Few Issues Need Your Help Please - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)

X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
First generation BMW X1 availbe as a X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i xDrive.

Old 04-13-2020, 06:39 AM

Mein Auto:
Few Issues Need Your Help Please

Hey guys. My name is Geo and I'm new here. Just bought a 2015 x1 twin turbo 8 months ago and its been nice to drive. Heres what has been happening:

- last week turned car on and started to shake a bit.
- turned it off, and than it had a hard time turning on, as if battery was low or the started going out.
- it did start up and ran fine and I got the check engine light.
- turned it off and went to get a code reader. turned car on check engine light now is gone. no codes or pending codes..

- car ran great close to 2 weeks.
- 3 days ago i get home and I try to reverser and gas pedal does not respond at all, can't give it gas nothing happens and engine still on but starts shaking AGAIN.
- check engine light comes back on. I get my code reader and it shows 2 codes.
- code P10F5 and P00BC.

- I turn the car off and look up the codes and get different explanations.
- I go back to the car and now it won't start at all. All I hear is a CLICK in the engine compartment (from what I can hear).
- I keep trying nothing, seems like dead battery or bad starter. I install a new battery that is fully charged and good. Still won't turn on, just a LOUD CLICK or CLOCK. All lights in the interior are strong just like the old battery.

- at this point Im sure its the starter, so I start to look for it and can't find the thing anywhere.
- I do a search and no info whatsoever.
-Im now thinking best to take it to the dealer. But I like to know if this is going to cost me and arm and two legs?

Im pretty handy but to not find the started makes me feel like I should just take it to the dealer.

Any suggestions what went wrong here?
Any one know where the starter is located?
The 2 codes I mentioned, is it something I can fix myself?
And how can I put the car in neutral without it starting (I searched but not getting it, get all different kinds of input).

Thanks for ANY help/advice you can give me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2020, 08:41 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Study www.NewTIS.info for your car. The CLICK is probably the starter_solenoid, you know, like attached to the starter.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 04-13-2020, 10:19 AM

Mein Auto:
I been looking and searching but no help so far. I mean theres not one post or pic that shows where this starter is. thanks for your reply.

ANYONE have any input?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2020, 10:46 AM
Nuclear engineer

I picked an X1

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...nting/FcDXAXbD

Go to www.NewTIS.info. Put your VIN-7 in the entry box as that will select your precise platform (not X1 twin turbo). Then search in the file for your car for "starter".
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.

Last edited by Doug Huffman; 04-13-2020 at 10:58 AM.
Old 04-13-2020, 10:57 AM
Nuclear engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedX1 View Post
I been looking and searching but no help so far. I mean theres not one post or pic that shows where this starter is. thanks for your reply.

ANYONE have any input?
Here’s another way.

What part of the motor MUST the starter be attached to? It’s pretty big, like a foot in diameter, so round, with gear teeth on the circumference to engage the starter piñon. Izzat enough of a hint?

Old 04-14-2020, 12:49 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 335xi GT Msport
Um, have you spent time troubleshooting no start issues in other cars before? Have you changed a starter before( I know it's not that hard)? If so, then why don't you look up a u-tube video on troubleshooting no start or changing the starter in a 2015 X1, you might get enough direction from that. If this is sort of your first time, your not picking the easiest or cheapest car to mess with or learn on.

However,
If the battery is fully charged and/or new I'd make sure the connections are clean and tight and that any and all ground connections are in place and clean and tight as well. You could look that up on U-tube too, where are all the ground connections, especially between the motor and body.
Old 04-14-2020, 02:11 AM

Mein Auto: X1
If it is an e84. On my car you have to get the front of the car up on ramps and take the middle under shield off. That gives access to the gearbox. The starter motor is easy accessed from there. My car is a e84 1.8d UK spec.
Old 04-14-2020, 05:00 AM

Mein Auto:
I ended up towing the car to the dealer.
I did remove all the bottom covers and everything else mentioned here and didn't find the starter.
i have the e84 2.8 twin turbo.

I have two w202 c43 amg's and fix about everything on the cars including starters, fuel pumps, motor mounts etc.
This bmw is pretty difficult to work on, its newer and I'm sure thats why. But I will learn how to do the simple things on it, if thats such a thing.

I will update this thread once the car runs for others to benefit from...

Thanks for all the replies.

Last edited by SpeedX1; 04-14-2020 at 05:01 AM.
Old 04-14-2020, 08:34 AM

Mein Auto:
Just got a call from the dealer and they told me its the starter.
The starter is located inside the MANIFOLD. Its no wonder I could not find it.
Old 04-14-2020, 05:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 13' X1 35i
Curious, how many miles on your X1?
Wonder if the previous owner loved using the Auto Start Stop feature.
Old 04-15-2020, 01:04 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonex1 View Post
Curious, how many miles on your X1?
Wonder if the previous owner loved using the Auto Start Stop feature.

24,254 MILES. The car was set to that start stop when bought.
DONT USE IT GUYS.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
Today's Posts Search