Bimmerfest - BMW Forums - View Single Post - Looking to buy an X1
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2017, 11:47 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 330ci, MZ3, X1, 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der_Kommissar View Post
Did the sDrive have a different steering wheel than xDrive? I've never seen one in person to know.
It's not the steering wheel design.
The sDrive version is only EPS.
xDrive x28i and 35i is hydraulic. Servotronic is an option for 28i and might be std for 35i.

Reason for EPS is to save more gas for BMW. The xDrive models didn't provide enough space for the EPS system. Maybe to do with the front diff? Hence no EPS for xDrive. Yay!

It's a preference thing. Too loosey goosey for my taste. EPS is not inherently vague or numb feeling. BMW are poorly implemented it. They should ask Mazda how to do a proper EPS.

CPO is a good idea but understand that the 6-year warranty is based on the initial "In Service date" of the car. So if your MY2013 X1 was pressed into service say in 2012... then the CPO warranty is until 2018. Also CPO may not apply to newish models with remaining factory warranties. BMW dealers tack on CPO on low mileage cars.

For the most part X1 is a reliable car with one area of concern - Timing Chain for the N20 engine. Failure of that piece = Engine KABOOM! I think BMW has redesigned the plastic housing and chain in 2015. My advice is when you find the right X1, open up the oil cap and peer inside to check the chain and housing. If there are score marks and old brownish housing, request for dealership to replace them prior to buying the car.

Last edited by wunderkind; 01-03-2017 at 11:51 AM.