BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

New (to me) BMW X1 owner - disable start/stop?

11K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  Bahnburner 
#1 ·
Hi all,

It's our first BMW, a 2013 X1 xDrive 28i and just one drive back from Chicago with it (to Indianapolis) and I love it.

The only thing I don't care for is that start/stop thing. Been reading about how to turn that off.

Can anyone give any pointers to laptop software that can adjust coding rather than the relatively expensive Carly app (and subscription) I've been reading about?

#2 ·
Try here:
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1023698

Once you install all the tools, you can code your car.
It takes time to read through all the documentation, but once you have it setup and working you can do some neat coding.
My X1 doesn't have start/stop (not sure it was an option on the 35i), but I have coded out some minor things. I'm sure the start/stop can be coded to "remember" last setting.

#3 ·
According to the Carly support page:

Start/Stop-Automatic memory
• on
• off
Setting for Start/Stop-Automatic is saved. This way the manual setting of the Start/Stop-Automatic button, i.e. whether the button is turned on or off, is saved for the next start. Deactivating the Start/Stop-Automatic on the car can increase the life time of the battery and the starter. (codable in IHKA)
The option is codeable in the IHKA module.

#6 ·
That is very good to know, some positive feedback about it all. I have to admit to being overwhelmed with options of what to do. The A.S.S. (lol) isn't so much of a pain in the ... ass. .. but it's the thing that got me looking around to fix it. If I just do what I need and then leave it I guess I wouldn't have to have it constantly year over year charging $60 until I needed it again.

#14 ·
Yeah there is a need to do it every time you get in the car. I have personal experience from two different E84s, one being a 2014 as well. I can confirm it MUST be done every single time when you start the vehicle.

My best guess would be that someone has coded yours at some point, perhaps prior to your ownership (if you aren't the first owner).

#13 ·
Ok, well on my vehicle (2013 X1 x28 with idrive) it doesn't.. I'm not debating it with you.. that's what I'm getting at which is why I started the thread. That's lovely you didn't have to mess with it, but for me I have to push that button every time I start the car.

#17 ·
i think 14 and 15 bmw changed how the button behaves, press it once and stays off.

you can change your 13 and under to behave the same with coding
Manufacture year 2014 would be selling / marketing year 2015. So 2015+ remembers the last setting after an ignition cycle ?

I can 100% confirm that selling / marketing year 2014 does NOT have this option as defaulted (although it can be coded).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.