2009 Z4 sDrive 35i - Engine is Toast? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 08-27-2019, 10:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW Z3 3.0i
2009 Z4 sDrive 35i - Engine is Toast?

After years of great Z3 ownership, I went and bought a C6 Corvette Z51. After selling that, I decided to buy a 2009 Z4 35i with 71,900 miles on it from a used car dealer. Carfax had a great service history with recent oil change at 68k miles and no recommended service items. four days later, while driving 40 mph, I head a loud rattling from the engine bay, so I immediately pulled over. At idle after parking, the noise was a metallic bang/rattle from the top side of the engine.

Got it towed to my local independent BMW guy I used for my Z3 maintenance and repair; he said that if it isn't terminal now, it definitely will be if I drive it any longer then recommended a dealer, as he didn't have all the equipment necessary to work on the car.

So, then, I towed it from him to a BMW dealership (special thanks to GEICO for the free tows under the roadside assistance program).

Oil level is fine, no CELs, no dropped cylinders, no chugging or misfires and no leaks or odd exhaust smoke.

I've looked at a variety of sources that said it could be anything from a broken valve spring to cam bearings or crank bearings and it could be an easy fix, to a totalled block.

I'm kind of freaking out here waiting on the diagnosis from the dealer. So, while I'm crapping blood and chewing fingernails, does anyone have a similar experience and if so, what was the outcome?

Thanks for sharing!

2001 BMW Z3 - 3.0i - Hellrot II - 100% OEM; Down to the Tires (Dunlop 8080E)

Last edited by Z3PO; 08-27-2019 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Corrected spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2019, 08:59 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i, 2006 525xi
I feel your pain. Next time consider a prepurchase inspection.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/12, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black leather, 6 MT, ///M Sport, Premium Package, Premium Sound Package, Cold Weather Package, Nav, Comfort Access, LED Angel Eyes, BMWPedals pedal covers, stubby antenna, Luxon strut bar, CF engine cover, LCI side marker, powder coated calipers, Extra Enjoyment Package
Old 09-09-2019, 03:55 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW Z4 3.0
It is a shame this happened to your car. It may be the Vanos unit. Please, let us know what the diagnosis is for you car. Take care.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)
Today's Posts Search