GAME OF THRONES: The Final Season! [Trailer] Ongoing Discussion Thread - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. **Note** - Political posting is not allowed (or welcome) at Bimmerfest.

Old 03-05-2019, 10:30 AM
The Entertainment Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to TXSTYLE
Mein Auto: 750i (F01)
Exclamation GAME OF THRONES: The Final Season! [Trailer] Ongoing Discussion Thread

IMO... This is easily the GREATEST SERIES IN TELEVISION HISTORY!

It is already the most successful and epic in scope for HBO, ever.

I have binge watched all 7 seasons repeatedly. And I can't wait for the spinoffs!

But for now, A Man anxiously awaits Spring...

Old 03-05-2019, 05:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 550I
Agree with you 100 percent Marcus! I too have watched every season (when they aired and multiple times on Blu-Ray. I have every season on disc). The best ongoing series PERIOD!!! Looking forward to this final season. I hope the spin offs deliver as this series has year in and year out. Not sure if HBO can capture lighting in the bottle a third time....Sopranos......Game Of Thrones....next..

2008 550i Carbon Black/Tan Leather | M-Sport Package| Comfort Access | Logic 7|SAT/HD | Cold Weather | Luxury Seats |35% Tint
06 750i (retired)
04 Audi S4 (traded)
01 GSXR-750
01MonteroSport Limited
Old 03-05-2019, 06:15 PM
The Entertainment Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by oktane98 View Post
Agree with you 100 percent Marcus! I too have watched every season (when they aired and multiple times on Blu-Ray. I have every season on disc). The best ongoing series PERIOD!!! Looking forward to this final season. I hope the spin offs deliver as this series has year in and year out. Not sure if HBO can capture lighting in the bottle a third time....Sopranos......Game Of Thrones....next..
Exactly!

Old 03-07-2019, 01:54 PM

Mein Auto: '14 535ix / Tesla Model 3
We are very lucky. AT&T is restructuring HBO - but they managed to wait long enough for Game of Thrones to be completed

One more month - we can finally find out the end of the story.
Old 03-07-2019, 02:58 PM
The Entertainment Guru

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by st_o_p View Post
We are very lucky. AT&T is restructuring HBO - but they managed to wait long enough for Game of Thrones to be completed :thumbup
One more month - we can finally find out the end of the story.
Don't even remind me. I have been reading how AT&T, the Vampires that they are, forced out the CEO who has done an amazing job, along with several key veteran positions. AT&T basically wants to convert HBO from "Quality to Quantity". They have said they want to be more like Netflix. Which although I enjoy Netflix, their business model is NOT sustainable! They are over spending by epic amounts vs their profits.
Old 04-13-2019, 09:48 AM
The Entertainment Guru

Thumbs up

TOMORROW....!!!

In the meantime.... Here's a great look back at some of the casts favorite moments:

Old 04-15-2019, 06:35 AM

Strong beginning!!
The story didn't move much and we only have 5 episodes left until there's no more - but then again Season 7 was the same and it turned out very good (despite the 2nd half being weaker than the 1st).
Old 04-15-2019, 07:17 AM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 540i; 428 GC; 340i 6MT
The Little Lord on the Wall bit was pretty cool, as was Dragon Racing into the valleys, a la Luke and R2 into the valley of the Death Star. Loved the new opening sequence. The line of the night was Daenarys' respons e to Sansa's asking "What do dragons eat, anyway?"
2016 428 GC MSport

Prior BMW's
2015 X1 35i xDrive
2015 X1 28i xDrive
2014 535i MSport
2014 328i SportWagon
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 04-15-2019, 11:49 AM
The Entertainment Guru

Lightbulb

As a HUGE fan of the series and have watched the series multiple times... This episode one was a slight letdown. The most eye popping moment was towards the end with that not so subtle "wall event".

The episode did cover lots of ground on west to expect though. Either way... A Man is happy it has returned...

With only a 6 episodes, they each should be 1.5hrs long and 2hr Finale. Sadly the longest will be @ 82min with most @ 60-80min
Old 04-15-2019, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
The Little Lord on the Wall bit was pretty cool, as was Dragon Racing into the valleys, a la Luke and R2 into the valley of the Death Star. Loved the new opening sequence. The line of the night was Daenarys' respons e to Sansa's asking "What do dragons eat, anyway?"
I think the line of the night was
Cercei: "I've killed men for less"
Euron: "They were... lesser men"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
... This episode one was a slight letdown.
To me it wasn't. Unlike some episodes in season 7 that were kind of mixed. I liked this one.

It was kind of "actions have consequences" episode, when Daenerys had to explain to Tarly that she killed his father and brother. Somehow he didn't appear grateful that he now inherits the castle. And Bran meeting Jamie Lannister in the final scene - I'm dying to see how that goes. Though I'm wondering wtf is Jamie doing in Winterfell. He has no army, can't fight with one hand, and it's not like anybody will trust him. But I'm sure there's a plot in the works (and I kind of can figure one part of it).
Old 04-22-2019, 04:28 AM

Oh man, we thought the episode 1 was moving slow. Now we have episode 2 where nothing happens. I'm starting to understand why there's only 6 episodes this season - not enough material.

Except promoting the role of women in medieval society that is. I guess someone took the criticism that GoT depiction is degrading to women to heart. Now all major characters and decision makers are women - Queen Daenerys fighting Queen Cercei with the reluctant support of decision maker Sansa - and her other ally the leader of the Iron Islanders Yara. And of course the big warrior woman that beat The Dog and now was knighted, and Arya being the baddest killer in the show. All men characters have been reduced to secondary roles making supporting sounds. When Jamie Lanister begged Brienne to fight under her in the last battle you know they completely lost it. (And they still didn't explain wtf is he doing in Winterfel).

Season going down fast. At least next episode there will be some action.

Last edited by st_o_p; 04-22-2019 at 04:35 AM.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:25 PM
The Entertainment Guru

Super Ssssssslllllooooooow! But... The dialog was extra witty.
Never fear.... The EPIC Battle is coming next episode with the longest running time!!!
Old 04-23-2019, 07:45 AM
///Monkeyazz Duck

I actually enjoyed the depiction of everyone trying to kill time while waiting to die.

And I thought the emphasis on the women (including references to Melisandre and Lianna Stark) were fine, given the fact that Jon told his auntie "No Iron Throne for You! Get back in the kitchen and bring me some mead!"
2016 428 GC MSport

Prior BMW's
2015 X1 35i xDrive
2015 X1 28i xDrive
2014 535i MSport
2014 328i SportWagon
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 04-28-2019, 10:04 PM
The Entertainment Guru

Only one word can be used to describe tonight's episode....

Old 04-29-2019, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Only one word can be used to describe tonight's episode....

I guess you and I have the exact opposite views when it comes to this show.
I found this episode hugely disappointing. True, I was hungover last night - but it just sucked (for the grandest end-of-times battle). The only good thing in it was the scene with Arya and the Night King.

This season is going down fast. One Ok episode (the 1st one) and 2 [email protected] ones so far. No awesomeness. I was hoping they can keep up with the good stuff from Seasons 6 and 7 - but I'm not seeing it. Still some slim hope for the last 3 episodes.
Old 04-29-2019, 12:33 PM

Warning: MASSIVE SPOILERS below.

I think this article pretty well summarize how lame S8 Episode 3 was:
https://theconcourse.deadspin.com/ce...ons-1834386681
(The point that Cercei is super-smart is off - but the rest is spot on).

Quote:

The "Great War," the war of the living against the dead, the existential fight for the survival of life itself, was fought in one location, in one night, over the span of a few hours. The Night King waltzed into a trap the leaders of the army of the living whipped up in 30 seconds of planning conducted a couple hours before the battle began-Put Bran in the courtyard and surround him by 10 or so professional sailors wielding bows and arrows-and Arya Stark leapfrogged a hundred thousand wights and a half-dozen distracted White Walkers and stabbed the Night King in the belly with a little Valyrian-steel dagger, and he died, and all the White Walkers instantly died, and all the wights instantly returned to inanimate death, and that was it. The Great War-which turned out, for all the scuffling, to have been a far more minor matter than Stannis Baratheon invading the North with like 2,000 dudes-was over, the threat of the White Walkers banished forever, because somebody had the idea to wait for the Night King to come for the Three-Eyed Raven and then an assassin-school dropout jumped very far and poked him once with a knife that couldn't even cut through Catelyn Stark's fingers.

(Why, in 10,000 years, none of the Three-Eyed Ravens had hatched this scheme, despite us recently having seen a Three-Eyed Raven armed with minions, dragonglass, rocks for dragonglass-armed minions to hide behind, a bottlenecking cave to use as a trap, and the sure knowledge that the Night King was coming for him-who knows? The Three-Eyed Ravens all seem to have been, like literally everyone extremely dumb.)

The army of the living did not even fight particularly well or smartly. It didn't need to. Most of its planned (and dumb) defensive measures, in fact, failed catastrophically at the slightest prodding from the hordes of brainless undead. The Dothraki cavalry charged into darkness, far beyond their support, and were wiped out pointlessly. The Unsullied just kinda stood there like dummies and poked at the surging tidal wave of frenzied animate dead with spears, and were wiped out. They set a spike-lined trench ablaze and the wights just laid themselves down on it to make a bridge for each other. The dragons got lost in a blizzard. Drogon blasted away at the Night King with fire for like 30 straight seconds and it didn't even singe his clothes. And for all that, those wights beyond counting couldn't even manage to kill a completely exposed Samwell Tarly, the feeble bookworm who just a couple hours before the battle gave away a huge badass Valyrian-steel sword because he isn't strong enough to hold it upright.

Winter, forewarned for a century, lasted, in total, a few weeks. All in all, this amounted to a minor squabble between rival northern clans: House Stark and its allies on one side, and on the other, House Zombie.

Jon Snow, who'd fought the Army of the Dead at Hardhome and north of the Wall, who'd fought and killed White Walkers, who spent the better part of four seasons telling anyone who'd listen (wrongly, turns out) that all that mattered was fighting on the side of the living against the dead-and who, when it came right down to it, was reduced to shouting at a dragon while his little sister killed Death. She knew better than the Three-Eyed Raven, whose mind and senses are unmoored in space and time and who thus can witness and learn about anything that has ever happened anywhere. She knew better, in fact, than the builders of the Wall, the biggest clowns in the history of this fictional world, who built a completely needless 700-foot ice-and-magic edifice spanning an entire continent when they could have just hired a middle-of-the-pack Faceless Man to shoot a dragonglass arrow into the Night King's butt a thousand years ago and ended the White Walker threat for all time.

Worst part - the whole battle episode was not even very well done. The dragon battle in season 7 was 100 times better.

Last edited by st_o_p; 04-29-2019 at 12:35 PM.
Old 04-29-2019, 05:54 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Did Wun Wun pee in your Cheerios?

There were some nice twists last night, and some wonderful moments (Tyrion and Sansa come to mind). Though I agree that when it counted, Jon proved as d*ckless as Lord Varys. My one big complaint was the cinematography/ What the Absolute F*ck???? For a series that has had masterful cinematography in the past, even in low light scenes (Battle of the Blackwater; Red Wedding) that was DREADFUL. Maybe it looked okay on a 60 inch OLED, but on the average 4K LED set? What a freaking let down.
2016 428 GC MSport

Prior BMW's
2015 X1 35i xDrive
2015 X1 28i xDrive
2014 535i MSport
2014 328i SportWagon
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 04-30-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
Did Wun Wun pee in your Cheerios?

Just disappointed
I was so pumped up about Season 8, after waiting 2 years. And it's my all-time favorite show. Maybe I was expecting too much.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:45 PM

Mein Auto: 435i Gran Coupe
Don't really know what everyone is complaining about in regards to S8E3 - was everything more than I expected.

----MASSIVE SPOILER BELOW HIGHLIGHT AT YOUR OWN RISK-----

My prediction - the Night King's death, while perhaps unexpected this soon, seemed shallow. I don't think its the end of the Night King. Rather Jon Snow will become the Night King as a last resort to help Daenery's defeat Cersei. The implication being that war and death is the never ending fate of Westeros - only to cycle over and over as the army of the dead becomes the doomsday weapon of last resort to claim the Iron Throne.

The real question becomes whether or not, Bran, given his knowledge of the Night King's creation will choose to wield it.

2015 BMW 435i GC MSport (ED Sept 29, 2014)
2004 BMW 530i (retired)
Old 05-13-2019, 04:33 AM

Weird turn last night. Certainly went in unexpected direction.
Still better than the weak sauce that were episodes 2 and 3. At least the battle plan made sense this time, and there was some awesomeness. Just didn't expect what happened after. But in a way - you have to wonder why this didn't happen season 7 episode 1.
Now the last episode will be something to see.

One thing - Cercei was prophesied to be killed by her brother (and her 3 children to die before her). The children certainly came to pass, and last night's events kind of can be considered to fulfill the prophecy - but it was a stretch. I expected something more direct - with a twist.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:33 AM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Lots of twists I really enjoyed. Euron's last words. Varys flambe. A totally different Clegane Bowl than what I'd expected. Jon falling out of love.

The big question for next week: Is Arya still going to kill a queen?
2016 428 GC MSport

Prior BMW's
2015 X1 35i xDrive
2015 X1 28i xDrive
2014 535i MSport
2014 328i SportWagon
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 05-13-2019, 09:16 AM
The Entertainment Guru

The only thing that pissed me off last night was the fact that Cersei died a relatively peaceful death in the arms of a loved one. ***x1f92c;
That f****** horrible b**** deserves a torturous death more than ANYONE on the show!!!! ***x1f92c;
I was hoping Danny would ride her Dragon right through the tower Cersei was watching from and eat her ass mid flight!
Or at least the Hound should have cut her in half with his sword when she crossed by him!
Old 05-15-2019, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: Accord
I love the show, I just feel like this season is too rushed.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:02 AM

https://www.change.org/p/hbo-remake-...petent-writers

833,970 have signed.

Old 05-20-2019, 04:07 AM

Well - the Grand Finale is here - and it was beyond lame. Not sure it could have been any worse - this is basically a big F U for anybody that actually cares about GoT.
In fact the whole Season 8 basically has no redeeming qualities. I'd say Seasons 1-7 were 8-10 out of 10 (maybe S2 was 7). Season 8 was 2 out 10.
I used to say GoT was the best TV show ever made - but after this season I don't think I can say that anymore.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic
Today's Posts Search