Bimmerfest - BMW Forums - View Single Post - Run Flats to Regular Tires
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2017, 06:34 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkr778 View Post
For the 225/45R18 (F), 255/40R18 (R) combo, Tire Rack only lists the BMW OE ("Star") version of Michelin PSS. Current price for the set of four is $871.50 before shipping, or $268.40 less than the Tire Rack price for same sized Bridgestone Potenza S001 RFT - the tire model originally installed on my car.
Cool. Those OEM-spec tires are usually more. Maybe there's a glut of them.

I owned a 1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R. That was a fantastic car. It made Car and Driver's 10 Best list every year it was made, and was always the cheapest car on the list. They're still classified as a CPI (car of particular interest) in the NADA price guides.

But, Nissan couldn't give those car away. They had a OEM-spec Dunlop tire, the same size and tread pattern as the tires used on Mazda Miata's. But, the Nissan-spec tire had a softer rubber compound (identified by the lower DOT tread wear mileage rating). Because the cars weren't selling well, the tires weren't selling well. I got a set of OEM tires for something like $60 each, cheaper than any comparable after-market model tire.

Michelin has also started making many of the PSS's in the U.S. Historically, they only made their best tires in France. I've been happy with the twelve Continental tires I've had. But, Michelin making PSS's in the U.S., and a $70 rebate made me get them instead of the Conti's.