New VANOS - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 09-11-2019, 11:13 AM

Mein Auto: 99 528iAT
New VANOS

Well, not new new but rebuilt. I acquired another unit from a same year car and rebuilt it with all new seals and a serious cleaning.
The swap was simple with the biggest PITA being removal of the fan and shroud. Why couldn't BMW have used a two piece shroud?
Only have about 100 or miles on it so far but I can definitely feel more low end power. Will wait for a couple of tanks of gas before making any pronouncements about improvements in mileage.
I am still not happy with the idle. Maybe time will smooth it out more. It is not rough but I just feel it should be smoother.
I am still planning on replacing the fuel filter and cleaning the ICV. I have a spare that I will clean and then just do a swap. When you only have one car it is nice to have spares to rebuild or whatever and then the car only has to be done for a swap.
I have a spare throttle body as well. Since the 1999 528i has the M52b28TU with the odd ball throttle with a throttle cable but with a throttle motor for the cruise control.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2019, 11:18 AM
RIP #9

Mein Auto: 2003 525i
If the ICV is mechanically stuck (as mine was) due to carbon build-up, you will observe instantaneous improvement after cleaning it.

What is the condition of the DISA valve on your engine?

Last edited by TheHockeytowner; 09-11-2019 at 11:20 AM.
Old 09-11-2019, 11:52 AM

Mein Auto: 99 528iAT
I've had it out once and it is not broken and fairly clean. Inside of intake is a little oily.
I did notice during the swap that the hose going from the cam cover to the CCV had a buildup of crud on the bottom half of it.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)
Today's Posts Search