BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Our new X5 45e has arrived! Questions about extended warranties...

4K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Judy G 
#1 ·
Hello, we just received our new custom ordered X5 45e. First time owner of a BMW!

We have not finalized the details so I'm hoping to get some help. Since I am new to BMW, I thought I would ask what most people do about warranties. Do you buy from the dealer on day of purchase, or wait till later or not get one at all? Do you do the extended warranty? Maintenance?

This is a very high tech car being a plug in hybrid with all the extra tech packages, so I would think I would want to stay in warranty as long as I own the car.

See less See more
#2 ·
We have questions also! Please comment on how it drives electric only and what range in electric mode you see.
As far as your questions I have watched and owned many different cars over the years and the new X5 seems so far to be remarkably trouble free compared to many high tech cars. I would consider putting the cost of the extended warranty in a bank account to self insure. If you want to see a dumpster fire of maintenance issues visit the Tesla forums.

#3 ·
In my opinion you skip all of the stuff that they try and sell you when you go to the finance office. You can always buy one years down the road when the original is about to end if you think you will need it given the vehicle's history.

#4 · (Edited)
+1

ALL warranties are bets against the house and the house never never loses, else they would be out of business. If you can***8217;t avoid a warranty and its cost built into the purchase then make the best of it. If you can avoid the cost of an (extended) warranty then bank the premium, earn the interest, and pay up gracefully.

#5 ·
Thanks for the advice. I'm not one that typically buys extended warranties on anything as they never seem to make sense, but I have read over and over that being out of warranty in a BMW is just a bad idea. I guess it also depends on how much they are and what they cover which I do not know the details of that yet. I would rather not finance a warranty if at all possible, that's for sure so I'm glad people are giving that advice here. I was also not sure if the BMW warranty would be the came cost in a year or how long they go. From my experience with lots of brand new car purchases, most of the problems (if there are any) you will have will be in the first 20-30k miles, then after that, cars tend to be pretty trouble free till past 100k.

#6 ·
I think a lot of the ***8220;don***8217;t own a BMW out of warranty***8221; thinking is based on the vehicles of many years ago. I***8217;m currently leasing but when it is up I will be buying with no qualms about not having an extended warranty. They can be more expensive down the road depending on your vehicle and usage. As others said, take the $4-7k it will cost you know and put it into a separate account if you think you need it to be covered.

#10 · (Edited)
I have not driven it much, but I'm surprised the E miles is only about 30 miles. It has said as high as 35, but they go down pretty quick with city driving. I have not taken it on the highway and driven it on electric only just to see how far it will go, but I will soon.

I keep seeing in reviews that the range is supposed to be closer to 50. Are they getting that many miles from a fully charged battery? I noticed the battery is set to only charge to 80%. You can change that in the settings, but I guess 80% is what it should be set at. If the miles is based on an actual full battery, that would explain why I'm not getting anywhere near 50 miles.

One more thing. When I drive it on electric mode, I thought the car would eventually switch over to the ICE at some point when the E miles range went to zero, but it keeps going. I didn't want to risk draining the battery past 20%, so I switched it myself. So my question here is if you have it in full electric mode, will it use the entire battery?

Thanks for any help!

#11 ·
If the logic is the same as on my i3, what is displayed in battery capacity in percent is the amount that the computer will let you use...it does not actually represent the real value of the battery's capacity. On the i3, when it says 100%, it's maybe in the order of 95%, and when it says zero, it still has about 8%. IOW, the computer won't allow you to use the whole battery, but displays the amount it will let you use to prevent the battery from being either fully charged or discharged which prolongs the battery life.

The actual range you'll get, just like on any ICE, depends on how you drive. The EPA numbers are based on a specific test at a specific set of environmental conditions. You should be able to match that IF you were able to drive in exactly the same way, but in reality, you can't.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.