Need maintenance advice for a 80K mils X5 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 06-01-2020, 08:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5
Need maintenance advice for a 80K mils X5

Hello my fellow Bimmer friends, my 35i reached 80k miles, runs okay, serviced it routinely (oil change, brakes, etc.) Do you guys have any preventive maintenance suggestion that i may do to keep the car away from issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2020, 03:29 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
At about 80K miles you should be getting all undercar fluids changed soon, diffs, transfer case, ATF.

You should always regularly closely inspect engine compartment elastomers, belts, vibration reducer elastomer element, hoses.

Keep the battery charged and have an estimation of its State of Health as 80K miles may be near battery's End of Life, depending on your annual mileage rate. 80K miles / 10K miles / year ~ eight years, that's the MAXIMUM expected battery life under the very best of circumstances - not provided by BMW or most BMW owners.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:52 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 09 X5d, 06 325i, 06 330i
Were the spark plugs replaced?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2020, 08:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 50i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by smassey321 View Post
I would replace plugs and coils at 80k if still original
Old 06-02-2020, 08:26 AM

Mein Auto: 4 BMWs, 1 Mini, 1 Vespa
Search Mike Miller lifetime bmw maintenance, read, apply as you see fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
2013 Cooper S
2007 650i - 6 speed
2002 330ci convertible - 5 speed

Past:
2012 X5 Diesel
2012 Countryman S All4 - 6 speed
2006 Cooper S - 6 speed
2006 330i - 6 speed
1997 328is - 5 speed
1991 318is - 5 speed
1988 635csi - 5 speed
1988 325i convertible - 5 speed
1969 2002 with tii and 5 speed conversions
Old 06-02-2020, 11:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 (N55)
I'd replace the serpentine belt and have the belt tensioner and pulleys inspected. Trust me on this one. My N55 "ate" my serpentine belt when it failed.
Old 06-02-2020, 12:58 PM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno123 View Post
I'd replace the serpentine belt and have the belt tensioner and pulleys inspected. Trust me on this one. My N55 "ate" my serpentine belt when it failed.
The serpentine belt gives ample warning before failing. YOU just have to look.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:45 PM
What was that?

Mein Auto: 05 M3, '13 TLC, '11X5 35i
Id purchase the water pump and store it as indicated outside the package. It requires that very specific position, so be careful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-02-2020, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
At about 80K miles you should be getting all undercar fluids changed soon, diffs, transfer case, ATF.

You should always regularly closely inspect engine compartment elastomers, belts, vibration reducer elastomer element, hoses.

Keep the battery charged and have an estimation of its State of Health as 80K miles may be near battery's End of Life, depending on your annual mileage rate. 80K miles / 10K miles / year ~ eight years, that's the MAXIMUM expected battery life under the very best of circumstances - not provided by BMW or most BMW owners.
Thank you Doug ! The battery had been replaced 5 months ago. I will keep an eye on the engine parts.
Old 06-02-2020, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smassey321 View Post
Thanks ! I replaced them at 67K miles. I guess they should still work fine now.
Old 06-02-2020, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary214 View Post
I would replace plugs and coils at 80k if still original
The plugs were replaced, but i don't think i replaced the coils. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 06-02-2020, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgentoCarNut View Post
Id purchase the water pump and store it as indicated outside the package. It requires that very specific position, so be careful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks ! The water pump got replaced at 71K miles, antifreeze/coolant flushed/changed.
Old 06-02-2020, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno123 View Post
Thank you ! I will check mine
Old 06-02-2020, 09:47 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Unless a particular car has known issues with early coil failures, I personally dont ascribe to the 'replace coils' advice.

The OE Beru's on the 996TT were crap and absolutely failed early. These got replaced. But the new replacements where much more robust, and generally are fine 100k in.

Unlike plugs- which actually WEAR OUT- coils dont wear down, but rather 'fail'. So you wont have a set of coils 'go bad' at some mileage... they may fail, but it will be a one here, one there kind of thing. (Again, assuming it isnt a defect, design flaw that causes them to fail.)

(I had a weird misfire on my S62, figured it might be a coil. Did a swap of position, wasnt perfect in how it changed, but I bought a no-name from Autozone, replaced it- fixed it. Of course I couldnt have a POS no name in her..... so I then bought a proper OEM replacement. And now I have a spare no-name for troubleshooting imn the future. 230k miles on 5 of the OE coils. I know, living life on the edge.)

Buy a single coil, put it on the shelf. Should be all the protection you need for the next 100k

JMHO

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

OEM is not what BMW sells

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM
Old 06-04-2020, 02:25 PM

Mein Auto: x5 xDrive50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerisflying View Post
...to keep the car away from issue?
maintenance and bmw is a love hate relationship, its a very odd dynamic

"in general" owners who have had a few bmw's are pretty fanatic about maintenance, they don't necessarily agree as to what maintenance to do, but they tend to have pretty strong opinions about it.

"the dealers" are crazy money and they blindly follow the book; they follow the book due to bmw's sorted past when they went to included maintenance and at the same time changed the intervals

Couple examples, in the x5, bmw says the transmission oil interval is lifetime; only change during a repair. But you'll see a significant number of folks going by the 100k number.

bmw says x5 plugs are good for 60k; but many get swapped ahead of that interval. Coils are replace at failure.

With that
According to bmw at 85k you should be on your 2nd set of plugs, 5th oil change, 2nd air filter, ~3rd (every 2 years) brake flush and ventilation filter(s). Not sure what diff's and transfers get for intervals, they may be till repair as well.

My vote; do maintenance at least as much as bmw says; but i wouldn't go crazy beyond those schedules as you will be spending dollars for repair vs maintenance. Transmission / diffs / transfers I'd be considering at the 100k mark but probably not to worried about them as likely you'll have a leak by then anyway and be in the vicinity.

Do note; oxygen sensors are a wear item in bmw word, 150k miles is the interval.
Old 06-07-2020, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiny93 View Post
maintenance and bmw is a love hate relationship, its a very odd dynamic

"in general" owners who have had a few bmw's are pretty fanatic about maintenance, they don't necessarily agree as to what maintenance to do, but they tend to have pretty strong opinions about it.

"the dealers" are crazy money and they blindly follow the book; they follow the book due to bmw's sorted past when they went to included maintenance and at the same time changed the intervals

Couple examples, in the x5, bmw says the transmission oil interval is lifetime; only change during a repair. But you'll see a significant number of folks going by the 100k number.

bmw says x5 plugs are good for 60k; but many get swapped ahead of that interval. Coils are replace at failure.

With that
According to bmw at 85k you should be on your 2nd set of plugs, 5th oil change, 2nd air filter, ~3rd (every 2 years) brake flush and ventilation filter(s). Not sure what diff's and transfers get for intervals, they may be till repair as well.

My vote; do maintenance at least as much as bmw says; but i wouldn't go crazy beyond those schedules as you will be spending dollars for repair vs maintenance. Transmission / diffs / transfers I'd be considering at the 100k mark but probably not to worried about them as likely you'll have a leak by then anyway and be in the vicinity.

Do note; oxygen sensors are a wear item in bmw word, 150k miles is the interval.
Thank you very much for your advice !
Old 06-08-2020, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Unless a particular car has known issues with early coil failures, I personally dont ascribe to the 'replace coils' advice.

The OE Beru's on the 996TT were crap and absolutely failed early. These got replaced. But the new replacements where much more robust, and generally are fine 100k in.

Unlike plugs- which actually WEAR OUT- coils dont wear down, but rather 'fail'. So you wont have a set of coils 'go bad' at some mileage... they may fail, but it will be a one here, one there kind of thing. (Again, assuming it isnt a defect, design flaw that causes them to fail.)

(I had a weird misfire on my S62, figured it might be a coil. Did a swap of position, wasnt perfect in how it changed, but I bought a no-name from Autozone, replaced it- fixed it. Of course I couldnt have a POS no name in her..... so I then bought a proper OEM replacement. And now I have a spare no-name for troubleshooting imn the future. 230k miles on 5 of the OE coils. I know, living life on the edge.)

Buy a single coil, put it on the shelf. Should be all the protection you need for the next 100k

JMHO
Nice advise. But when you are at 80k with original plugs and coils., when you change the spark plugs, you are already removing the coils to access the plugs. You have to be a miser or skint to not replace the coils too, . How much do the coils cost? $25 a piece, so about $200 for eight on a X5 50i ? If you can't afford that , you should not be driving a BMW.

Last edited by Gary214; 06-08-2020 at 08:46 AM.
Old 06-08-2020, 09:27 AM

Mein Auto: x5 xDrive50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary214 View Post
Nice advise. But when you are at 80k with original plugs and coils., when you change the spark plugs, you are already removing the coils to access the plugs. You have to be a miser or skint to not replace the coils too, . How much do the coils cost? $25 a piece, so about $200 for eight on a X5 50i ? If you can't afford that , you should not be driving a BMW.
I disagree for two reasons:
1) getting to the coils is easy
2) coils are not a constant wear item

This part "If you can't afford that , you should not be driving a BMW." I really don't get. Is the logic that since its a bmw it should just cost more then necessarily every time you touch it? 'If' someone wanted to spend more then necessary skip the coils and change out the transmission fluid, new vs old fluid will make a difference vs 8 coils that are still working.
Old 06-08-2020, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiny93 View Post
I disagree for two reasons:
1) getting to the coils is easy
2) coils are not a constant wear item

This part "If you can't afford that , you should not be driving a BMW." I really don't get. Is the logic that since its a bmw it should just cost more then necessarily every time you touch it? 'If' someone wanted to spend more then necessary skip the coils and change out the transmission fluid, new vs old fluid will make a difference vs 8 coils that are still working.

You still cannot afford a BMW
Old 06-08-2020, 11:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 4.8i E70 Sport
Need maintenance advice for a 80K mils X5

My X5 4.8i is running with all 8 original coils at 172,000 miles. I keep a spare new coil for the day that one finally fails. Coils can often outlast the life of the vehicle. If I was going to completely tear down and rebuild an engine I might replace all the coils but there is nothing wrong with waiting until they fail. There is no guarantee that the new coil wont fail in a thousand miles. Dealers love to pitch plugs & coils at the same time. Its easy to convince someone who doesnt know and a quick extra $400 + in the dealers pockets.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search