Bimmerfest - BMW Forums - View Single Post - Carbon Build up
Thread: Carbon Build up
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2014, 06:28 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 Audi A6
Rants aside, I do not recall any posts confirming that the N63 engine has a carbon build up problem. I know it has been thrown out there as a "possible" cause of rough running but I don't think any of those have been confirmed. In any case the only definitive cure that I have read about is walnut shell blasting. Also the engine has to be removed from the car to be able to get to the intake manifold so its not an easy thing to do. Water might work to loosen some carbon in the combustion chamber but not in the intake or intake valves. Fuel additives won't work either because the intake doesn't see any fuel. The culprit seems to be the crankcase ventilation design more so than direct fuel injection. The larger problem for me is why have the vehicle manufacturers insisted on pushing engine technology that hasn't quite been worked out yet? To meet emission and fuel consumption standards, customers be damned. It reminds me of the early days of emission controls that made the cars run like crap. Retarded ignition timing, exhaust gas recirculation, too lean carbs etc. At least I knew how to work around those systems to get the car running "right". Back then, as in below car, crankcase ventilation was a paper filter cap pushed into the valve cover. How is that for an old guy's rant?