacation vehicle. The long highway trips to and from our beach house in NC will average between 7 - 8 hours of primarily highway driving. My wife either flies or drives down to the house in her car a couple of days in advance of me, so effectively, I am the "mule" with the cargo, (which I do not mind at all....). I enjoy the drive, being able to see the countryside along the eastern shore of MD and VA, listening to either Satellite Radio or an audio book on my connected iPhone and am quite content...

I usually have my wife's and my luggage, along with two golf club bags and a case of wine and a case of beer, so therefore, assume an additional approx. 200 - 250 lbs of cargo weight. Also, I always have used the M-B recommended Premium 93 Octane fuel.
I do find that when I pull away from a stop light with a bit of gusto, my MPG will decrease noticeably, but my youthful enjoyment of the g-pressure feel and guttural exhaust sound of the brute power of the naturally aspirated 63 engine is sometimes just too hard to resist. This vehicle is everything I had hoped it would be, understanding that the one real negative was that it would always be an expensive premium gas hog. My rationalization is that I just add the cost of the gasoline to the overall "cost" of the vacation or the expense of consistently putting a smile on my face when I drive my ML63.

I am really looking forward to getting the new M6 as a stable mate to my ML63. Having never had a M-series vehicle I am excited to finally have the chance to experience it first hand over an extended period. I am realistic enough to know that none of these vehicles are problem free. Both AMG's and M-series vehicles suffer from the annoying and embarrassing loud brake squealing noises that come and go, etc... But these high bred luxury performance vehicles are what makes driving fun and not just a necessary functional machine providing transportation of getting from point A to B.

2016 BMW X5M (Daily Driver)
2014 BMW M6 Coupe (leased, returned)
2007 M-B ML63 AMG (Wife's Daily Driver)
2013 BMW 335 xDrive Coupe (leased, returned)
1961 M-B 190SL (Fair weather weekend treat)
2004 M-B E55 AMG (leased, returned)
2004 BMW X5 4.4i (leased, returned)
2001 BMW X5 4.4i (leased, returned)
2000 M-B E45 Sport (leased, returned)

Last edited by AVB-AMG; 04-28-2013 at 07:23 PM. Reason: typos