Turn and die! - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M3 & M4 > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 11-13-2018, 04:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 750Li
Turn and die!

Have been searching the forum for a couple days and have not found any similar issues so here it goes...
My 06 M3 (6 Speed Straight Stick) has done something weird now twice in the last 2 weeks. The first time about 2 weeks ago I filled up, and put cap back on with my left hand. Not sure if it clicked but when I went to start it, the car turned strong and then died right before turning over...almost as if someone pulled the plug on it. Tried to start it several times and the same thing. Went to gas tank, retorqued the cap, and about 3 tries it cranked over. I called my Indy and he said it is the weirdest thing he has ever heard. Today, I went out to run some errands and it did the same thing but this time I had not messed with the gas cap. All the same, I went to the cap removed and retorqued until it clicked and it started after 3 tried.
I ordered a new cap but wondering if anyone has experienced this symptoms and what did you do about it. Thanks in advanced!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2018, 04:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 750Li
For your situational awareness...I figured out my issue. A wearing gas cap can kill your engine on mid stroke. Sitting at the emmisssions test vented today went to put it in gear and it died. Tried starting and nothing. Got out, clicked the gas cap all the way tight till it clicked and started right away. New gas cap ordered.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M3 & M4 > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Today's Posts Search