Bimmerfest - BMW Forums - View Single Post - Active Steering Fault - i have tried various things to resolve
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2019, 01:16 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 645/333 View Post
To reset the steering to you have to move from full lock to full lock a few times to reset with engine running. If you have not been using the car and not putting it on a battery charger to trickle charge, then you could have run down the battery to the point where it has insufficient charge. A poor battery on these cars will lend its self to all manner of random failures, they are so battery critical.
If you want to make the car reliable then really look after the battery, bizzare but so true. I believe that a poor battery management lends itself to causing other components to fail. As you are learning about the car read up the thousands of threads on the battery and associated components. IVM etc. Also look at transmission reset and the like. many forget these cars learn the driving profile of the driver and adjust accordingly, doing a reset resets the memory especially the transmission.
I did have to jump the car and was getting battery errors prior to this, that's when i decided to register the battery and haven't had the battery light come up again. I have bought a solar powered trickle charger as i park the car on my drive. It's English winter so i'm not sure how effective it will be.