Green blinking light on the switch, AHL - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 08-11-2018, 07:12 AM

Mein Auto:
Green blinking light on the switch, AHL

Hi everyone

I noticed for 1 month ago that my AHL headlights does not work. They are not levelling or curving. I dont know what happen. I did a check with ista and i got an error on LMA module.
Something with alive signall from ALC system fault.
I can also say that that AHL module in the module tree was red. I could not trigger or get any Connection with that module!

When i checked it with inpa then i got this error code.
E519 Alive-signal vom ALC system fehlt.

I have checked the Cables inside the headlight and they seems to be in good condition. No bad insolation or something burnt!
I also checked the smc module if there was any pins that was corrision but everything was good.

I also checked LMA module. Found some pins that was corrision and fixed that. Ordered a used LMA module and recoded it to my VIN and the AHL did not worked either so i put my old one back.
I also checked the AHL behind the glovebox and could not see any corrison. Ordered a used one and im trying to code it with ncs expert but i fail everytime im trying to write or read the module.

I dont know what to check anymore. can anybody help me please?

The pic is when im trying to SG_Corderin the ALC module in ncs expert. Ncs expert version 4.01. Working for other coding.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5077.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	811978  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2018, 08:38 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2016 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico_bmw View Post
Hi everyone

I noticed for 1 month ago that my AHL headlights does not work. They are not levelling or curving. I dont know what happen. I did a check with ista and i got an error on LMA module.
Something with alive signall from ALC system fault.
I can also say that that AHL module in the module tree was red. I could not trigger or get any Connection with that module!

When i checked it with inpa then i got this error code.
E519 Alive-signal vom ALC system fehlt.

I have checked the Cables inside the headlight and they seems to be in good condition. No bad insolation or something burnt!
I also checked the smc module if there was any pins that was corrision but everything was good.

I also checked LMA module. Found some pins that was corrision and fixed that. Ordered a used LMA module and recoded it to my VIN and the AHL did not worked either so i put my old one back.
I also checked the AHL behind the glovebox and could not see any corrison. Ordered a used one and im trying to code it with ncs expert but i fail everytime im trying to write or read the module.

I dont know what to check anymore. can anybody help me please?

The pic is when im trying to SG_Corderin the ALC module in ncs expert. Ncs expert version 4.01. Working for other coding.
A blinking green LED can mean a fault in one of the modules on the headlight housing itself.

This usually happens when moisture/water gets into the headlight. Have you seen any evidence of water in the headlight?

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Old 08-11-2018, 08:53 AM

Mein Auto:
I have checked both headlight and those SMC modules. Nothing water och corrision. Really nice and Clean. Cables are ok.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2018, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 05 645Ci, 14 750 M-Sport
There are 2 modules on each light, one on the bottom & one on the side. The side modules control the side to side motion. You are going to need some BMW software to troubleshoot the lights to see what the actual problems is.
Old 08-12-2018, 03:43 AM

Mein Auto:
what BMW software?
Old 08-12-2018, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico_bmw View Post
what BMW software?

It seems that you have INPA, ISTA, & NCSExpert. Coding the module will not fix a bad module. Go to the AHL module in the control tree, right click, then run the diagnostics in the module. You might want to copy & paste what coding you have done, so someone might be able to help you. Always make a copy of the settings coded in the module, where you can always have a backup file to compare to.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 645 CI E63
I have a E63 2004 my green led light as well is blinking.hen you find out what you did to fix the issue I would greatly appreciate your feed back. Also I notice many people have told others to use silicon to fix moisture leaks in lights which may and not work. The best way to fix plastic is to use industrial plastic glue or two part epoxy which I have had great result FYI.
I have a issue on my Halo high beam H7 when I went to change them over to LED and after pulling the plug off the pvc wire insulation fell off. Long story short I ended up putting the halo light back in and tested it ...Now the High beams dont work so I was thinking a blown fuse but not such fuse so I looked for a relay no such. Any idea what is the issue? thanks in advance...

When you have the green flashing light, it can be different things. Most likely moisture has gotten into one of the 2 modules on that light. You can remove the bumper cover & switch the headlights to see if the problem follows that light. The light would have to be plugged in upside down, but it will operate the light. Once you identify the light is the problem, you can try switching modules to determine which one is bad. You really need to have INPA, DIS, or ISTA to help identify the problem. After the module is replaced, it will possibly need to be coded to the car. If you let the moisture to stay inside the light, you can fry the internal wiring, & there are not any available parts from anyone to replace the internals. This can become a 2k repair very quickly if the moisture is not stopped from getting in the light.

Last edited by HerbP; 08-20-2018 at 03:58 PM.
Old 08-20-2018, 06:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 645 CI E63
I have a issue on my Halo high beam H7 when I went to change them over to LED and after pulling the plug off the pvc wire insulation fell off. Long story short I ended up putting the halo light back in and tested it ...Now the High beams dont work so I was thinking a blown fuse but not such fuse so I looked for a relay no such. Any idea what is the issue? thanks in advance...
Old 11-17-2018, 10:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 645 Ci manual
I have a 2005 645 CI and I recently began experiencing similar symptoms with the green light by the light switch blinking and the AHL feature malfunctioning. Horizontal movement not working and leveling seems to also be ailing. Both headlights are exhibiting he same symptoms. They do light up - low, high beams and halos. Thanks to the above discussion and another thread explaining headlight removal, I pulled both headlights and looked at the control modules. Both modules on both lights look pristine inside. I tried swapping modules and headlights with no change. I attempted to look for more information using a BM Technic V2 Pro cable with the Inpa software. It failed to recognize any of my headlight modules claiming something was obsolete. I'll admit to being very green using this cable other than resetting standard OBDII codes. I have no idea how to use NCS Expert so I left that alone. I'm kind of at a stalemate right now and sure could use some advice other than visit my local BMW dealer. Is it possible to troubleshoot the modules? Am I missing something obvious that I can do to isolate the problem? Anyone familiar with the BM Technic diagnostics cable and software? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
2007 Moyes Litespeed RS Hang Glider
Old 11-17-2018, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFledge View Post
I have a 2005 645 CI and I recently began experiencing similar symptoms with the green light by the light switch blinking and the AHL feature malfunctioning. Horizontal movement not working and leveling seems to also be ailing. Both headlights are exhibiting he same symptoms. They do light up - low, high beams and halos. Thanks to the above discussion and another thread explaining headlight removal, I pulled both headlights and looked at the control modules. Both modules on both lights look pristine inside. I tried swapping modules and headlights with no change. I attempted to look for more information using a BM Technic V2 Pro cable with the Inpa software. It failed to recognize any of my headlight modules claiming something was obsolete. I'll admit to being very green using this cable other than resetting standard OBDII codes. I have no idea how to use NCS Expert so I left that alone. I'm kind of at a stalemate right now and sure could use some advice other than visit my local BMW dealer. Is it possible to troubleshoot the modules? Am I missing something obvious that I can do to isolate the problem? Anyone familiar with the BM Technic diagnostics cable and software? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
If you have the BMTechinc's software & cable, use DIS to diagnose your problems. In the module you can test the lights in all directions to determine where your problem is. Have you had moisture in your headlights in the past, as this can do internal damage to the wiring harness. Since you can remove the headlights, swap the complete light from one side to the other. Yes the lights will be upside down at this point, but it might help find your problem. Since your side to side movement is not working, it will be the module on the side of the light. You can find used modules online, or they can become expensive at the dealer. A new headlight will run 1500.00 plus, without any modules. Used headlights run 750.00 plus if you can find one. I have been thru your problem, & without the proper software you are screwed.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:16 AM

Thanks for the quick reply, HerbP. For some reason my version of BM Technic has the DIS feature greyed out with "Install VMWare" in the little box on the right. I see no evidence of moisture anywhere. I've already swapped the lights from left to right and right to left (per the earlier posts) with no change. Neither ight has any movement.
My version of BM Technic is 4.00 that came on a USB drive with the cable. I understand they no longer exist so no help there. So I'm still stumped and I'm not convinced the problem is in the lights or the modules unless both sides failed at the same time. That seems unlikely to me and since both headlights look dry and clean I have to wonder if looking in the right place. Thanks for your thoughts, I'll keep searching.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:24 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2016 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply, HerbP. For some reason my version of BM Technic has the DIS feature greyed out with "Install VMWare" in the little box on the right. I see no evidence of moisture anywhere. I've already swapped the lights from left to right and right to left (per the earlier posts) with no change. Neither ight has any movement.
My version of BM Technic is 4.00 that came on a USB drive with the cable. I understand they no longer exist so no help there. So I'm still stumped and I'm not convinced the problem is in the lights or the modules unless both sides failed at the same time. That seems unlikely to me and since both headlights look dry and clean I have to wonder if looking in the right place. Thanks for your thoughts, I'll keep searching.
It's normally in indicator that one of the modules on the headlights themselves has gone out.

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Old 11-19-2018, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Try downloading the free version of VMWare to see if DIS will start working. The headlight parts are just to expensive to start throwing money at. Your best bet might be to look into ISTA, as it is the new platform software for diagnostics. Dis will work fine if you can get it running.
Old 12-16-2018, 11:12 AM

Status - Still diagnosing

Thought I would update my progress. Thanks to significant assistance from HerbP (thanks), I've run some diagnostics with ISTA but no clear answer yet. When I perform the initial scan the AHL square shows up red. I then ran the ECU test and received a message stating "ECU not responding". I worked my way to "Component Triggering" and attempted to move the headlights left, right, up and down. No movement of the lights and a message stating "The communication with the control unit ALC_60 has been disrupted. The control unit must be connected. The ignition must be switched on or the PAD mode activated." Not sure where to go yet. I have screen shots of the ISTA messages. Hopefully they are attached.
I should mention that I have already removed the bumper, inspected the control modules on the lights and they were dry and pristine. I also swapped the left and right headlights with no change in symptoms.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Init scan.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	832167   Click image for larger version

Name:	ECU chk.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	832169   Click image for larger version

Name:	AHL LTL.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	832171  
Old 12-16-2018, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

To refresh my memory, does either headlight have any movement? Do they up & down on startup when cranking the car? Did you go to the test plan & follow the recommended path while trying to trouble shoot the lights? When you swapped the light from one side to the other, did they do anything different? Trouble shooting the lights can be a real PITA!
Old 12-17-2018, 05:56 AM

Neither headlight has any movement. Not sure about during start up of the engine but turning the light switch from off to auto results in a very short bright flash and then normal brightness, but no movement of either light. Swapping the lights had not effect on the symptoms. No movement of either light. I should mention, just for completeness, it is virtually impossible to use the car at night in the current condition. I looked at the trouble shooting path from ISTA and only looked at the fuse but haven't checked the pins on the modules yet for voltage. I don't know if the lights are aiming at the ground or just super dim but I can't see very well at all with low beams and high beams are only slightly better. Thanks for the guidance so far. I've been a little slow with my diagnostics due to life events taking priority. Christmas is coming. As soon as I find the connections I need to check I'll check those.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

Your car could have 2 configurations. AHL before 2003/05 uses an extra module dedicated to AHL, it is behind the glove box. Check & see if you have this module. If you do have this module, this is probably your problem. I forgot about this module since mine does not have one.
Old 12-28-2018, 03:17 PM

My headlights are now adaptive!

Thanks to the assistance from everyone here, mostly HerbP, my adaptive headlight issue has been solved. ISTA kind of pointed to the AHL module, located behind the glove box, and HerbP recommended it as a likely culprit. I purchased a refurbished module from ebay for $40 something. Plugged it in and instant gratification. Thank you for all your help. HerP, you rock.
Old 12-28-2018, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

Glad you got it fixed, & that was all it was!
Old 09-11-2019, 11:43 AM

Mein Auto:
Adaptive Headlight AHL Module

Quick question: was this used module "plug and play"? Did it require any recoding?

Many thanks!
Old 09-11-2019, 01:44 PM

Yes, JimMin. It was totally plug and play. Good luck.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMin View Post
Quick question: was this used module "plug and play"? Did it require any recoding?

Many thanks!
Have someone run the diagnostics to narrow down the problem. You don't state what year car you have, so it might not be plug & play.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:52 AM

Mein Auto:
To Mr. HerbP:
Yes, I am trying to jump from problem to solution in 1 step. My apologies. Your advice on this site has been invaluable in the past. I have an early production '04 645Ci. I have been following your dialog with Mr. Mcfledge on this thread. My car, IMO, has the exact same problem. I found, removed, grabbed the part number, and reinstalled the AHL module under the glove box. It is the older 6934122 module. I purchased a used one online taken from an '05 645. I hope to get it tomorrow and put it in. I have the car scheduled to go in for a scan, but I decided to take a chance and see if I could preemptively fix it and save a few bucks. If not, I'll have to see what the scan says. Thank you for your reply.

To Mr. Mcfledge:
I hope we did both have the same problem! Thank you for your reply, too.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator

If you have a 2004 model, that part is probably all you need. 2005 & up do not use that relay any longer.
Old 09-16-2019, 06:49 AM

Mein Auto:
Replaced AHL - Adaptive Headlights Now Working!

Thanks to your legwork and knowledge I'm back in business. Saved big $$$. Many thanks to you both! I hope I can pay it forward some day.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
adaptive, adjustment, ahl, e63, headlight

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search