Bimmerfest - BMW Forums - View Single Post - DIY - Phone Cradle Removal
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2019, 01:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i
Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPL15 View Post
I really don't think age has anything to do with whether it's a remotely good idea to blindly cut wiring harnesses due to willful complacency... Plenty of folks well above age 50 doing far more complex & arduous repairs & restorations on project cars, for fun & enjoyment... I know plenty of these folks, as they're retired former colleagues & mentors, some with legit debilitating diseases & illnesses that significantly limit mobility & strength...

The 1st time I removed the cradle, without any sort of guide or instruction, it was pretty damn obvious that the board you were tugging on was being caught up by the passenger side footwell underpanel, that takes 3 torx screws to remove (the same torx size that is required to remove the bolt holding the board you were tugging on for 40 minutes.)... This panel needs to be removed to replace the recirculation cabin filtration elements, where it's quite easy to remove with no other effort than conscious thought to do so...

You got lucky, many don't... My comment was to explain why this is such a very bad idea, where one should not take the risk, ever, regardless of whether it "worked" for someone else...
As promised, at this juncture (If your model had a console USB port) it will not function anymore. It doesn't matter if you removed the hardness the hard way or cut the cable. But I suspect most car owners don't use this port. Everdently it is part embedded of the wireharness. not having the dexterity of other owners, I cat the cable with dikes. If you are able to do the aforementioned removal. Best to you all.