Buying a cheap i8 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW i > BMW i8 I12 (2014 - Current)

BMW i8 I12 (2014 - Current)
The BMW i8 is a carbon fiber and aluminum hybrid halo car.

Old 02-15-2019, 03:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Porsche Cayenne
Buying a cheap i8

I need someone to either talk me into or out of this. Long story short, I've come across a couple i8 coupes that are under 70k.

The other day I even found a CPO car with 75k miles for $59k. MSRPs for these cars was well over 130k.

Lemon title car for about 60k. was repurchased at 1400 miles, currently has just under 20k miles.

A little history: I've always bought used/preowned cars under warranty. I never spent more than 40k on a car before. I have access to good mechanics that can perform basic maintenance for cheap, especially if I can supply my own parts.

If I legitimately wanted to buy this car and put a lot of miles on it (daily drive), what should I look out for?

The depreciation on this car is following most other BMWs, but it's not like a lot of cars out there, especially considering how new it still is. Why is it loosing value so fast? Most supercars and high end sports cars tend to hold value fairly well, but this car seems like an exception to the rule.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2019, 07:39 AM

Mein Auto: 18' Tesla Model 3 Perf.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtmaster303 View Post
I need someone to either talk me into or out of this. Long story short, I've come across a couple i8 coupes that are under 70k.

The other day I even found a CPO car with 75k miles for $59k. MSRPs for these cars was well over 130k.

Lemon title car for about 60k. was repurchased at 1400 miles, currently has just under 20k miles.

A little history: I've always bought used/preowned cars under warranty. I never spent more than 40k on a car before. I have access to good mechanics that can perform basic maintenance for cheap, especially if I can supply my own parts.

If I legitimately wanted to buy this car and put a lot of miles on it (daily drive), what should I look out for?

The depreciation on this car is following most other BMWs, but it's not like a lot of cars out there, especially considering how new it still is. Why is it loosing value so fast? Most supercars and high end sports cars tend to hold value fairly well, but this car seems like an exception to the rule.

I would guess one reason is, it may LOOK fast or look like a super car, but its DOG slow compared to many other cars. I wouldnt ever buy a lemon title BMW anything myself.

The i8 has a zero to 60 of something like 4.4 or 4.0 seconds... and my tesla model 3 performance 4 door sedan can go the same 0-60 in 3.3 seconds for 1/2 the price.

Not a tesla ad, just stating how relatively "slow" the i8 is for what it costs. Much better to get a M3 or something than the hybrid i8. It just looks cool, thats about the only thing it has going for it.

2019 X3 M40i Phytonic Blue |Blk Leather W/Blue Stiching | Alu. Rhombicle trim | Adaptive Suspension | Premium Pack | Drivers Assist | Drivers Assist + | Wireless Charging | 21" 718 Wheels| | Executive Pack | HK Stereo (hers)

18' Tesla Model 3 Performance

BMW CCA #477341
Old 03-01-2019, 04:05 PM

Mein Auto: 740i
what the **** I didn't know model 3 are as fast as Ferrari 458 that's 0-60 in 3.3 sec
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2019, 10:37 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsanhd View Post
what the **** I didn't know model 3 are as fast as Ferrari 458 that's 0-60 in 3.3 sec
Tesla will just talk about 0-60 because it is where EV cars shine due to their instant torque.

Most performance models are yawn inspiring beyond 60mph.

Don't be confused - beyond 60MPH, performance model Tesla's leave much to be desired in relation to their 0-60 times.

A 458 will obliterate a Model 3 Performance from 60-120, which is a big selling point for super cars.

In that same regard, and i8 is faster than a Model 3 Performance above 60 MPH.

Last edited by pooker; 03-13-2019 at 10:49 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:49 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 228i
I was thinking the same thing on getting a BMW i8 ... but I'm seeing a price range of $65K-$69K in my area with low mileage and no accident (5k - 20K mileage). Tesla Model 3 high-end version may be faster 0-60 by a split second, but getting the i8 - it not about the speed, but the supercar spacespace look. I was thinking about the Audi R8, but the i8 is more practical with a back seat and bigger trunk space. Compare to the Audi R8 13/19 MPG, the BMW i8 gets 28/29 MPG city/highway. Still thinking about it. The i8 has a decent 0-60 at 4.1 seconds, just like the basic Audi R8, and Tesla high end version is around 3.5 seconds - about 0.5 seconds faster on a straight line drag, but the BMW i8 may perform better on curvy roads than the Tesla due to the lower center of gravity. The BMW i8 beats the M4 and the R8 in a couple of Youtube drag race. It is not slow, but on par with other fast street cars. However, I would not recommend you get a car with 75,000 miles

Here's the Youtube i8 vs R8

I don't know what people are saying but the i8 can beat the BMW M4 (which is the coupe version of the BMW M3). So, it is not slow LOL.

Last edited by cyber; 03-21-2019 at 02:21 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:22 PM

I'm not really concerned about performance stats. Outside of a track the stats are almost meaningless. The car is quick, that's all you really need to know.
I don't think this car will appreciate, but I doubt it will lose much more value than it already has. It looks stunning in person just like the original R8
Parts seem cheap too considering the mini Cooper engine
Grrrrr so tempted
Old 03-21-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
I'm not really concerned about performance stats. Outside of a track the stats are almost meaningless. The car is quick, that's all you really need to know.
I don't think this car will appreciate, but I doubt it will lose much more value than it already has. It looks stunning in person just like the original R8
Parts seem cheap too considering the mini Cooper engine
Grrrrr so tempted
I agree, the car is quick. Anything below 4.5 seconds 0-60 is quick for me on the streets. The R8 was my original dream car to buy, but the i8 seems to be more practical with space and gas mpg consumption.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:58 PM

Anotehr drag race .i8 did decent runs.
Old 04-23-2019, 01:47 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 330I
Quote:

Like you I've always purchased used cars and am currently driving a 645CI which I love but have been looking at the I8 as a hybrid. First I'd do my research on the car and look at reviews.
Things I like about the I8
1)Looks damn cool
2)Very up to day in tech (mostly)
3) Ride is not to bad.
4) Unless your a speed freak it holds up not to bad when going fast (Yes I know the Tesla will blow it out of the water as well as other cars)

Things I don't like
1) Damn doors can be a pain if you end up parking in a tight spot.
2) Trunk space sucks.
3) EV gives crap for millage 15 - 20 miles
4 If not Pre-certifited and you have issues get ready to spend some major coin
5) Can't do self maintance on the car like other BMW's

My answer (And I'm still on the fence) If you want a very low end hybrid that looks damn cool and rides great then I'd say get it but make sure it's pre-certified by BMW so you still have a warranty. If your looking for a EV car that gets good millage then no. Doors can be a pain, trunk space is crap and you can't really work on it.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 i8
Three months ago, gtmaster303 asked about buying a cheap i8. Likely that deal is done by now. Agree, never buy any car, including a BMW, with a defective title. If any car is cheaper than others, there is a reason that may or may not be acceptable to your personal choices. Rather than cheap, my BMW i8 search was focused on value. I'd worked at two BMW retail centers in the '90's so learned a few things. The Internet has made car-buying way different since. I don't begrudge the dealer making a profit; but, I don't like to be taken advantage of. Due-diligence for value.

I'd been driving my E34 M5 since 2008 when I was asked to sell it last year, same guy again this April. My plan was to buy a new i3s then sell the M5. The i3s is a practical urban car for me. I had waited 15 months for my dealer to receive a i3s allocation and still nothing by April 2019. I'd discovered that I'd been spending $795 per month since 2010 to drive the M5, exclusive of insurance. Yep, it was cheap then; but, not so cheap in the long run. The proceeds from the M5 sale in April plus the new i3s price made a previously-enjoyed i8 in range. I opted for fun over practical after my first i8 test drive.

I've matured past the 'got-a be fastest' so moved on past M cars to innovative BMW i cars. I narrowed my search to an i8 with two criteria; BMW CPO and clean CARFAX. I used two online tools. BMWUSA.com helped me find all 10 i8s for sale within 500 miles. CARFAX provided value for each of the i8s by VIN.

Caution. Do your own 'due-diligence'. Research values at Edmunds, Blue Book, Black Book, CARFAX etc. Go look at the car and examine it. I found the perfect i8 only to feel frame damage while examining what the dealer thought was a clean CARFAX car just from auction. To his credit, the Preowned Manager withdrew that car, returned it to auction for full refund and switched me to an off-lease i8 his customer had just turned in. He was grateful that I saved the dealership a $28,000 frame repair; so, he priced the second i8 $1,800 under CARFAX value. I accepted without counter-offer and drove away with an all-option 2015 with only 8,300 miles. Its value, not cheap.

Last edited by Bertram28; 05-16-2019 at 07:48 AM.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertram28 View Post
Three months ago, gtmaster303 asked about buying a cheap i8. Likely that deal is done by now. Agree, never buy any car, including a BMW, with a defective title. If any car is cheaper than others, there is a reason that may or may not be acceptable to your personal choices. Rather than cheap, my BMW i8 search was focused on value. I'd worked at two BMW retail centers in the '90's so learned a few things. The Internet has made car-buying way different since. I don't begrudge the dealer making a profit; but, I don't like to be taken advantage of. Due-diligence for value.

I'd been driving my E34 M5 since 2008 when I was asked to sell it last year, same guy again this April. My plan was to buy a new i3s then sell the M5. The i3s is a practical urban car for me. I had waited 15 months for my dealer to receive a i3s allocation and still nothing by April 2019. I'd discovered that I'd been spending $795 per month since 2010 to drive the M5, exclusive of insurance. Yep, it was cheap then; but, not so cheap in the long run. The proceeds from the M5 sale in April plus the new i3s price made a previously-enjoyed i8 in range. I opted for fun over practical after my first i8 test drive.

I've matured past the 'got-a be fastest' so moved on past M cars to innovative BMW i cars. I narrowed my search to an i8 with two criteria; BMW CPO and clean CARFAX. I used two online tools. BMWUSA.com helped me find all 10 i8s for sale within 500 miles. CARFAX provided value for each of the i8s by VIN.

Caution. Do your own 'due-diligence'. Research values at Edmunds, Blue Book, Black Book, CARFAX etc. Go look at the car and examine it. I found the perfect i8 only to feel frame damage while examining what the dealer thought was a clean CARFAX car just from auction. To his credit, the Preowned Manager withdrew that car, returned it to auction for full refund and switched me to an off-lease i8 his customer had just turned in. He was grateful that I saved the dealership a $28,000 frame repair; so, he priced the second i8 $1,800 under CARFAX value. I accepted without counter-offer and drove away with an all-option 2015 with only 8,300 miles. Its value, not cheap.
Curious what did you pay?
Still looking at them, haven't grown the balls to pull the trigger yet.
Found one still under warranty until October with 3500 miles for 57k. Clean title, no salvage
Old 05-24-2019, 02:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 i8
I owned an R8 v10 and now I have an i8. The R8 is really cool and sounds like a supercar. The i8 is more fun and its really comfortable on a long trip with very little noise. However, I would only get something with a warranty because repairs can be pretty expensive.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc45 View Post
I owned an R8 v10 and now I have an i8. The R8 is really cool and sounds like a supercar. The i8 is more fun and its really comfortable on a long trip with very little noise. However, I would only get something with a warranty because repairs can be pretty expensive.
Are you saying that from speculation or experience? Engine is shared with a mini Cooper, I can't imagine that would be expensive to repair. Considering it's a high performance hybrid though, there may be a lot to go wrong though
Old 06-25-2019, 10:04 AM

Mein Auto: X5, 328d xi
Exclamation

Things I don't like
1) Damn doors can be a pain if you end up parking in a tight spot- NOT True and very easy if not better than any 2 door coupe !!

2) Trunk space sucks - Its small but adequate for a sport car

3) EV gives crap for millage 15 - 20 miles- you only need this for a 0-60 boost and AWD winter driving not for a distance, if you search my posts back from 2016 you can get 40+mpg with hypermiling
https://bmwi.bimmerpost.com/forums/s...php?p=20319574
https://bmwi.bimmerpost.com/forums/s...1270757&page=2

4 If not Pre-certifited and you have issues get ready to spend some major coin = 100%
5) Can't do self maintance on the car like other BMW's = Agree, not for another 4-6+ years

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrobinson001 View Post
Like you I've always purchased used cars and am currently driving a 645CI which I love but have been looking at the I8 as a hybrid. First I'd do my research on the car and look at reviews.
Things I like about the I8
1)Looks damn cool
2)Very up to day in tech (mostly)
3) Ride is not to bad.
4) Unless your a speed freak it holds up not to bad when going fast (Yes I know the Tesla will blow it out of the water as well as other cars)

Things I don't like
1) Damn doors can be a pain if you end up parking in a tight spot.
2) Trunk space sucks.
3) EV gives crap for millage 15 - 20 miles
4 If not Pre-certifited and you have issues get ready to spend some major coin
5) Can't do self maintance on the car like other BMW's

My answer (And I'm still on the fence) If you want a very low end hybrid that looks damn cool and rides great then I'd say get it but make sure it's pre-certified by BMW so you still have a warranty. If your looking for a EV car that gets good millage then no. Doors can be a pain, trunk space is crap and you can't really work on it.
2014 X5 50i, 2014 328xi GT
2016 X6 50i, 2016 i8, 2019 X5 40i
2018 328d xi
Old 06-25-2019, 11:13 AM
Bimmer Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 2017 M4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc45 View Post
This is excellent advice especially when the car in question has a defective title.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW i > BMW i8 I12 (2014 - Current)
Today's Posts Search