Best quick spray wax - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 05-10-2019, 03:45 PM
You Don't Need to Know

Mein Auto: '14 328xi Sport Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmat View Post

It's just car wax...
Actually, from what I've read on the internet, it's not wax at all.....

2014 328i xDrive | Black Sapphire / Black Red Dakota | Sport Line | Premium Pkg | Lighting Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | Driver Assistance | Nav | Sport Automatic Transmission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2019, 03:56 PM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
actually, from what i've read on the internet, it's not wax at all.....
+1

lol
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 05-10-2019, 04:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 435i Turbo Vert
Quote:
Actually, from what I've read on the internet, it's not wax at all.....
Exactly.

But it is still just car wax. Just look at the clouds on my car... really nice wax... wait, those are not clouds.

Last edited by jtmat; 05-10-2019 at 04:16 PM.
Old 05-10-2019, 08:18 PM
2015 328x

Mein Auto: 2018 BMW 330i xdrive
My post was not about using or buying it. All I said was the link Doug supplied while trying to show you there was no carnauba in your choice, was NOT the wax you used. It was actually for the P40 That had no carnauba.
Old 05-11-2019, 04:22 AM

Mein Auto: 435ix coupe
Gotcha Mykatie ...Thanks

Doug,

"Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it."

This is a snooty statement for a public car enthusiast forum. It implies, on some level, that you are smarter than most forum members. I think the idea of a forum is to share useful information and experiences that most members can understand and maybe use.If you are writing something that most people on the forum will not understand than what is your point. IF Im missing something about this statement in your post than please explain.

Also, quoting life philosophy statements from various sources can be weird especially when a lot of people on this forum dont understand them. Why dont you hang out with people of your own intellect and interests. You will be more stimulated and save the rest of us from your hard to understand brilliance.

I will say that very few of your posts I enjoy but the vast majority are just out there. Tone it down for us common folks!

Last edited by jjhebigscreen; 05-11-2019 at 04:42 AM.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:16 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: ~
Doug Googles tangentially relevant chemicals, physical properties, etc.; typically copies the results the results word for word; and pastes them into posts as if they add to the discussion.

Plagiarism as faked erudition.

It is best to skip his posts.

On topic: I use and am impressed with Griot's Spray-On Wax, click.

I will leave it to others to Google the ingredients.

Last edited by Elk; 05-11-2019 at 08:19 AM.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 428i Grand Coupé
The best option to ignore a forum member is to add him to your ignore list. Once you do that, you won't see his posts.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:46 AM

Mein Auto: 435ix coupe
Thanks
I did not know about that option
Old 05-11-2019, 08:54 AM

Mein Auto: E93,E36 M3,E39,E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
Doug Googles tangentially relevant chemicals, physical properties, etc.; typically copies the results the results word for word; and pastes them into posts as if they
This has been obvious for a long time if you happened to come across his numerous posts.

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Dio///M; 05-11-2019 at 08:56 AM.
Old 05-11-2019, 10:29 AM
Nuclear engineer

Quote:
Doug Googles tangentially relevant chemicals, physical properties, etc.; typically copies the results the results word for word; and pastes them into posts as if they add to the discussion.
It’s not a discussion, as among peers, it is an elective lecture and instruction. (I do not use G00gle.)
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 05-11-2019, 10:34 AM

Mein Auto: locally
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
It’s not a discussion, as among peers, it is an elective lecture and instruction. (I do not use G00gle.)
Dougie, you're gone baby gone from my list! You've got an attitude problem which I'm sure you have heard before. I just wont see it any more! Hooray!
Old 05-11-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDTX View Post
The best option to ignore a forum member is to add him to your ignore list. Once you do that, you won't see his posts.
Thanks JD for this info. I've done just that with our ego deficient member!
Old 05-11-2019, 10:54 AM
2015 328x

Mein Auto: 2018 BMW 330i xdrive
Quote:

Plagiarism as faked erudition.

It is best to skip his posts.

On topic: I use and am impressed with Griot's Spray-On Wax, click.

I will leave it to others to Google the ingredients.
Would not have been too bad if the correct chemical to product was used to support his argument.
Old 05-11-2019, 11:28 AM

Mein Auto: E93,E36 M3,E39,E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closem Joe View Post
Dougie, you're gone baby gone from my list! You've got an attitude problem which I'm sure you have heard before. I just wont see it any more! Hooray!
Looks like he's "lost control"

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 05-11-2019, 01:13 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 540i; 428 GC; 340i 6MT
You guys are too harsh. Doug's not a troll - he's just "out there". Much of what he posts on other forums (like Off Topic) is actually incredibly funny - even if it takes an hour for us mere mortals to get what he meant.

Dougie really IS smarter than the average bear. He makes Taylor Mason look like a moron. There are times I suspect that Dougie is not just "on" the spectrum, he IS the spectrum. And unlike a lot of members here, a discussion with Dougie is never boring.

Besides, I understand he's an excellent driver...

2016 428 GC MSport

Prior BMW's
2015 X1 35i xDrive
2015 X1 28i xDrive
2014 535i MSport
2014 328i SportWagon
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 05-11-2019, 02:42 PM
You Don't Need to Know

Mein Auto: '14 328xi Sport Line
Quote:
How can we trust someone who doesn't use Google. What do you use, AltaVista? Lycos???

2014 328i xDrive | Black Sapphire / Black Red Dakota | Sport Line | Premium Pkg | Lighting Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | Driver Assistance | Nav | Sport Automatic Transmission
Old 05-11-2019, 03:25 PM
Nuclear engineer

Quote:
How can we trust someone who doesn't use Google. What do you use, AltaVista? Lycos???
I have a collection of a couple of dozen more or less specialized. Go to is DuckDuckGo.

Old 05-11-2019, 07:51 PM

Mein Auto: Diesel
Quote:
Quote:
It's not a discussion, as among peers, it is an elective lecture and instruction. (I do not use G00gle.)
Did you just use the words Google and trust in the same sentence?

Doug's fine. Pretty smart with some info. He also charges his battery extra after using the heated seats, and has his pano roof on a lubrication and cleaning schedule, so he is just as exceptional as the rest of most of us in our own ways . I don't know much about wax or non-wax, or.... what were we talking about?

Last edited by dzlbimmer; 05-11-2019 at 07:57 PM.
Old 05-13-2019, 12:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2019 440i Coupe
None of my spray-on/wipe-off products even purports to have carnuba wax in them, so I guess I'm good.

Since I got CarPro CQuartz applied to my car last year, I've been using their products exclusively to maintain that coating. Namely, their Reload spray sealant every 3-4 months, their ECH2O waterless wash/detail spray when needed, and Reset shampoo for occasions I hand wash with buckets and mitt. So far everything has worked great, and my finish looks like it did the day I picked up the car.
2019 440i Coupe • ///M Sport Design • Mineral Grey Metallic • Black Dakota/Blue Stitched leather • Aluminum Dark Carbon/Pearl Gloss Chrome trim • Track Handling Package • Orbit Grey 398/Michelin PSS • Driving Assistance Package • Black Kidney Grilles • Stainless Steel Pedals • PCD 4/27/18
Old 05-13-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesWWIII View Post
None of my spray-on/wipe-off products even purports to have carnuba wax in them, so I guess I'm good.

Since I got CarPro CQuartz applied to my car last year, I've been using their products exclusively to maintain that coating. Namely, their Reload spray sealant every 3-4 months, their ECH2O waterless wash/detail spray when needed, and Reset shampoo for occasions I hand wash with buckets and mitt. So far everything has worked great, and my finish looks like it did the day I picked up the car.
Hey James, I've been doing the same thing with Opti-Coat Pro and their products after having it applied on my 18 440 vert. after picking it up and bringing it home from the PCD. My results have been the same as yours. It was a smart thing to do if you like cars that shine like a mirror and are a breeze to take care of! My best.

Joe
Old 05-14-2019, 09:06 AM
former motorcycle rider

Mein Auto: F87 & F01
Quote:
... It is best to skip his posts. ...

On topic: I use and am impressed with Griot's Spray-On Wax
Ditto. It may not be the best, it may not have any carnuba, but it smells nice.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:14 AM
Nuclear engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerGuy View Post
Ditto. It may not be the best, it may not have any carnuba, but it smells nice.
A very common ingredient is Limonene fragrance also solvent and cleaning agent. It is the stink in Goo Gone that hides the main ingredient odor - diesel.

Old 05-14-2019, 04:05 PM

Mein Auto: Landcruiser, M3, Turbo S
Spray waxes

Recently got some Polish Angel Rapid Wax

Pricey, but very nice shine.
Old 05-14-2019, 04:49 PM
Glaird

Mein Auto: F10-'16 550i, F82-'18 M4
I have some understanding of Doug Huffman's posts, because I was forced to take Organic Chem, after a year of General Chemistry, to get my degree in Physics. Now, in layman's terms, coupled with 50+ years of car finish care experience, here is what I do and have discovered:

1) Regardless of its organic chemical composition, Carnuba is the best natural wax of waxes. It is hard, durable, and generally will withstand a month or two of wear on a well kept car finish. It does not interact with the paint/clear coat on any production car.
2) For roughly 2X or more the price, there are synthetic polymers (long chain organic chemicals), that will behave as well or better than Carnuba. I prefer these, as they last about 2X as long, shine just a tad better, and are generally concocted to apply as easily as carnauba.
3) NEVER use any finish care product (I use the word care because it appears on the label, but it is anything but); that, has the words "polish", "cleaner", "glaze", or other similar meaning words in the title or description. Because . . .
4) Most cars have 2 thin color coats and 1 thin clear coat on the surface. Should you make the mistake of "cleaning" or "claying" or "polishing" or "glazing" off that clear coat, your finish will be gone in less than a few months. It will be oxidized by the atmosphere, pollutants, and UV light.
5) Therefore, I use those mild detergent & wax solutions sold in auto stores to mix with water, to wash my car. I treat the surface like I was washing a baby's bottom. I either blow dry (leaf blower serves as a car sized hair dryer) or terry cloth towel to dry the surface. Then, like applying baby oil on same subject's anatomy, I apply carnauba wax or polymer sealant.

I have used a great variety of carnauba based products (avoid Turtle Wax's "Hard Shell" as it does not want to buff off) and polymer sealants. If they are pure products of this type, just about any company's will do.

My longest owned car had 18 years on it, and the finish was as clean and shiny as the day I drove it out of the Lexus showroom.
Old 05-14-2019, 04:56 PM
Nuclear engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glaird View Post
2) For roughly 2X or more the price, there are synthetic polymers (long chain organic chemicals), that will behave as well or better than Carnuba. I prefer these, as they last about 2X as long, shine just a tad better, and are generally concocted to apply as easily as carnauba.
Heaven knows what shadetree school goes from "General Chemistry" to "Organic Chem" after a year! Wheew, a recipe for failure.

https://www.amazon.com/MicroLubrol-S.../dp/B00ZM36ER8

8 ounces 100% $20

I just looked back to see that three semesters of inorganic chemistry was prerequisite for O-chem, and everybody took two semesters to pass organic chemistry 1. It's pretty much a prerequisite for any postgraduate medicine. Fortunately I was retired and taking courses to satisfy my curiosity. College of Charleston and Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston.

Last edited by Doug Huffman; 05-14-2019 at 05:03 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search