BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Best tune and exhaust for G30 540i xDrive?

11K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  MauiSteve 
#1 ·
Trying to decide on a tune and exhaust for my (new to me) 2018 540i xDrive.

For the tune, I've been doing some reading and it seems like there's two kind of tunes out there: piggyback and flash tune. The most popular piggyback seems to be the JB4 and I've seen bootmod3, RK, Dinan and of course MPPSK as popular flash tunes. The JB4 seems the most primitive, but also cheapest and easiest to remove if I need the car serviced (it is CPO). However, I've read that it might not be as "smooth" as a flash tune. MPPSK would keep my warranty intact, but I am not sure about replacing the torque converter or the M Performance Exhaust (more on that later). I've read a lot of good things about bootmod3 and would most likely go that route if going with flash tune. I am not looking to max out the power/torque and would be happy with around 400HP. Not sure if I want to do any bolt-on mods (downpipe with high flow cat, intake, etc.) either due to warranty situation. I also live in CA, so I will be using 91 Octane fuel. Thus, I'm leaning towards either JB4 or bootmod3. Any suggestions?

For the exhaust, I have looked at MPPSK (MPE), ACS, Remus and Armytrix. I've read that the MPE is kind of a let down for the money and drones at highway speeds (something I'm trying to avoid) due to lack of valves. I like the sound of Remus and leaning towards it, but I wished they offered black exhaust tips that aren't insanely expensive (the titanium one). Still unsure about the exhaust, tbh.

See less See more
#2 ·
You may have seen this on the other forum in response to another poster, but I will post my experience with the BMW M Performance exhaust here just in case you missed it.--Bob

I have a 2019 540xi M Sport and also wanted a sportier exhaust sound. I went with the BMW M Performance exhaust kit and had my dealer install it. About $2,100 installed as they gave me a parts price that was close to other internet prices and the labor to install was only $225 (Per BMW; the exhaust is available through the BMW parts or car website and specifies that labor cost). Parts costs included muffler, clamp, plug cover for exhaust valve electrical plug, tips and valance. I asked that they save and give me all all the takeoff parts in case I decide I don't like it and want to reinstall the original; they now reside in my garage.

The sound if definitely louder, especially on initial start up and it sounds great when you use your paddle shifters, which I do from time to time. Via Bimmercode I have set my car to always start in Sport, rather than Comfort, and when I push the shift lever left in to "S" mode (but leave it automatic) it also sounds good. There is some resonance in the 2,000-2,400 rpm range, primarily at shifts under moderate throttle, as the engine seems to end up in that range after each shift. On the highway and most of the time around town I don't find resonance or excessive noise to be obvious or objectionable. If my wife is in the car I am less aggressive on the throttle so it is a bit quieter in general and on shifting. Under heavy throttle in Sport it really bangs the shifts with a fairly loud noise that I generally characterize as a fart. Despite that characterization, I don't find it objectionable when I am accelerating hard; it just make a loud noise on hard throttle shifts. Overall I am OK with it at this point and plan to keep it unless my wife objects strenuously, which she has not so far. In fact, neither she nor a number of passengers I've had have commented on the louder exhaust. The look of the tips is fairly stock BMW, which is fine with me. Anyway, I hope that helps. My suggestion is that you find someone in your area who has also gotten this or another exhaust and see if you can get a ride. Good luck with your quest. You will enjoy the car in any event. ---Bob

Attachments

#6 ·
I've kind of been researching this myself, as I don't want anything obnoxious sounding, just a bit more aggressive. Based on my readings, I would get a bit more sound with a high flow (200 cell) catted downpipe say from Evolution Racewerks or the newer version of the VRSF. And I could leave the rest of the exhaust stock. For the tune I would choose Bootmod3 over a JB4 or Racechip. For the money spent and the simplicity of the install I would get the slightly more aggressive sound yet it would all be quite practical because of the substantial performance gains of about 70 hp after the BM3 tune.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.