i3 coding - Page 13 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW i > BMW i3 I01 (2014 - Current)

BMW i3 I01 (2014 - Current)
The BMW i3 and BMW i8 are the first two cars launch under BMW's new sub brand BMW i. The i3 is an all carbon fiber, all electric vehicle meant for urban mobility.

Old 11-26-2017, 08:27 PM

Mein Auto: i3
Coding hardware/software

Hi All,

New to this forum. I've used VAG/COM for my Audi S4 but now an acquiring a new to me i3 and want to tweak the usual settings.

I have a MacBook Pro which does not have an ethernet port. Are the Bluetooth or Wifi OBD2 dongles an option? If so, any that are "preferred"? Recommendations on software would be appreciated as well!

Regards,
Craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2017, 09:13 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2016 650i GC M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbennet1 View Post
Hi All,

New to this forum. I've used VAG/COM for my Audi S4 but now an acquiring a new to me i3 and want to tweak the usual settings.

I have a MacBook Pro which does not have an ethernet port. Are the Bluetooth or Wifi OBD2 dongles an option? If so, any that are "preferred"? Recommendations on software would be appreciated as well!

Regards,
Craig
You will only be able to use a USB x LAN Adapter, and a ENET Cable. Software on Mac will need to run in a Windows Virtual Machine.

2016 650i GC M-Sport w/ 20" 373M Wheels; Alpine White; Individual Opal White Full Merino Leather; Gray Poplar Wood Trim
Anthracite Alcantara Headliner; Ceramic Controls; Executive Package w/ B&O Sound System; Integral Active Steering, etc.
Old 11-26-2017, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
You will only be able to use a USB x LAN Adapter, and a ENET Cable. Software on Mac will need to run in a Windows Virtual Machine.
Thank you for the confirmation. Hardware ordered!
Old 11-26-2017, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbennet1 View Post
Thank you for the confirmation. Hardware ordered!

2016 650i GC M-Sport w/ 20" 373M Wheels; Alpine White; Individual Opal White Full Merino Leather; Gray Poplar Wood Trim
Anthracite Alcantara Headliner; Ceramic Controls; Executive Package w/ B&O Sound System; Integral Active Steering, etc.
Old 12-20-2017, 06:07 PM

I just got my i3 back from the shop after taking it in for the i3 recall. First thing that I noticed other than that all of my coded mods were gone but also that the software itself must have been updated to a newer version. Many of the menus have changed and some items have removed. I've coded my i3 three time before so as soon as I got home I fired up E-sys and started to go at it. After connecting and reading the edu I didn't see any of the modules that I expected to see (ASCM2, BDC_BODY, BKOMBI and HU_NBT) and when I selected the CAFD module and tried to read the coding data it failed. Has anyone else ran into this since taking their i3 in to get the new recall software installed?

Thanks,

dave
Old 12-20-2017, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d451d View Post
I just got my i3 back from the shop after taking it in for the i3 recall. First thing that I noticed other than that all of my coded mods were gone but also that the software itself must have been updated to a newer version. Many of the menus have changed and some items have removed. I've coded my i3 three time before so as soon as I got home I fired up E-sys and started to go at it. After connecting and reading the edu I didn't see any of the modules that I expected to see (ASCM2, BDC_BODY, BKOMBI and HU_NBT) and when I selected the CAFD module and tried to read the coding data it failed. Has anyone else ran into this since taking their i3 in to get the new recall software installed?

Thanks,

dave
You need to update. PM sent.

Old 12-20-2017, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: Test Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by d451d View Post

Thanks,

dave
Names do not traditionally change, but firmware on vehicle > computer PSdZ means it is time to update. Self-Service.
Old 12-20-2017, 07:50 PM

Mein Auto: '99 323i
Same here: I got my i3 back from the airbag recall, and saw I needed to update my psdzdata. So I got 3.63.3, but now I don't get any connection options with the new psdz. It just shows a blank screen and my VIN. Do I need to patch something with Tokenmaster's launcher?

Old psdzdata allows connection, new psdz shows blank target connection options.

Last edited by czarmar; 12-20-2017 at 07:56 PM.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by czarmar View Post
Same here: I got my i3 back from the airbag recall, and saw I needed to update my psdzdata. So I got 3.63.3, but now I don't get any connection options with the new psdz. It just shows a blank screen and my VIN. Do I need to patch something with Tokenmaster's launcher?

Extract PSdZData only with 7-Zip or WinRar, and copy PSdZData folder to C:\Data.

Old 12-20-2017, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by czarmar View Post

That is user error. Make sure you have something like the following:

C:\Data\psdzdata\mainseries\I001\I001-17-11-541\odx\dist
Old 12-26-2017, 06:44 AM

I bought a little wi-fi plug on Amazon and paid $25 to an app on my iPhone and Im able to code the system from my iPhone. Works great.
Old 12-26-2017, 05:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT; i3 BEV
You can probably do more with other methods, but BimmerCode app does work, and especially in the default mode (not expert), it's pretty simplistic.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:11 PM

Im on a Mac and from what I saw those apps were PC only, so I found a nice option. It did everything I want except I don't see the option to stop the welcome chimes when I start the car.
Old 12-26-2017, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredlove View Post
Im on a Mac and from what I saw those apps were PC only, so I found a nice option. It did everything I want except I don't see the option to stop the welcome chimes when I start the car.
E-sys is Windows program that can be run natively or in VM.
Bimmercode is IOS or Android.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
Yeah. Thats the app that I used. I should look in the advanced area for the 3 tones to shut off. Any idea what the name of that feature is? Thanks.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredlove View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
Yeah. Thats the app that I used. I should look in the advanced area for the 3 tones to shut off. Any idea what the name of that feature is? Thanks.
Welcome gong, acoustic belt warning, or initial.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:39 PM

Thanks. Will check it out as soon as I get back in after getting the car back from dealer doing the recall.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:54 AM

Mein Auto:
Is premium launcher sufficient to code the i3 using e-sys (basic things like legal disclaimer, am radio, etc.) or is pro recommended?
Old 07-10-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy320 View Post
Is premium launcher sufficient to code the i3 using e-sys (basic things like legal disclaimer, am radio, etc.) or is pro recommended?
PREMIUM is fine.

Old 07-10-2019, 10:54 AM

Mein Auto:
Hi, I'm trying to connect to my 2015 i3 using Esys and an OBD to Ethernet cable but I keep getting a "no zgw available" error. I have v4.16 of PSdZ installed on my computer. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by friednoodles View Post
Hi, I'm trying to connect to my 2015 i3 using Esys and an OBD to Ethernet cable but I keep getting a "no zgw available" error. I have v4.16 of PSdZ installed on my computer. Any help would be appreciated.
Run Motor
Make sure Cable is Firm in OBD Port
Disable Windows Firewall / Defender on PC

Old 07-11-2019, 02:54 PM

Mein Auto:
Need some help from any brainy coders out there.

I have changed the steering wheel on my 2017 REX, and the steering buttons are not working. I have tried in Bimmercode 3140 PfLSteeringWheel. and tried F15/F45/F56/F16 and nicht_aktiv. it was set to I01. still not working??? am I not doing it right?

Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190711-193001_BimmerCode.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	857803   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190711-193233_BimmerCode.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	857805   Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	857809  

Last edited by Christopheri3; 07-11-2019 at 03:02 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopheri3 View Post
Need some help from any brainy coders out there.

I have changed the steering wheel on my 2017 REX, and the steering buttons are not working. I have tried in Bimmercode 3140 PfLSteeringWheel. and tried F15/F45/F56/F16 and nicht_aktiv. it was set to I01. still not working??? am I not doing it right?

Thanks in advance
Are you sure wheel is compatible and connected correctly? Did you try VO coding with E-sys? Check ISTA+?
Old 07-23-2019, 11:12 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
Yesterday I ran into a 2016 i3 with HUNBT and video would not playback at all. Any video or movie in MP4 would give only audio but not video. This is while parked even though I coded it for video in motion. I've never run across this before. Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Old 07-23-2019, 12:55 PM
Achtung! Hochspannung!

Mein Auto: 2018 i3, F10 535d
Quote:
Originally Posted by krumian View Post
Yesterday I ran into a 2016 i3 with HUNBT and video would not playback at all. Any video or movie in MP4 would give only audio but not video. This is while parked even though I coded it for video in motion. I've never run across this before. Any thoughts?

Thanks.
The HU-B NBT will only play back audio, not video. The HU-H will play back video.

At least this has always been my experience in the i3, never gotten a car without driving/tech package to play back video. Size of the screen is always the indicator in i3, small screen=HU-B.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW i > BMW i3 I01 (2014 - Current)
Today's Posts Search