Video module. Video INPUT possible? - Page 8 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion of BMW's 4th generation E65/E66 7 Series flagship. The E65 generated much controversy, due to its radical styling and iDrive user difficulties. Nonetheless, the E65 broke records to become the best-selling 7-series iteration ever, especially after its 2005 facelift.

Old 07-11-2019, 03:01 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW e65 730d
Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbelito View Post
Yes I do think a front CD from a CCC system can be connected without major issues. But I think it would look something like this.

One solution could be to use the Avin usa android kit for the E60/E90 CCC. But I think you somehow have to disable the can bus communication in the separate android units so they can be controlled independently except when in oem idrive mode. Because otherwise they will respond to the commands from the front idrive controller whilst in android mode. But if you are okay with two 8.8" android screens for the CCC in the back combined with dual MMIF (if we can't find out how the OEM lvds splitter is built) I don't see why this wouldn't work if you can just find out how to switch between oem idrive and android mode without being able to hold the menue button

Skickat från min SM-G955F via Tapatalk
Thanks.
Will leave it as an option. Better to find the LVDS splitting and conversion option. These android screens are a bit too expensive for such a project. And additional MMIFs should be necessary as well. That's costly in total.
Switching between android mode actually is also possible without pressing the menu button - just touch the screen.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2019, 03:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 730i E65
The individual infotainment online computer is called MMX and has part number 7899131

Old 07-11-2019, 03:19 AM

And where it is located?

Old 07-11-2019, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimdahers View Post
And where it is located?

At the right side of the luggage compartment in front of the hatch for the battery.

Old 07-11-2019, 03:36 AM

What does it actually do?

Old 07-11-2019, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Thanks.
Will leave it as an option. Better to find the LVDS splitting and conversion option. These android screens are a bit too expensive for such a project. And additional MMIFs should be necessary as well. That's costly in total.
Switching between android mode actually is also possible without pressing the menu button - just touch the screen.

Okay, yeah I will get on it as soon a I receive my next MMIF

But this would nevertheless look pretty epic

Old 07-11-2019, 05:36 AM

Quote:
What does it actually do?

This is the only video I have found so far of this system being used but you can see that you can use the internet on one screen at the same time as a properly scaled normal idrive is used on the other screen.

I have asked the owner if he can provide more details on it and its connections. Also asked my dealer for this part number.

Old 07-11-2019, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Okay, yeah I will get on it as soon a I receive my next MMIF

But this would nevertheless look pretty epic

Looks really good

Old 07-11-2019, 05:45 AM

Quote:
This is the only video I have found so far of this system being used but you can see that you can use the internet on one screen at the same time as a properly scaled normal idrive is used on the other screen.

I have asked the owner if he can provide more details on it and its connections. Also asked my dealer for this part number.

Screens seem to be much more bigger than standards

Old 07-11-2019, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Screens seem to be much more bigger than standards

9.5" are they and this option costed over 20000 euro when new

Old 07-12-2019, 07:15 AM

Mein Auto: E66 760Li individual
So i wonder .as u say the rear mmigt is capable of driving the bigger front screen plugged into the lvds cable
So would that mean my individual system that has the lvds splitter in it thats driving 2 original 6.5 screens drive the bigger 9.5 screens then .obviously finding a screen that size with lvds input is the issue .what we really need is a lvds to hdmi converter so we could use most tablets or be fantastic if the chinese android rear setups had lvds inputs lol or they made their android front screen with outputs to feed the rear screens they do .i do like the original setup that allows the rear passengers to be independent to the front via the headset interface but still be able to see whats on the front too .this makes it far better than the chinese aftermarket which basically makes it a standalone tablet system which i dont want

Sent from my SM-G390F using Tapatalk
Old 07-14-2019, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish745 View Post
So i wonder .as u say the rear mmigt is capable of driving the bigger front screen plugged into the lvds cable
So would that mean my individual system that has the lvds splitter in it thats driving 2 original 6.5 screens drive the bigger 9.5 screens then .obviously finding a screen that size with lvds input is the issue .what we really need is a lvds to hdmi converter so we could use most tablets or be fantastic if the chinese android rear setups had lvds inputs lol or they made their android front screen with outputs to feed the rear screens they do .i do like the original setup that allows the rear passengers to be independent to the front via the headset interface but still be able to see whats on the front too .this makes it far better than the chinese aftermarket which basically makes it a standalone tablet system which i dont want

Well I think it's able to drive the 8.8" screen from the CCC system but I don't think the picture will look right as it's not ment to drive that screen. But as you already have the lvds signal split I think you could use 2 of the front android screens for the CCC with success. (I cant guarantee that it will work however since I haven't tried so this is just theoretically. )

I'm not really sure how the 9.5" monitors are driven as I think they are of a higher resolution so that would mean that the norman idrive lvds signal would have to be up scaled to not look like it does in the Rolls Royce with the 9.2" (I think it was) screens.

Where the idrive menus are just displayed on the center portion of the screen with black borders around.

So there might be a chance that the idrive computer is somehow integrated Into the individual pc system or somehow upscaled or maby even ported to run on the pc itself.

Because this is the boot screen that shows when the system is turned on instead of the bmw logo.

And then the idrive menus look sharp and stretched perfectly.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:27 AM

I did some experimenting and this is how it looks when the RGB video from the VM is input to a tv.
This particular tv wasn't able to display rgb so that's why it's black and white but I'll see if I can find a tv that can.

Old 07-15-2019, 10:28 AM

My projector wasn't either able to display rgb over component cables but it was however able to display the wider aspect ratio without looking squashed.

Old 07-16-2019, 06:55 AM

If we could get this circuit built to our specifications there's a chance that we can convert the lvds signal to hdmi/DVI-D

http://e2e.ti.com/support/interface/...245963/2332967

Old 07-16-2019, 09:52 AM

I asked this question about how to convert the lvds signal from the DS90CR215 to HDMI on a Texas instrument support forum and got this answer

"just adding cap and 50 ohm pullup to 3.3v"

So if that holds true this conversion seems within reach.

Edit: i answered this "That seems almost to easy.
Would that be to each of the 8 signal wires?
I thought that some ic would be needed to convert from this 8 pin (positive and negative R, G, B and sync) lvds video signal to TMDS."

And then got this awnser from another person.

"You are correct, please see this thread for potential solutions:*https://e2e.ti.com/support/interface/f/138/p/245963/2332967*"

So he pointed me to the thing I posted in the previous post.

Last edited by vibbelito; 07-17-2019 at 02:43 AM.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:43 AM

I got my 4th MMIF today and tried my home made LVDS to HDMI cable I made a couple of months ago and it didn't work like I suspected.

Old 07-17-2019, 12:24 PM

I managed to flash update my 2002 MMI to the facelift interface. It had the old idrive interface before. So now it is actually working with the new software with only one problem. It's not able to display anything from the rgb input (navi,dvd,tv) and that might be because the pre FL and post FL have different analog to digital converters for the rgb input so this new software doesn't seem to be able to make use of the older chip. Apart from that everything works. Even AUX input which is the main reason many people upgrade from the pre fl to FL unit. When they could just have updated their old unit (if they are fine with no GPS).

The updating process was rather interesting. First I had to choose what to update in (winkfp) comfort mode and then switch over to expert mode and select my facelift software file and press Flash. Then it prompted me that it was the wrong project/HW and then proceeded to flash it which took maby 20-30min.

Then everything went quiet and black and the idrive wouldn't want to work so I cleared all fault codes, restarted the car but still nothing so I checked the programming status that showd the MMI in state 11, reference; program -> hardware

So then I went inside for a while to prepare for flashing back the older software. And when I went back out and started the car it just started working from nowhere.

So then I coded it to my car and the sound started to work. Everything except the navigation.

Old 07-17-2019, 02:19 PM

To be honest im lost with all ur info but seen this and dont know if it could help but worth a try .this guy has built a lvds convertor for f series so wonder can he help with what u need https://www.facebook.com/groups/7961...3227452878015/

Old 07-18-2019, 12:27 AM

Quote:
To be honest im lost with all ur info but seen this and dont know if it could help but worth a try .this guy has built a lvds convertor for f series so wonder can he help with what u need https://www.facebook.com/groups/7961...3227452878015/

I don't seem to be able to open your link.

Sorry if it's hard to follow, I think we should trying to move all the talk of a video output to its own thread and mabey clean up this thread. But to be able to move all those posts some admin would have to help or give me permissions to do it.

Old 07-18-2019, 12:44 AM

Quote:

Sorry if it's hard to follow, I think we should trying to move all the talk of a video output to its own thread and mabey clean up this thread. But to be able to move all those posts some admin would have to help or give me permissions to do it.

I am reading all of it with great interest. Keep posting even without any feedback. That's great what You are doing We can use the info provided herein as we deem necessary.

Old 07-18-2019, 12:48 AM

Quote:

Maybe this?

https://indiworkshop.com/shop/all-in...04b-n-for-bmw/

Old 07-18-2019, 01:09 AM

Screenshot

Old 07-18-2019, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Screenshot

I found the group. And the guy who built that also seem to be from sweden like me so I will try to pm him and see if he can help.

Old 07-18-2019, 02:28 AM

That sounds promising

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Today's Posts Search