BMW News: Peer Into the Future of the 4 Series with Concept 4 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW News

BMW News
Get the latest BMW headlines, news, and rumors and discuss the future of BMW with other BMW enthusiasts!

Old 09-10-2019, 07:05 AM   #1
Peer Into the Future of the 4 Series with Concept 4
BimmerFest Staff
AutoGuide Editorial

Show Printable Version Email this Page

Advertisement
posted by BimmerFest Staff

BMW has taken to the show floor of the Frankfurt auto show to present us with the Concept 4. According to BMW it “hovers close to the road,” which doesn’t mean it can float like the Delorean in Back to the Future. Rather, it means that the 4 Series that follows it will closely resemble it.

So how it’s received matters. The first hurdle will be the grille. As head of BMW design Domagoj Dukec explains, the grille is an important and historical part of the design.

“The kidney grille has always been a signature feature of BMW cars,” says Dukec. “The BMW Concept 4 presents a confident and classy take on this iconic feature. At the same time, the BMW Concept 4 offers a look ahead to the expressive face of the 4 Series range.”

It is, apparently, a callback to the 328 and the 3.0 CSi. The grille was also a chance for designers to stick in an Easter egg or two. The grating inside the kidneys is made up of 4s joined together.

It is also enormous.

Back when the updated 7 series was being premiered, BMW told us that its bigger grille was the direct result of customer feedback. This may have influenced the decision on the Concept 4.

BMW also points out that there is no glass over the headlights, making them “threedimensional sculptures” unlike those two-dimensional sculptures, often referred to as drawings.

Although the face may be a challenge—people attending Frankfurt report that it looks better than it photographs—the lines of the coupe body are beyond reproach. Simple and elegant, they play on all of the 4 Series’ best attributes well.

Painted in Forbidden Red, we sincerely hope that the color won’t be.

“The BMW Concept 4 embodies the aesthetic essence of the BMW brand. It combines perfect proportions with a clear and precise design,” says Adrian van Hooydonk, Senior Vice President BMW Group Design.

This article has been viewed 397 times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2019, 09:09 AM
I'm a DlCK! So what?

Mein Auto: E46 ZHP TS2+ Coupe
Kill that front end with fire. Rumor has it those massive grilles will make it to production. Sucks to be BMW right now. They're getting a new one ripped all across the board, but we all know there's a large demographic of boomers who will say, "LOOK AT HOW FANCY IT IS! I'LL BUY TWO AND NOT LEAVE MY KIDS ANY INHERITANCE!"

BMW engineers/designers/who the f*ck ever apparently dropped entirely too many psychedelic drugs at once or else they're intentionally trolling us.

TL;DR: The front end is pure garbage. People need to be fired or BMW needs to rethink its whole design plan.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:29 AM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi 4dr; '03 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by ;
Back when the updated 7 series was being premiered, BMW told us that its bigger grille was the direct result of customer feedback.
Apparently BMW have forgotten that customers, by and large, know squat about good design. Chris Bangle understood that, though he had the tact never to say it.

Like the F32 4 Series concept, the front end is a mess; also like the F32 concept, I'm betting it will be significantly toned down (i.e., improved) for production. Overall though...the 8 Series coupe works (beautifully); this doesn't.

I notice the Hofmeister kink is dead, too. They'd have done a lot better to just shrink the 8 Series.

Quote:
Although the face may be a challenge—people attending Frankfurt report that it looks better than it photographs—the lines of the coupe body are beyond reproach.
Bangle's designs--actually, van Hooydonk's--were challenging, as in intentionally disruptive. This isn't challenging; it's incoherent. "Beyond reproach?" Only if one's career at BMW depends on not pointing out its mashed-up resemblance to a cross of an X7 (front) and an 8er (rear).

Looks like my next Bimmer will be my fifth 3 Series, after all. 'Shame, I was kinda looking forward to the new coupe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2019, 06:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z3, 328i, 435i
Was going to replace my 2015 4 series coupe when the new one came out. I would not be caught dead in the new design. The front is obnoxious. It looks worse than the worst Japan ever produced. I will be visiting the Porsche side of my dealer and no doubt making one of the sales people happy.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeichen311 View Post
Apparently BMW have forgotten that customers, by and large, know squat about good design. Chris Bangle understood that, though he had the tact never to say it.

Like the F32 4 Series concept, the front end is a mess; also like the F32 concept, I'm betting it will be significantly toned down (i.e., improved) for production. Overall though...the 8 Series coupe works (beautifully); this doesn't.

I notice the Hofmeister kink is dead, too. They'd have done a lot better to just shrink the 8 Series.

Bangle's designs--actually, van Hooydonk's--were challenging, as in intentionally disruptive. This isn't challenging; it's incoherent. "Beyond reproach?" Only if one's career at BMW depends on not pointing out its mashed-up resemblance to a cross of an X7 (front) and an 8er (rear).

Looks like my next Bimmer will be my fifth 3 Series, after all. 'Shame, I was kinda looking forward to the new coupe.
I remember Bangle saying that his designs "challenged" the customer... yeah, challenged them to buy a Mercedes, Audi, Jag', or Porsche.
Old 09-12-2019, 04:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2018 440ix Coupe
Words cannot describe how bad the front of the car looks with those grilles. Oh the humanity!
Old 09-13-2019, 02:19 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 530e
I figured it out:Its an Edsel redux (take the Edsel grill and double it).
Old 09-14-2019, 07:54 AM

Mein Auto: F90 M5
I don't get this. It has an unsightly massive kidney grille, the lines/window trim are near identical to the Audi A5 coupe and the rear like the back of the Infiniti G60 coupe. It's like they're picking from the competition and piecing it together to make their own Frankenstein. Not a fan of this concept.

Last edited by GivRoF36; 09-14-2019 at 10:42 AM.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2018 440ix Coupe
Looking at the gallery in the background at the 4 series concept reveal I was able to isolate this picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	24252611.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	471.2 KB
ID:	864683  
Aluminum Dark Carbon with Pearl Gloss Chrome Highlight Trim
Essentials Package
Premium Package
M Sport Package
18 inch Wheels with All Season Tires
Heated Steering Wheel