Well, sh*t.. - Page 3 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums



Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)

X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
First generation BMW X1 availbe as a X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i xDrive.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 04-10-2020, 10:14 AM
Yukoner Yukoner is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Whitehorse, YT
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,733
Mein Auto: 2011 328i x-drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvadam View Post
Hey Yukoner. I know we are beating a dead horse here with this issue that keeps popping up but I am also noticing a common denominator in a lot of these posts. Saddly, a l of of people just bought the car recently (second hand obviously) and in short order the engine goes. I say sadly because it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of people one day notice a sound coming from the engine that wasn't there before or a chain whine and sell the vehicle in quick order rather than replace the chain and guides. So a perhaps 2k problem gets handed off to an unsuspecting person who then has a 20k (the highest quoted figure I've seen) engine failure and they are screwed and mad as hell rightfully so. I mean if you don't have service records how do you even know if the previous owner changed the oil. I have met a few people in real life, not online, who said they never ever changed their vehicles oil but they only keep the car 4 years and I guess they just figure who cares as long as it doesn't break while I own it. This all plays into the lower resale value because you have no idea what you are getting.
This is a HUGE component of the issue, yes. When you buy a second-hand vehicle, you have basically no idea how it's been treated. Even WITH service records, you still don't know how the vehicle was treated. A used vehicle is a roll of the dice, every single time.

Quite frankly (and I'm not trying to shame or anything here), most new (used) BMW owners don't know the first thing about all the maintenance they should be doing / getting caught up with. I budget ~$5K for "catch up" and preventative maintenance when I buy a used BMW. And, you know what ? I haven't experience those many unexpected issues.....
__________________


Not even sure if -40 degrees is cold anymore ?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #52  
Old 04-10-2020, 10:35 AM
Bahnburner Bahnburner is offline
Registered User
Location: San Diego, CA
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 16
Mein Auto: BMW X1 sDrive28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
This is a HUGE component of the issue, yes. When you buy a second-hand vehicle, you have basically no idea how it's been treated. Even WITH service records, you still don't know how the vehicle was treated. A used vehicle is a roll of the dice, every single time.

Quite frankly (and I'm not trying to shame or anything here), most new (used) BMW owners don't know the first thing about all the maintenance they should be doing / getting caught up with. I budget ~$5K for "catch up" and preventative maintenance when I buy a used BMW. And, you know what ? I haven't experience those many unexpected issues.....
Good points. My mechanic has a favorite observation. You can buy almost any make and model of car for $5000 once it's 10 years old, but the service costs never go down. This thought was in my head when I started looking for a used vehicle to replace my daily driver. I had driven Japanese cars for the last 35 years and I wanted something different, so I excluded most Japanese makes and all Korean brands and focused on German cars.

No one should go into this lightly. A used German vehicle will simply cost more to upkeep than used American and Asian cars. (VW possibly being more reasonable). An oil change, for example, will be the same for a used BMW as a new one, and it would be ill advised to take it to a Jiffy Lube or Firestone for service. I have already identified two shops near me that specialize in German auto service and maintenance, and I will be taking my X1 to one of those shops.

Last edited by Bahnburner; 04-10-2020 at 10:36 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 04-10-2020, 11:10 AM
Yukoner Yukoner is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Whitehorse, YT
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,733
Mein Auto: 2011 328i x-drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahnburner View Post
Good points. My mechanic has a favorite observation. You can buy almost any make and model of car for $5000 once it's 10 years old, but the service costs never go down. This thought was in my head when I started looking for a used vehicle to replace my daily driver. I had driven Japanese cars for the last 35 years and I wanted something different, so I excluded most Japanese makes and all Korean brands and focused on German cars.

No one should go into this lightly. A used German vehicle will simply cost more to upkeep than used American and Asian cars. (VW possibly being more reasonable). An oil change, for example, will be the same for a used BMW as a new one, and it would be ill advised to take it to a Jiffy Lube or Firestone for service. I have already identified two shops near me that specialize in German auto service and maintenance, and I will be taking my X1 to one of those shops.
If you search me in the E90 forum (I also have an E90), you'll see me talk about this lots:

The maintenance cost of the vehicle is based on the original brand new cost (value).

I keep telling everyone, you need to remember that you're driving a $60K+ vehicle. Yes, the damn water pump isn't going to be cheap. Parts costs are relative to the cost the vehicle WHEN NEW. Most people reply with some kind of nonsense like "yes but the value of the vehicle is nothing more than what you paid for it", and "it's not worth $60K, it's worth $7K because that's what I paid", blah blah blah. This, IMO, is WRONG. Many have argued with me, but I stand firm in my assessment.

The issue, from what I can see, is that many people who buy these used luxury vehicles are buying them used because they can't afford a brand new one. If all you have is $10K, and you buy the $10K used BMW, and you have NO MONEY for maintenance and repairs, well...... It's like buying a house in disrepair that would normally be $500,000.00 but you got it for $50,000.00 because of the shape it was in, and then complaining that you don't have the money to fix everything that's wrong with it.

Again, I've had this discussion MANY times with folks who just don't get it.
__________________


Not even sure if -40 degrees is cold anymore ?
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 04-10-2020, 11:30 AM
Bahnburner Bahnburner is offline
Registered User
Location: San Diego, CA
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 16
Mein Auto: BMW X1 sDrive28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
I keep telling everyone, you need to remember that you're driving a $60K+ vehicle. Yes, the damn water pump isn't going to be cheap. Parts costs are relative to the cost the vehicle WHEN NEW. Most people reply with some kind of nonsense like "yes but the value of the vehicle is nothing more than what you paid for it", and "it's not worth $60K, it's worth $7K because that's what I paid", blah blah blah. This, IMO, is WRONG. Many have argued with me, but I stand firm in my assessment.
I approach it this way. I bought a 7 year-old BMW for $8k. Going by your yardstick, let's say I put aside $5k for maintenance in the near term. I'll go one better, I'll match the price of my used X1 and tack on another $8k for anticipated near term maintenance or repairs. It probably won't go that high, but I'm just running with an analogy. For $16k, I'm driving nicely maintained, entry level luxury car that new would cost $35k sticker and destination fees, another $3k for tax and license. Assume I decided to finance the whole thing over 5 years at a favorable 2.99% interest rate, and my total cost is just over $40k. Subtract $16k from that and I'm very satisfied with my purchase, and any repairs or maintenance it might need in year one of ownership.

Last edited by Bahnburner; 04-10-2020 at 11:32 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 04-13-2020, 03:10 PM
Yukoner Yukoner is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Whitehorse, YT
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,733
Mein Auto: 2011 328i x-drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahnburner View Post
I approach it this way. I bought a 7 year-old BMW for $8k. Going by your yardstick, let's say I put aside $5k for maintenance in the near term. I'll go one better, I'll match the price of my used X1 and tack on another $8k for anticipated near term maintenance or repairs. It probably won't go that high, but I'm just running with an analogy. For $16k, I'm driving nicely maintained, entry level luxury car that new would cost $35k sticker and destination fees, another $3k for tax and license. Assume I decided to finance the whole thing over 5 years at a favorable 2.99% interest rate, and my total cost is just over $40k. Subtract $16k from that and I'm very satisfied with my purchase, and any repairs or maintenance it might need in year one of ownership.
Yes, this definitely works as well. The issue is that people buying the $8K used BMW can't afford to tack on the $5K in maintenance. Even worse, they likely couldn't pay the monthly loan installment if they added the $5K to the loan ! I've known people who were so leveraged out on their monthly vehicle loan payments that they went back to the dealerships and complained that the advertised gas mileage was misrepresented and now they can't afford to fill the tank...... Yeah..... I'm totally not kidding here
__________________


Not even sure if -40 degrees is cold anymore ?

Last edited by Yukoner; 04-13-2020 at 03:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 04-13-2020, 03:22 PM
slickman slickman is offline
Registered User
Location: New York
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 49
Mein Auto: 135I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
Yes, this definitely works as well. The issue is that people buying the $8K used BMW can't afford to tack on the $5K in maintenance. Even worse, they likely couldn't pay the monthly loan installment if they added the $5K to the loan ! I've known people who were so leveraged out on their monthly vehicle loan payments that they went back to the dealerships and complained that the advertised gas mileage was misrepresented and now they can't afford to fill the tank...... Yeah..... I'm totally not kidding here
Simple answer, "if you cant afford it or the repairs, don't buy it!" Managing your money is a very easy thing, buy what you can afford. I don't purchase a car unless I can pay for it, cash.
__________________
2015 X1 35i XDrive
Ultimate, NAV & Cold Weather Package
MHD, FTP Motorsports Charge Pipe, Drop in K&N
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 04-14-2020, 03:06 PM
Yukoner Yukoner is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Whitehorse, YT
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,733
Mein Auto: 2011 328i x-drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickman View Post
Simple answer, "if you cant afford it or the repairs, don't buy it!" Managing your money is a very easy thing, buy what you can afford. I don't purchase a car unless I can pay for it, cash.
Absolutely, 100% agreed. Unfortunately, MANY of the folks on this and other forums do NOT adhere to the same fiscal philosophy
__________________


Not even sure if -40 degrees is cold anymore ?
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 04-14-2020, 03:10 PM
Doug Huffman's Avatar
Doug Huffman Doug Huffman is online now
Nuclear engineer
Location: Washington Island, Wisconsin, thru Death's Door
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 15,176
Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
Absolutely, 100% agreed. Unfortunately, MANY of the folks on this and other forums do NOT adhere to the same fiscal philosophy
+1

Some people are over their head buying a BMW. Some people just should not have one.
__________________
Scepticism and Animal Faith (1923)
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 04-14-2020, 04:28 PM
kevman2 kevman2 is offline
kevman2
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 58
Mein Auto: 2013 X1, x28i
take care of it and do your maintenance and there will not be too many repairs.
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.