Eccentric Shaft/Valvetronic Motor failure - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)

X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
First generation BMW X1 availbe as a X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i xDrive.

Old 02-10-2020, 06:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X1
Eccentric Shaft/Valvetronic Motor failure

The dreaded day has come. Car's been in the shop for a week with no resolution. '13 x1 35i with like 57k mi. Owned it 4 years and absolutely love it.

CEL came on. Dealer tried replacing the valvetronic motor ($2100 with labor.) Didn't work. Foreman recommended replacing DME, which is covered under and extended warranty, and since they figured that caused the valvetronic failure, that was covered, too.

Just got a text from SA stating the DME didn't fix the errors after many tries. New recommendation to to replace eccentric shaft/oil sprayer (maybe not the exact terms) for like $3800, no longer under warranty. They agreed to cover 75%, which is OK, I guess, but no guarantee this will fix anything, and I'm on the hook for any further diagnosis/repair.

I'm absolutely sick to my stomach
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2020, 06:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 4.8i E70 Sport
You paid for the valvetronic motors even though the DME was stated to cause the problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 02-10-2020, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyUnicornTaco View Post
You paid for the valvetronic motors even though the DME was stated to cause the problem?
Haven't paid for anything yet. The replacement valvetronic motor was covered, supposedly. Now they want to replace the valvetronic shaft and oil spray nozzle, which are separate parts (?) for $3568.

But yeah, thinking about it, why would the DME still not be the cause, and why would BMW cover 75% if not still the DME? Many questions remain...

Last edited by MajorTranq; 02-10-2020 at 06:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2020, 06:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 4.8i E70 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorTranq View Post
Haven't paid for anything yet. The replacement valvetronic motor was covered, supposedly. Now they want to replace the valvetronic shaft and oil spray nozzle, which are separate parts (?) for $3568.

That doesn’t sound right. Maybe they screwed up the valvetronic motors replacement and now want you to make it right. Be careful what you agree on. There are procedures to follow for valvetronic motor replacement and even a BMW tech can screw it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 02-10-2020, 07:13 PM

It does sound fishy, huh? I've had great luck with the dealer, so we'll see.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:31 PM

Sounds like the shaft is the correct diagnosis. The symptoms in this link match mine.

http://www.fluidmotorunion.com/bmw-v...shaft-failure/
Old 05-11-2020, 10:41 AM

Mein Auto: X1 2.0L xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorTranq View Post
The dreaded day has come. Car's been in the shop for a week with no resolution. '13 x1 35i with like 57k mi. Owned it 4 years and absolutely love it.

CEL came on. Dealer tried replacing the valvetronic motor ($2100 with labor.) Didn't work. Foreman recommended replacing DME, which is covered under and extended warranty, and since they figured that caused the valvetronic failure, that was covered, too.

Just got a text from SA stating the DME didn't fix the errors after many tries. New recommendation to to replace eccentric shaft/oil sprayer (maybe not the exact terms) for like $3800, no longer under warranty. They agreed to cover 75%, which is OK, I guess, but no guarantee this will fix anything, and I'm on the hook for any further diagnosis/repair.

I'm absolutely sick to my stomach
Hi Tranq, did you replace the vt-motor etc just due to the cel and codes? Makes me worry because I have had some valve tronic codes come up before and the engine went into a limp mode with no power, barely doing speed limit on hwy etc but when I got got home I did a valvetronic reset with my scantool and it recalibrated itself and never came back. This was maybe a year and a half ago.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
Today's Posts Search