Just got my first BMW: a 2014 X1 xDrive28i. Any gurus got 30 sec. to answer some ?'s? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)

X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
First generation BMW X1 availbe as a X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i xDrive.

Old 05-24-2020, 05:47 PM

Mein Auto:
Just got my first BMW: a 2014 X1 xDrive28i. Any gurus got 30 sec. to answer some ?'s?

Hey gang,

As stated in the title, I just got my first BMW. I bought her used with 61,000 miles on her, only two previous owners - neither of whom wrecked her, and both of whom performed her regularly-scheduled maintenance - and got her for a steal, to boot.

That said, I'd like to make sure I'm up to scratch on care and feeding, as well as any known gotchas that may plague the model.

So my initial, simple questions are:
  1. Can anyone suggest a good OBDII unit (I'm considering the purchase of an one mainly for peace of mind).
    Operating with the understanding that I know as much about working on cars as I do about Kangaroo Husbandry (that is to say: "nothing at all"), can anyone make any suggestions? The BlueDriver LSB2 Bluetooth Pro OBDII seems like a good call for a vehicular illiterate such as myself, though the AUTOPHIX 7810 seems a more robust solution, and the FOXWELL NT510 Elite, still moreso (though I suspect that's like sandblasting a soup cracker in my case).
  2. The air conditioning refrigerant appears to be almost entirely depleted. Can/should I refill it myself? Or is that asking for trouble with these models? Should I just suck it up and take her in?
  3. When sitting at idle, the climate control's fan makes a fair bit of noise (whirring, on occasion a quiet whine) when running (A/C or heat). Is this something to be urgently alarmed about?
  4. Is there anything I should know that's they're just straight-up picky/finicky about? Anything about these beasts you wish you'd known sooner?

Any guidance would be much appreciated. I'd like to care for this vehicle as well as her previous owners seem to have, and I figure asking the experts right up front will help me along my way. While I lack automotive repair skills, I AM a professional engineer, and, I flatter myself, not stupid. Any resources you could point me towards will reduce future stupid questions from me.

Thanks!

Z
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2020, 02:25 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
NewTIS A/C Performance Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenAtWork View Post
... I AM a professional engineer, and, I flatter myself, not stupid. Any resources you could point me towards will reduce future stupid questions from me.
www.NewTIS.info

newTIS.infobeta
Home / BMW E84 X1 sDrive28i SAV / Repair Manuals and Technical Data / 64 Heating and air conditioning / 64 50 Air conditioning, check / 64 50 ... A/C performance test

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...check/GbGkqA9N

newTIS.infobeta
Home / BMW E84 X1 sDrive28i SAV / Repair Manuals and Technical Data / 64 Heating and air conditioning / 64 50 Air conditioning, check / 64 50 010. Drawing off, evacuating and filling heating and air conditioning system

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...eck/1VnYI6BJG5
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.

Last edited by Doug Huffman; 05-25-2020 at 02:28 AM.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:06 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive28i
Don't own an OBDII scanner, but may get one if I go the DIY route in replacing my battery this fall. I did learn a few things. Get one that will read BMW specific codes, not just generic codes. Also the more expensive ones will allow resetting service codes, register new battery, etc. Depends on what you want to use the thing for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2020, 10:04 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328i x-drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenAtWork View Post
So my initial, simple questions are:
  1. Can anyone suggest a good OBDII unit (I'm considering the purchase of an one mainly for peace of mind).
    Operating with the understanding that I know as much about working on cars as I do about Kangaroo Husbandry (that is to say: "nothing at all"), can anyone make any suggestions? The BlueDriver LSB2 Bluetooth Pro OBDII seems like a good call for a vehicular illiterate such as myself, though the AUTOPHIX 7810 seems a more robust solution, and the FOXWELL NT510 Elite, still moreso (though I suspect that's like sandblasting a soup cracker in my case).
  2. The air conditioning refrigerant appears to be almost entirely depleted. Can/should I refill it myself? Or is that asking for trouble with these models? Should I just suck it up and take her in?
  3. When sitting at idle, the climate control's fan makes a fair bit of noise (whirring, on occasion a quiet whine) when running (A/C or heat). Is this something to be urgently alarmed about?
  4. Is there anything I should know that's they're just straight-up picky/finicky about? Anything about these beasts you wish you'd known sooner?
1. Carly is a great OBD2 Bluetooth unit that also allows you to do basic coding (software modifications to the system). I use it and am very happy with it.

3. Likely your blower motor bearings. It needs replacing. The part is pretty cheap from the online parts retailers.

4. Keep up to date on your oil changes. The N20 4 cylinder engine has a known defect in the timing chain guide. It can fail and cause, more or less, complete engine failure. Many folks report hearing strange whistling noises coming from the engine for a period of time before the actual failure occurs. MANY owners experiencing this failure are doing so within several weeks of "new" used ownership of an N20 powered X1. This could potentially indicate poor maintenance practices from previous owners.

I don't want to scare you here - the probability of experiencing this failure is, statistically, very low. The vast majority of owners will never experience it or even know it exists. But, it is a known issue, so something to watch out for.

Otherwise, biggest thing I can recommend is ensuring that you're keeping up with maintenance. A big item that you need to do within the next few thousand miles is an automatic transmission filter and fluid service. Then there are others as well, including:
- brake fluid
- coolant
- power steering fluid
- differential fluid
- transfer case fluid
Etc etc.

Not even sure if -40 degrees is cold anymore ?

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
2014, a/c, climate control, newbie, noisy fan, odbii, x1, xdrive28i

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
Today's Posts Search