Drivetrain malfunction - stranded - dealer needs help - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X3 M, X5 M, X6 M, Z3 M & Z4 M > F85 X5 M and F86 X6 M (2016 - Current)

F85 X5 M and F86 X6 M (2016 - Current)
The BMW X5 M and X6 M are high-performance derivative of the X5 and X6. Introduced at the 2014 LA Auto Show and appearing in dealerships in 2015. Both modeles are powered by BMW's S63tu twin turbo charged V8 making 567 HP and 553 lb-ft of torque, the most power for any BMW xDrive vehicle.

Old 08-09-2019, 08:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5M
Drivetrain malfunction - stranded - dealer needs help

Just bought a 2015 X5M with Dinan stage 1 + exhaust and 22" wheels. Car drove great for 400 miles but needed tires so I replaced all four with alignment (Toyo Proxes that do have a 1.3% size diff but are used by several people on various forums). A day or 2 later we noticed a pull from side-to-side under medium-hard accelleration a couple times but didn't have time to get it checked out before a trip

In the hills this happened several times (fairly hard pulling and then the engine felt like it was between gears and sounded a loud mechanical whine, before a hard clunk shift up). I limped it down the mountain. Disabling DSC lessened the side-side but not the power problem. Tried getting on the freeway and it wouldn't pull over 60MPH and so took side streets to the dealer in Chico, CA where by the time I arrived was constantly cutting power. The check engine light is NOT on and one time I got the power cut screen error but restarting the car cleared it (but not the power cut)

However, the dealer cannot hook his diagnostic tools up because the Dinan ECU seems to be interfering with the system (even though the reason Dinan charges 3k is to allow BMW tecks to work on it!). I noticed that Bimmercode app with an MX adapter also couldn't sync with the ECU so I believe their problem is possible. E-Sys with a enet adapter was able to read various ecus though (never tried ISTA)

Any ideas on what this could be or how to get the Dinan system to behave? The dealer tech hadn't seen any piggyback problems before, but wasn't an expert on them and so didn't know what step to take next. I'm thinking it needs either a bmw or dinan flash upgrade or remove the dinan (which they don't know how to do) but if this problem sounds familiar, maybe I can have the problem solved.

I'm now 200 miles from the car and need to find a way they can fix it in Chico - otherwise I need it towed to Sacramento or back to Bay Area (mega $$)

TIA...

Last edited by ViperBoy2; 08-09-2019 at 08:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2019, 10:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5M
Turned out to be a bad ignition coil that which caused engine management to cut power, but not full limp mode which in turn cascaded into causing DSC to go crazy. Cutting power makes sense, but having the car pull hard side-side definitely didn't. The Dinan certified shop was able to decode the errors after talking to the parent company. The car needed its 30k spark plug replacement anyways so had them and all coils replaced

As I tell my friends contemplating BMWs - the drive quality is amazing but reliability is absolutely aweful. As long as you know that going in, you won't get surprised by all the unexpected, costly failures...

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X3 M, X5 M, X6 M, Z3 M & Z4 M > F85 X5 M and F86 X6 M (2016 - Current)
Today's Posts Search