BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

M Sport or no?

5K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  HG132 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm putting together my X6 order and find myself questioning if we should get M Sport. We have always had M Sport on our 3's and 5's and I'm not sure what other than appearance the M Sport adds to the car. It's a big stretch for us financially and I'm trying to see if we can swing it. If note probably will go for either an X4M or another 5 series.

#2 ·
If you are not worried about having a sports steering wheel or the larger looking exhaust tips that come with the sport model I believe you would likely be alright with the regular model. I actually have the 35i X-line trim (non sport) and its great inside and out. Only pet peeve for me was the circular exhaust tips but after being rear ended in the first 2 weeks of ownership I was able to get those changed lol

#4 ·
Its msport or bust for me. Once you're used to the msport steering wheel and seats, it's hard to go back. Also the msport just gives it an aggressive look of the cosmetics is important to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

#7 ·
I just ordered X6 with M-Sport package and Adaptive M Suspension which is a great option. The adaptive M suspension gives you DDC (Dynamic Damper Control) and rear axle air suspension. I have DDC on my 540i and it makes a huge difference. Adding air suspension will reduce the "bumpiness" for passengers in the rear seats. Based on my experience with X5, without air suspension and DDC, the back is really bumpy on uneven roads - kids can get motion sick and bounce around when hitting pot holes. The run flat tires are stiff and do not absorb much of the bumps so the suspension has to deal with that. It is not advisable to change to non-run-flats as you will sacrifice some handling performance.

Unfortunately, not many sales reps at BMW can explain well or demo DDC and air suspension because they do not have the cars built with that option. If you can find and test drive a car with these options you should give it a try and make sure have a longer test drive on normal roads and also experience the back seats as a passenger.

#10 · (Edited)
I prefer the bright side window trim of non-M Sport's. Some foreign markets actually offered bright window trim on the F10 M5's. The F10 M5 offered bright window trim with black paint.

I don't like the black inserts in the back bumpers on most M Sports, the X5 being one exception. But, M Sport eliminates the high-maintenance vinyl trim along the lower body and bumpers on BMW SUV's. So, it's a wash there. I wish they'd offer bright window trim and body color rear bumper inserts as options. I'd pay for them. Most of added cost would come out of the dealer's hide, though. Porsche 911's offer bright window trim and body colored bumper inserts, and 911's are pretty... sporty.

It looks like you can order your tires al la carte. The big benefit of the M Sport is the M Steering wheel. There's an uproar on the G01 X3 board because they've eliminated the M Sport steering wheel from the 30i with M Sport and from the M40i. The M Sport steering wheel has a different air bag. So, retrofitting just the steering wheel is not possible.

#11 ·
I used to have M sports on my X3s and 335s, but I never went for it on my X6. I’ve had three X6. I am looking to turn my latest X in the spring and would love to go back to the M; however, I love the way the Xline powers through rain and snow. The low profile tires on the M were an issue for me. Can someone give me their perspective from the X6 driving through bad weather?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.