BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Decided to upgrade my shocks

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  RogerEH 
#1 ·
I did some research on past posts but most seem to be replaced for hi-performance handling. I have a "99 Z3 auto and hi-performance is not one of its features. At my age I'm more for comfort and improved handling and cornering Mostly I've read about replacing with Koni's or Bilstein's with a few others mentioned. My mechanic recommended stick with the stock shocks which are Bilsteins. I understand that comfort and handling are at opposite ends of the spectrum, but there must be a good compromise available without spend a ton of money. Any suggestions?

#3 · (Edited)
#4 ·
At 108,000 miles on the odometer, I decided to change the shocks on my 2000 Z3 2.3. I purchased and installed KYB shocks both front and back. The change in ride and handling were immediate. The ride became more bumpy and the steering more precise. In retrospect, I prefer the ride and handling of the old shocks. However, I have grown accustomed to the new shocks and have changed my style of driving to take advantage of the new shocks.

#5 ·
Thanks for the comments. I've only ever tried Koni's in the past (not on a Z3). Is my BMW mechanic correct when he told me that the stock Z3 shocks are Bilstein's?? I don't mind the ride with my current shocks but now at 106K one rear is leaking slightly. Thinking good time to improve my ride and handling. Mechanic recommended that I stick with stock shocks and replacing all four and the springs.

I'm also thinking of upgrading my brakes. Brakes are still OK but system seems not too aggressive on stops. Mechanic said upgrading the brakes can get real expensive. Car has the ATC warning light on ever since I before I bought it. Had it checked last week and was told the pump is bad. Mechanic said without the ATC working I would not has ABS working also. This car seems to be a holke in my driveway that I continuously toss my bank account into. :dunno:

#6 · (Edited)
... I have a '99 Z3 auto and hi-performance is not one of its features. At my age I'm more for comfort...
... My mechanic recommended stick with the stock shocks which are Bilsteins...
... Is my BMW mechanic correct when he told me that the stock Z3 shocks are Bilstein's?? ... Mechanic recommended that I stick with stock shocks and replacing all four and the springs... This car seems to be a hole in my driveway that I continuously toss my bank account into...
The original struts/shocks were Sachs. And why is he saying that you need new springs? Are some broken? New springs with part numbers matched to your car's build are difficult to find and expensive, and in combination with replacing struts/shocks, many people go to aftermarket spring/shock handling kits or coil-overs for about the same cost. A coil-over is a combination shock/spring.

In the absence of more information, and based on your posted needs and budget concerns, just tell the mechanic to replace your struts and shocks with KYB, which are OEM-spec like Sachs, but less expensive.
Do you have any alternative to this mechanic?

#7 ·
The alternative would be the BMW dealership...Not an affordable solution.

Since I am not knowledgeable in the specific parts I can only assume that he knows what he is talking about. His credentials read "ASE & BMW Certified Master Technician with over 30 years experience in the industry". His office is littered with diplomas and awards from BMW. All his customers that I have spoken with are very happy with him and highly recommend him. He is the second independent BMW mechanic that I've tried. The first got things fixed but broke others doing so, I stopped going to that one.

He doesn't try to talk me into fixing anything and recommends the least expensive alternative to what I suggest or want. Those are the kind of things that I consider when I chose a mechanic. An additional plus is his shop is only about 3 miles from my home. Some of the things that I asked a quote on he talked me out of after he checked the car over. Most ALL the things that I wanted he pretty much told I didn't need, BUT, some I still wanted some updated (brakes, suspension, exhaust, power chip). I was surprised to find out that even after 20 years most all were the original BMW parts and still good. Everything he has fixed for me so far he has done a very good job in a timely manner. SO, I trust him and see no reason to look elsewhere until that trust is broken. Bimmerfest has been a very good knowledge source for me and I normally check here first when I have a problem. I usually will get advice on solutions quickly and I consider it a very good source for advice.

#10 ·
I respect your opinions. I have limited experience replacing shocks and that was mostly older American cars and trucks when I was much, much younger, so I am not even close to being knowledgeable. At that age the cost was king, not the quality. :p

#9 ·
Conflicting opinions and ensuing discussion is the life blood of mechanical forums.
As everyone's needs are different there is no right and wrong answer to the shock or tire questions. I enjoyed the discussion and learned from it :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.