Video module. Video INPUT possible? - Page 7 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion of BMW's 4th generation E65/E66 7 Series flagship. The E65 generated much controversy, due to its radical styling and iDrive user difficulties. Nonetheless, the E65 broke records to become the best-selling 7-series iteration ever, especially after its 2005 facelift.

Old 06-12-2019, 12:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 730i E65
Quote:
Originally Posted by cimdahers View Post
Hi,
what do You think of this pair of screens from newer models than e65.
It seems that there is a different type LVDS input than in e65. However, maybe similar?

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk
I haven't red much about that other 4 pin LVDS but from what I can tell they are pretty different. I don't know what signals are sent over them to be differential with that few wires. Maby some differential CVBS like signals?

Skickat från min SM-G955F via Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2019, 12:52 AM

Mein Auto: BMW e65 730d
Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbelito View Post
I haven't red much about that other 4 pin LVDS but from what I can tell they are pretty different. I don't know what signals are sent over them to be differential with that few wires. Maby some differential CVBS like signals?

In TIS I have read that the standard is different. It is a so called apix (automotive pixel link)

Old 06-12-2019, 12:59 AM

Quote:
In TIS I have read that the standard is different. It is a so called apix (automotive pixel link)

Ah then it's completely different in all ways (most likely).
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_pixel_link

Old 06-12-2019, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Ah then it's completely different in all ways (most likely).
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_pixel_link

Thanks. Then those are not useful...

Old 06-12-2019, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Thanks. Then those are not useful...

At least not until we're able to convert our lvds signal to some other format. Then I believe there are converters for video input to those screens.

More on converting LVDS

TMDS (hdmi) use DC whilst LVDS use AC
And lower voltages than TMDS. But I think I have found some converter chips if just someone could use them to build a circuit.

EDIT: I forgot to include my source for this claim https://kompendium.infotip.de/lvds_tmds.html

Last edited by vibbelito; 06-12-2019 at 02:53 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:18 AM

Quote:
At least not until we're able to convert our lvds signal to some other format. Then I believe there are converters for video input to those screens.

More on converting LVDS

TMDS (hdmi) use DC whilst LVDS use AC
And lower voltages than TMDS. But I think I have found some converter chips if just someone could use them to build a circuit.

I'd better focus on android screens then

Old 06-12-2019, 02:30 AM

I also decided to remove the flash memory from my other MMI that I bricked while coding and broke off 3 solder pads so now I can't put it back.
Anyway, not even that chip worked in my programmer, still the dreaded pin detection error. So I think that either my adapter is bad or that my programmer is bad. That sucks... still no dump. So I presume Jtag is the only option left.

Fun fact, you can see the Jtag and UART leads still in place in this photo.

The two unlabeled cables.
The first time I took out my rear MMI I was confused because I couldn't see those leads on mine.

Old 06-19-2019, 10:49 PM

In the meantime while we figure out the lvds converter I think I have found a way to convert the rgb signals to hdmi so that you can at least use the navigation menu, assist menue and view tv and dvd on separate screens when it's been selected on the normal screen.

The thing I have found so far that can convert RGB sync on green is a unit called "wii 2 hdmi". At least the chip used inside claim to be able to convert RGB with sync on green.
https://assemblergames.com/threads/w...insides.57239/
http://www.macrosilicon.com/info.asp...d=2&third_id=3

There might be other units that can do this like a VGA to hdmi adapter that just don't advertise a sync on green function so that has to be tested in that case.

I will test this out when I get the chance.

Old 06-20-2019, 05:29 AM

However, I don't know how it will function. I'm not entirely sure what resolution the RGB signal is?

This may only support a lowest resolution of 640×480 and I don't know what would happen if that criteria is not met. Althoug I am basing this on the spec sheet for a "mini VGA 2 HDMI" converter that uses almost the same converter IC inside as the Wii 2 hdmi converter. This VGA 2 hdmi converter would at least be easier to connect to than my previous suggestion.

I'm gonna order both a vga to cvbs converter and a vga to hdmi converter and maybe a scart to hdmi converter and check out if this will work. If it does I'll probably pull the trigger and buy those rear dual Android monitors that looks exactly the same as the G11 screens and with the NBT UI.

Old 06-20-2019, 05:35 AM

Quote:
However, I don't know how it will function. I'm not entirely sure what resolution the RGB signal is?

This may only support a lowest resolution of 640×480 and I don't know what would happen if that criteria is not met. Althoug I am basing this on the spec sheet for a "mini VGA 2 HDMI" converter that uses almost the same converter IC inside as the Wii 2 hdmi converter. This VGA 2 hdmi converter would at least be easier to connect to than my previous suggestion.

I'm gonna order both a vga to cvbs converter and a vga to hdmi converter and maybe a scart to hdmi converter and check out if this will work. If it does I'll probably pull the trigger and buy those rear dual Android monitors that looks exactly the same as the G11 screens and with the NBT UI.

... and which do You mean those mentioned "Android monitors that looks exactly the same as the G11 screens and with the NBT UI."?

What inputs do they have?

Old 06-20-2019, 08:01 AM

Well not sure how alike they would look in person but I suspect quality is like the front Android screens.
I only find them on aliexpress however.

SEK 3,951.57 16%OFF | 2019 UI Style Latest Product for BMW Rear Seat Entertainment Headrest Android 7.1 System with 11.6 inch Car Pillow Monitor 2PCS
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/WFUmRMU

I think they have 2 CVBS inputs. one of them integrated with the power chord so it can be hidden behind the seat back cover.

Last edited by vibbelito; 06-20-2019 at 08:11 AM.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:23 AM

Consider also this

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F254207822081

And maybe even this

Player For Android 8.1 16G Memory 7 Inch Touch Screen Button HD Car Bluetooth MP5 Player 2 DIN Universal GPS Navigation All In O
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/c8UWXCy

7" 2 DIN MP5 Car MP3 Player Bluetooth Touch Screen Stereo Radio Camera Supports Android IOS System Mirror Connection
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/c7hn7jsc

Old 06-21-2019, 12:51 AM
CRISP & CLEAN

Mein Auto: Ford Pinto
Quote:
Well not sure how alike they would look in person but I suspect quality is like the front Android screens.
I only find them on aliexpress however.

SEK 3,951.57 16%OFF | 2019 UI Style Latest Product for BMW Rear Seat Entertainment Headrest Android 7.1 System with 11.6 inch Car Pillow Monitor 2PCS
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/WFUmRMU

I think they have 2 CVBS inputs. one of them integrated with the power chord so it can be hidden behind the seat back cover.

I installed a set of those in a car . The opposite end of that cable
is a standard RED , WHITE , YELLOW RCA plug ...
Old 06-21-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPER View Post
I installed a set of those in a car . The opposite end of that cable

is a standard RED , WHITE , YELLOW RCA plug ...
How would your say the quality of those screens are? And functionality/speed of them?

Old 06-22-2019, 01:24 AM
CRISP & CLEAN

Quote:
How would your say the quality of those screens are? And functionality/speed of them?

Picture quality was great , but the video signal was coming
from a portable hard-drive tapped into to the car by an
Alpine KCE-420V - A/V switcher for those rear screens .
Also Netflix video through NetGear Push2TV Digital HD Media Streamer
was excellent ...
Old 06-22-2019, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPER View Post
Picture quality was great , but the video signal was coming

from a portable hard-drive tapped into to the car by an

Alpine KCE-420V - A/V switcher for those rear screens .

Also Netflix video through NetGear Push2TV Digital HD Media Streamer

was excellent ...
Did those screens run android?
If they did, how responsive were it? Ie. Fast or slow

Old 06-22-2019, 04:48 AM

Mein Auto: E66 760Li individual
Video module. Video INPUT possible?

Just when im sure that the front unit has an av output that can be inputted into the rear screens to run the same but either way standalone on each screen is far better for all pasengers especially kids not fighting over what yhey wanna watch or do

Last edited by irish745; 06-22-2019 at 04:50 AM.
Old 06-22-2019, 05:56 AM
CRISP & CLEAN

Quote:
Did those screens run android?
If they did, how responsive were it? Ie. Fast or slow

Yes they ran Android , but I didn't play with them .
I only tested all video sources , Ipod classic, Push2tv,
hardive , wireless phone video connection & streaming . The
screens having Android had nothing to do with the install ,
So I never tested it or played with them .

Last edited by PAPER; 06-22-2019 at 05:57 AM.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:30 PM

Since I have now bricked my third MMIF and have a 4rt on order I connected my second front MMI instead and surprisingly it works simultaneously as the normal front one. Or it probably would have if they just ran the same idrive versions.

Anyway this sprung an idea. Since you can probably hook up as many MMI or MMIF as you want this would probably be the easiest obtainable way of getting two 6.5" screens. Just extend the most bus and wire in all the connectors for the second rear mmif, connect your second screen and bam. You now have a dual monitor setup.
Since this is untested however I don't promise it will be entirely bug free. For instance if the two mmif get out of sync for instance they would react differently on the requests and enter different menus. But I think that's just a minor glitch as everything will be sorted by going back to the main menu.

Old 07-10-2019, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Since I have now bricked my third MMIF and have a 4rt on order I connected my second front MMI instead and surprisingly it works simultaneously as the normal front one. Or it probably would have if they just ran the same idrive versions.

Anyway this sprung an idea. Since you can probably hook up as many MMI or MMIF as you want this would probably be the easiest obtainable way of getting two 6.5" screens. Just extend the most bus and wire in all the connectors for the second rear mmif, connect your second screen and bam. You now have a dual monitor setup.
Since this is untested however I don't promise it will be entirely bug free. For instance if the two mmif get out of sync for instance they would react differently on the requests and enter different menus. But I think that's just a minor glitch as everything will be sorted by going back to the main menu.

So, it means that we buy two android front screens, connect them and hang them on backs of the front seats, and we have rear screen multimedia system?
It wouldn't be cheap anyway...

Old 07-11-2019, 12:28 AM

Quote:
So, it means that we buy two android front screens, connect them and hang them on backs of the front seats, and we have rear screen multimedia system?
It wouldn't be cheap anyway...

Well I suppose it is possible to do it that way if you want them to be controlled by the front idrive controller and show the same thing as the front screen. That would mean that you also have to buy 2 normal front idrive units to go with those android units.

I would probably recommend that if someone is to do this and have the rear entertainment system already to just buy a second set of MMIF and display. And then just split the analog rgb signals.

That wouldn't solve the android thing but if done like you suggest and you are fine with them showing the same as the front screen. You could probably build a holder like the oem individual 6.5" system but make room for the larger 8.8" screen and remove the housing around it it would probably look pretty good with those wide screens in the rear. And the android part of it can actually make use of the wider screen.

Edit: Photoshopped a picture for visualisation

Last edited by vibbelito; 07-11-2019 at 12:44 AM.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Well I suppose it is possible to do it that way if you want them to be controlled by the front idrive controller and show the same thing as the front screen. That would mean that you also have to buy 2 normal front idrive units to go with those android units.

I would probably recommend that if someone is to do this and have the rear entertainment system already to just buy a second set of MMIF and display. And then just split the analog rgb signals.

That wouldn't solve the android thing but if done like you suggest and you are fine with them showing the same as the front screen. You could probably build a holder like the oem individual 6.5" system but make room for the larger 8.8" screen and remove the housing around it it would probably look pretty good with those wide screens in the rear. And the android part of it can actually make use of the wider screen.

Actually, since android screen is connected to stock MMI, I can assume that android screen can be attached also to the rear MMIF. The problem probably is again the LVDS connection though...

Haven't You considered to connect front CD (without MMI) to rear MMIF. It woukd be interesting what would rear MMIF shon on thev 8.8" screen instead of 6.5"

Old 07-11-2019, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Actually, since android screen is connected to stock MMI, I can assume that android screen can be attached also to the rear MMIF. The problem probably is again the LVDS connection though...

Haven't You considered to connect front CD (without MMI) to rear MMIF. It woukd be interesting what would rear MMIF shon on thev 8.8" screen instead of 6.5"

Well see this is the only part of the mmi and mmif that are fundamentally different hardwarewise. See these pictures:

MMIF

MMI

The have completely different connectors and signals for the CD so it won't be possible to connect the front CD to the rear cd.
This is why I have bricked 2 MMIF when I have accidentally changed the HW Verision from the rear to the front version...

You can however probably connect the front CD from a CCC to your MMIF

Last edited by vibbelito; 07-11-2019 at 02:20 AM.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Well see this is the only part of the mmi and mmif that are fundamentally different hardwarewise. See these pictures:

MMIF

MMI

The have completely different connectors and signals for the CD so it won't be possible to connect the front CD to the rear cd.
This is why I have bricked 2 MMIF when I have accidentally changed the HW Verision from the rear to the front version...

You can however probably connect the front CD from a CCC to your MMIF
The last sentence gives a hope...
Do You think that a front CD (with MMI detached) can be connected to the rear MMIF (alone, without the rear screen/CD)?

Old 07-11-2019, 02:54 AM

Quote:
The last sentence gives a hope...
Do You think that a front CD (with MMI detached) can be connected to the rear MMIF (alone, without the rear screen/CD)?

Yes I do think a front CD from a CCC system can be connected without major issues. But I think it would look something like this.

One solution could be to use the Avin usa android kit for the E60/E90 CCC. But I think you somehow have to disable the can bus communication in the separate android units so they can be controlled independently except when in oem idrive mode. Because otherwise they will respond to the commands from the front idrive controller whilst in android mode. But if you are okay with two 8.8" android screens for the CCC in the back combined with dual MMIF (if we can't find out how the OEM lvds splitter is built) I don't see why this wouldn't work if you can just find out how to switch between oem idrive and android mode without being able to hold the menue button

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Today's Posts Search