Bimmerfest - BMW Forums - View Single Post - Carbon Build up
Thread: Carbon Build up
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2014, 08:36 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 760Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missile View Post
I have read about misting water into the intake as an inexpensive but effective way of decarbonizing a DI engine. They say to mist a few quarts down the throttle body while the engine is running and feathering the throttle to keep it going. Has anyone tried this?
I hate to break it to you but that it beyond a safe idea. Water does not compress and causes metal to rust! Do you really want to put that through your intake, then your turbocharger and then your engine? I don't think that'll end well.

If you want to do something similar, use seafoam or BG44K (both are great de-carbonizers) through the vacuum intake line little by little works. Seafoam comes in a deep creep can which works equally well, just squirt a few sprays over the whole bottle with the car running. Don't feed it to much to bog down the engine! This is safe since these are petroleum based so they burn!

That method along with some brushes is how the 745 owners of the E65/66 are cleaning out their engines to get rid of check engine lights so they pass inspections for emissions!

Video on a WRX:

The white smoke is the seafoam soaking into the carbon and burning off. The sip-sip method as shown in the video feeds the seafoam through the air intake chambers so it sprays lightly onto the valves to help clean everything. Don't put too much in!!!!!

2013 TL Advance 3.5L

2006 BMW 760Li - Alpine White/Ebony-Ivory Two Tone

2007 MDX Sport/Ent.- NGM/Taupe
lRB Slotted RotorslRoof RailslFront & Rear GarnishlAuto Mirrorl

2004 TL NAVI Auto - SSM/Quartz
lComptech SwaybarlHacked NavlTVNAV2GolUSA-SPEClDVD PlayerlSwitchblade KeylRB Slotted RotorslA-Spec Brakesl

Last edited by csmeance; 03-11-2014 at 08:42 PM.