Proximity Warning when Parking - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 G01 (2018 - current)

X3 G01 (2018 - current)
The third generation X3 starts production in August of 2017 and will include the new X3 M40i top of the line performance model.

Old 02-15-2019, 07:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2018 M3, 2018 X3 M40i
Proximity Warning when Parking

Who else feels the parking proximity sensors are WAY too sensitive with Active Park Distance Control? Not only sensitive, but confusing. Can they be coded to be less sensitive?

For reference, my X3 M40i has Executive Package (ZPX) with Parking Assistant Plus (5DN), Active Park Distance Control (ZX1), and Surround View with 3D View (ZX3).

Example...I live in a new building with underground parking. A vehicle the size of an X3 is about the largest they comfortably designed the parking stalls for, so you're going to park near other cars, walls, etc. I back into my parking space, with a concrete pillar on the left side, a car on the right side, and a concrete post on the rear. As I begin backing in, the warnings start when it believes I will hit the left side concrete pillar. That's not a concern to me, I can easily see it. What would really be helpful is hearing only the "beep beep" tone for the rear concrete post. That's the only thing that means anything to me. Right now, I use the camera to judge the distance.

As it is now, once I start backing into the space, the warning noises go to a solid tone. Almost like "sensor overload", if you will. I want to turn off all the sensors except for the front bumper and rear bumper. I don't need the thing to tell me at my current rate of turn while backing, I will eventually hit something, or that I can't open all four doors completely 100% open...

I asked a fellow X3 owner in my building one day about his experience and he says he has the same issues, but it doesn't bother him. His parking space is also much larger, so it's apples to oranges. Before anyone suggests, no, I cannot change deeded parking spaces. I just want a $60K+ vehicle to be less annoying...

The parking sensors also randomly activate when I'm driving and slowing down for a red light with a car in front of me. Not always, but at least once daily. The cameras come on the display and the tones start. Anytime I stop to wait for the garage door to open when leaving my underground parking, the parking song-and-dance also activates.

BMW dealer says they've never heard of any complaints. We have snow here, but the issues are the same summer or winter, fresh car wash or not.

I seriously wish BMW would allow owners the ability to adjust sensitivity for the warning tones. A solid tone when 2'+ away from an object is not so helpful when living in an urban environment.

Sorry for the rant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2019, 02:05 PM
My M...not Hers

Mein Auto: 19 X3M40i
When I pull into my 1 car garage it sounds like the 4th of July. The sides go off and that hinders what is happening in the front. There is no substitute for driver observation.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
If you activate the cameras with the buttons on the console (instead of having them activated by putting the transmission in reverse), use the iDrive knob to back out and turn off (un check) the "P" for Parking Assist. That will stop the system from telling you to stop because you're gong to hit something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2019, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputzer View Post
If you activate the cameras with the buttons on the console (instead of having them activated by putting the transmission in reverse), use the iDrive knob to back out and turn off (un check) the "P" for Parking Assist. That will stop the system from telling you to stop because you're gong to hit something.
Thanks for the info! It's my wife's car and I drive it infrequently, so perhaps that's why it bothers me so much...I don't have to deal with the 120 piece orchestra worth of warning tones on a daily basis.

All that's needed of this whole system (for me, anyway), is the rear camera to determine how far to back up, so I stop before hitting that thin, concrete parking pole. My wife, on the other hand, is a different story...she likes having the audible warning tones, but then gets freaked out anytime it's a solid tone (which is anytime she parks at home or work)...

It would be nice to be able to touch the screen and disable certain quadrants, or dial down the sensitivity so the beeping starts at 18" away and goes solid tone at 6" away. But I suppose BMW engineered this car for people who are neither BMW enthusiasts, nor apparently good at basic driving skills...
Old 02-16-2019, 11:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2018 X3 M40i, 2015 Leaf
I disabled automatic PDC activation as the system would come on frequently when stopping at a traffic light, in particular in low light situations. During parking in our garage I just ignore all the beeps
Old 02-17-2019, 12:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW X3 3.0
Know what you mean and agree but just ignore all the beeps and solid alarm tones in my garage. The garage is the same size it was in the 1930's and can't do much about that, plus park super close to the walls so there's more aisle space between our 2 cars, so get a lot of beeps and tones pulling in or backing out. I just ignore them, know they're there, and the good part is I've learned what they're trying to do so when I run into a situation in a parking garage, like a column that's hard to see, I brake if I hear these sounds just to be safe. That works and I appreciate it now.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:50 AM

Mein Auto: 428xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputzer View Post

Thank you for the tip! Its snowing where I am, and a light layer of snow accumulated on some areas of the car, causing it to beep incessantly every time Im at a red light. It was driving me crazy (Im parked now). Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 02-20-2019, 10:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2018 X3 M40i
The last few times I've driven in the snow the parking assistant and sensors were going off every time I slowed to below 5mph, so I've learned in the snow just shut them off.
Old 03-06-2019, 01:55 PM

Mein Auto: '18 X3 xDrive 30i M Sport
Hey FluTriColor -- I can't help you, but in the spirit of venting ... what's the deal with the lane departure / blind spot. I came from MB and it would warn you with a loud beep and flash the mirrors. Despite me having the setting on "strong" for wheel vibrating, in this new X3, I can't feel a thing. So it's practically worthless for warning me there is a car. There is no way I can discern the road vibrations, pot holes, bumps, etc to a wheel vibration warning. I have taken it in and had an X3 loaner, and it acted the exact same (set to strong), then the dealer told it me was programmed this way. However, when I test drove a 2018 X5, that wheel vibration actually got my attention. Anyway, does anyone else feel this is a worthless feature? I'd rather them just play a simple beep then a complicated vibrating wheel that doesn't actually vibrate enough to alert me.
Old 03-06-2019, 06:16 PM

Mein Auto: F15 X5 and G01 X3
It'll beep loudly (also blinks) if you try to drift into another car in the next lane, like about to crash and meet someone new. Otherwise it's really an introvert kind of vehicle lol.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:50 AM
Stuart in Houston

Mein Auto: 2013 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGTX View Post
what's the deal with the lane departure / blind spot. I came from MB and it would warn you with a loud beep and flash the mirrors. Despite me having the setting on "strong" for wheel vibrating, in this new X3, I can't feel a thing.
Agree. I had a 2016 550i, and when I drifted out of my lane, or tried to change lanes when a vehicle was next to me, the steering wheel gave a VERY discernible vibration. Zero doubt what it was. And I found it incredibly useful.

My 2019 X3 does bubkas. I've tried every setting I can find, and tested all the different levels of warnings. It's a rare day when I get any feedback from the car.

Almost everything on my 2019 has taken a step forward, in all areas... design, engineering, programming, etc. Except this, and it's a puzzler how it doesn't work worth beans.

Just to give credit where it's due, the algorithms behind the Adaptive Cruise Control are light-years better than they have ever been. It's gone from being a nice feature that has some irritating quirks, to being one of the most useful features on the car.

Prior BMWs
2016 550i Mediterranean Blue, M-Sport
2013 550i Space Gray, M-Sport
2013 X5 5.0 Orion Silver
2009 X5 4.8 White (w/hitch)
2007 550i Monaco Blue, Sport
2004 X5 4.4i
2003 540i M-Sport w/Dinan mods (last of the great E39's)
2002 X5 3.0
2000 540i Sport
1995 525i Sport
1991 325is
1986 325es
Old 03-07-2019, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Hey FluTriColor -- I can't help you, but in the spirit of venting ... what's the deal with the lane departure / blind spot. I came from MB and it would warn you with a loud beep and flash the mirrors. Despite me having the setting on "strong" for wheel vibrating, in this new X3, I can't feel a thing. So it's practically worthless for warning me there is a car. There is no way I can discern the road vibrations, pot holes, bumps, etc to a wheel vibration warning. I have taken it in and had an X3 loaner, and it acted the exact same (set to strong), then the dealer told it me was programmed this way. However, when I test drove a 2018 X5, that wheel vibration actually got my attention. Anyway, does anyone else feel this is a worthless feature? I'd rather them just play a simple beep then a complicated vibrating wheel that doesn't actually vibrate enough to alert me.
Agreed in everything you said! I've driven a MB GLC and G-class as rentals (wonderful upgrade on the latter due to a mistake by the rental company!) and they absolutely have a superior system for lane departure and collision warnings. My X3 steering wheel does vibrate, but as you correctly noted, it's so insignificant, it's essentially useless. In partially snow-covered roads, it seems to vibrate more often than not, mistaking the snow for lane stripes. No audible warning for blind spot detection/warning, only the little side mirror lights. I drive mostly in the city, so I actually have never used the adaptive cruise control.

On a different note, I notice the brakes squeal frequently in winter weather (snow or clear skies). Someone with a 2019 X5 stopped me in the grocery store parking lot and asked if my brakes squeal, because they've had their car back to the dealer twice in two months for the issue. The dealer couldn't find anything wrong and said it's "just the nature of the vehicle"...
Old 09-08-2019, 02:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3
Quote:
CGTX did you ever accomplish getting an audible warning on your rear blindspot warning? I think it is essential. Thanks.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:11 PM

Mein Auto: X3 18
Regarding Adaptive Cruise Control
Be ready to hear your wife scream every time the traffic slows down in your rental car as you forget to put your foot on the brake.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 G01 (2018 - current)
Today's Posts Search