Bimmerfest - BMW Forums - View Single Post - Downsides to an xDrive?
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2019, 09:13 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328ix sdn; M240ix cpe
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelzero View Post
My ignorant sunny-California living self says, all cars have four wheel stop, but xDrive gives you two extra wheels to get in trouble with. It might give you overconfidence and allow you to bring excess speed and otherwise surpass handling limits. And if it also makes you not get snow tires, that's probably a bigger win. I just want a numerical % traction gain comparison from AWD vs. RWD snow tires.

Reminds me of another quote "Intelligence is like four-wheel drive. It only allows you to get stuck in more remote places."
huh? since when did having all four wheels capable of maintaining traction become a precursor to getting into trouble? the system is intended to retard your excessive ability. But, I get your point. folks believe they can speed and do all sorts of things because xyz. That is true about RWD and people's overconfidence in their ability to control the vehicle because they view themselves as awesome drivers. Real world, you do not have a perfect slick pad, you have other drivers (who aren't as great of driver as you), and conditions are variable.