BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Car goes into Park when door opened!?

24K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  ruey220 
#1 ·
The 7 is at the dealer again and I have another 5 loaner. When backing up today, I opened the driver's door to look back to get as close as possible to what I was parking in front of and I couldn't believe it - the car abruptly stopped and put itself into Park!? I tried again - same thing! I then put the car in Drive and opened the door - same thing! Do our 7's do this? I hope not. This safety feature is not all that safe in my opinion, as I can imagine emergency situations where it’d be life threatening.

#7 · (Edited)
Gentlemen: Opened door at 25 MPH and Park did not engage. Tried again at higher speed - nothing. Reattempted at low speed - nothing. Then shut down and started back up, thinking that once it triggers not to engage at speed the safety feature remains off. Reattempted - still nothing!? Not sure if the car recalls not to engage for a few moments after shut down or if this should be as a part of the official 'break in' procedure or what!? Anyway, will try again at low speed to see if it works again or whether it's gone all together now...

#9 · (Edited)
On my F10 535i, it only goes to park IF your seatbelt is off AND the door is opened. If you are wearing your seatbelt, you can roll as much as you want in gear with the door open.

#10 · (Edited)
If you keep your seat belt buckled, it doesn't go into Park if you open your door.

#12 ·
The 7 is at the dealer again and I have another 5 loaner. When backing up today, I opened the driver's door to look back to get as close as possible to what I was parking in front of and I couldn't believe it - the car abruptly stopped and put itself into Park!? I tried again - same thing! I then put the car in Drive and opened the door - same thing! Do our 7's do this? I hope not. This safety feature is not all that safe in my opinion, as I can imagine emergency situations where it***8217;d be life threatening.
The car is designed to do this at low speeds when it detects no weight on the seat mat for the driver. The old E65/66 did this as well, it's a saftey feature so in case you get up out of the car to chat with another person and forget to have the car in park. If you turn on autopark and let it hold the car for you at a redlight, lift yourself off the seat and you will see the symbol turn from the normal green to red to show that the full parking brake has engaged.

#16 ·
This thread explains that item I read in The Onion about do-it-yourself hybrids...drivers of high-end sedans spotted using their cars' doors as sails! :)

#17 ·
wonderful safety system BMW put in here, next time someone is trying to carjack your 7 series, they pull your door open and you try to drive away the car will put itself in park to let them get hold of you and pull you out of the car.

actually i learned this awhile back myself i was trying to roll the car 1 foot at a time to check if there is a nail in the tire, and it kept going into park.

true story though, friend of mine with the older 7 almost got carjacked in Oakland, and if it wasn't for the shifter in the steering column the thief was almost able to get away with her 7. the slight delay it took him to figure out how to drive the car away was enough time for her to call for help and for someone to beat on the guy in the driver's seat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.