Bimmerfest - BMW Forums - View Single Post - Spare Tire Option - Flexibility to remove?
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2019, 01:36 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 540i; 428 GC; 340i 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRBob View Post
Would BMW roadside service not have a role to play in this scenario? I would hope so.
Here's a scenario to mull over.

I was up in Presque Isle ME earlier this week. The nearest BMW dealer is in Westbrook, ME, about 300 miles away. If I didn't have a spare and got a flat on Saturday night, I'd press the BMW Assist button. The nice folks would send a contracted service out to me; depending on how close the contracted service provider is, that might take an hour or two.

Hopefully, the contracted roadside service provider would show up with a flatbed (though this is "my brother Darryl and my other brother Darryl" country, so you never know). They'd load the 540 on the flat bed and drive it the 300 miles to Westbrook.

How would I get to Westbrook? I have no clue. Maybe brush some of the empty Skoal cans and beef jerky wrappers off the seat and ride with Darryl and Darryl for 5 hours, listening to his stories of life in the trailer park and his interesting choice of music? We'd get to the dealership (closed) drop the car in the lot, and then .... I try to find a hotel with a room? And get there by Uber?

When the dealership opens on Monday morning, I'd learn that they don't have my Summer Performance Tire in stock in my size, and they can't have one shipped in till Tuesday. If I'm lucky they will have a loaner for me. Which would be fitting because I will be paying full BMW retail for the tire.

Since I have a spare, I have other options. Rather than go on an "adventure" with the Darryl Boys, I can have the spare mounted, drive myself to Westbrook, or buy a tire on Tire Rack (for a significant savings) and have it shipped to a qualified mechanic in Presque Isle, Bangor or Augusta for installation.

Much less inconvenient than having to bond with Darryl and Darryl.
2016 428 GC MSport

Prior BMW's
2015 X1 35i xDrive
2015 X1 28i xDrive
2014 535i MSport
2014 328i SportWagon
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0