“Professional” coatings. - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > The Detail Department

The Detail Department
Detailing tips, tricks to keep your bimmer in showroom condition.

Old 06-21-2020, 05:54 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
“Professional” coatings.

Welp. I’m cynical by nature, and find most of the car detailing world to be absolute hype.

Videos by professionals paid for product placement or paid to make them seem special so people will pay $1500 for a wax job (aka super sorcery Enron-creamy-unicorn tears-cured-special lights whatever. Coatings applied any hyped but automotive influencers......

It struck me that the industry reached an inflection a few years ago, with this whole “limited to certified installler” bs in many coatings. It seems to me that this is nothing more than a marketing ploy to

- Charge more
- Prevent DIYers
- Allow shops to charge more
- Convince shops that if they keep up the facade of ‘must be professionally installed’, they will make more and they will not get cut off

What am I missing?

Zero factual information is avail either- everyone posting/writing is part of the industry. Every detailing website/forum/store knows not to bite the hand that feeds them.....No matter where they are in the $$ foodchain, it makes zero sense to buck the trend.

I see ‘invest in ceramic’...‘professional installers’.... combined with secrecy on what the coating so actually ARE, and my BS detectors are on high.

Then there is this odd reality that a professional cooting, rare, special, expensive.... is- in and of itself- a desirebale thing for many owners. A coating that costs $200 and can be done by anyone, compared to a coating that costs $2000, and is only purchased by people that dont care about money, is the thing that many value. The “Dinah Effect”. Yes, it costs 10x what it should, and thats what makes it rare- is the value people desire.

Any truth out there around these ‘secret professional only’ coatings?

And if you are a ‘professional’, did you sign an NDA or confidentially clause in any agreement with any of these companies? Be nice to know.

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

OEM is not what BMW sells

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2020, 06:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 08 535XI,XHP/MHD
I would say the biggest expense professional or DIY is the prep stage. I spent 30 hours on mine after I bought it used.

I spent the change on a pro quality polisher, pads, microfibers, wheel brushes and products to make it happen.
One hundred dollars every 2 years for my coating expense is worth it for looks and easy maintenance.
I will do a coating for my family if they care and if not I will use trustworthy Collinite 845.

Wheel coatings and tire coatings are equally impressive.
If it is truly just snake oil I am lapping up the last drop with a biscuit.

But once again, it is the prep
Old 06-21-2020, 11:08 PM

Mein Auto: G30 540
I agree with spazzz - the greatest expenditure of time and money is on the prep. The advantage of a good detailer is that they can assess your car and determine the right compounds/polishes/pads to address the paint on your car. Different compounds can be quite expensive especially for a two stage paint correction. With the right equipment and products pro shops can do a much better job than most DYI's. Nevertheless, with the right equipment, products, time and experience DYI can be equal to pro shop (at least that is what I keep telling myself haha).

It does, however, require a significant investment to get the right equipment and it takes considerable time to really learn how to use and apply the various products correctly. I can certainly understand why for some people it is much easier to just drop the car off and pay the dough. Easy-peasy and your car looks great.

By the way, I have used unicorn tears (very expensive) and find it unequaled as a final top coat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2020, 03:46 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Professional is utterly meaningless. So is certified unless the certification requirements are well known posted and current.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 06-22-2020, 03:51 AM
Nuclear engineer

Ceramic is silicon dioxide sand or glass. Silane is an organic chemical of Si-O on a polymer. Pure costs $5 / ounce at amaXon. Don't be Gullah-bull
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 06-22-2020, 05:55 AM

Mein Auto: 328xi
The key to how your car looks is surface preparation (just like painting a wall or sealing a garage floor). The cars you see in ads with brilliant finishes have superior paint jobs and are rarely driven outside.
Old 06-22-2020, 10:32 AM

Mein Auto:
It all comes down to warranty. If you are a DIYer and the coating you put on doesn't live up to expectations, the time and money you invested is gone. Any more work and money to remove the coating is also on you. If you pay a professional or certified installer to apply a ceramic coating, you know it would be applied properly. Why? They won't apply ceramic coating to a vehicle that needs paint correction. They know the steps required for best results. You will pay for the paint correction and the coating.

Anything that requires experience will cost more. Your consumer grade products are usually much safer than professional grade. Read that as consumer grade products are much more forgiving; but because they are more forgiving, the end result is much more dependent on the preparation. While professional grade products also depend on preparation, the product requires more knowledge and experience in the application.

Unless you're a total bozo, you can see the different results with professional grade products vs consumer grade products. If you can't, you have no business questioning the difference.
Old 06-22-2020, 01:12 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

lol

"grade" coatings?!?

Other than calling them 'grades', which is simply blather put out by the industry, anyone have any facts?

Agree 100% on achieving 'optical perfection' **prior** to any coating. Obviously. In my experience you spend hours and hours- maybe 6-10hours, on machine correction. The last step is coating/sealant/wax.

But my question is about 'professional grade'. Is it only a marketing gimmick? So far all ive heard it the standard industry fluff.

Saying 'it takes more experience' ior 'is more or less forgiving' isnt real. Its a repeat of their messaging

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

Old 06-22-2020, 01:19 PM
Nuclear engineer

ECE / EU is very good at enforcing SDS listings of ingredients. Review the industry for any variation and its effect

Old 06-22-2020, 01:21 PM
Nuclear engineer

Nearby some poor soul learned the hard way that polish is abrasion

Old 06-22-2020, 01:43 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
lol

"grade" coatings?!?

Other than calling them 'grades', which is simply blather put out by the industry, anyone have any facts?

Agree 100% on achieving 'optical perfection' **prior** to any coating. Obviously. In my experience you spend hours and hours- maybe 6-10hours, on machine correction. The last step is coating/sealant/wax.

But my question is about 'professional grade'. Is it only a marketing gimmick? So far all ive heard it the standard industry fluff.

Saying 'it takes more experience' ior 'is more or less forgiving' isnt real. Its a repeat of their messaging
Are you for real? You've obviously only "heard" about this stuff. I'm not a pro detailer, but I'm not an amateur either. You've obviously already made up your mind about the "professional" stuff and just looking for justification, not explanation.
Old 06-22-2020, 02:00 PM

Quote:
lol

"grade" coatings?!?

There is a huge difference in application from one coating to the next. Professional coatings have more of a learning curve.

Take a jab at the new graphene coatings.
Here is the link for a professional coating.
https://carzilla.ca/products/artdesh...a4a1784e&_ss=r

I went with the BX because 2 years is all I will get out of my daily before it needs a polish.
I also don't want the hassle of the more difficult application.
Old 06-22-2020, 02:18 PM
Nuclear engineer

Lol. Snake oil

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphene

Old 06-22-2020, 02:28 PM

Darn it Doug.

I did buy a bottle of the touted PDMS from the big A.
No where near a coating. It's oozing silicone in our landfill.
Old 06-22-2020, 02:28 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NytWolf View Post
Are you for real? You've obviously only "heard" about this stuff. I'm not a pro detailer, but I'm not an amateur either. You've obviously already made up your mind about the "professional" stuff and just looking for justification, not explanation.
lol. yes. real. nice to meet you...

I fall in the same. not a pro, not an amateur. Ive done body work. SHt paint. Do a lot of catalyzed metal catings these days. On detailing I can do paint correction, swirl and scratch removal. Oxidization. Quite aggressive restoration up to optically perfect. All for my own consumption though.

Im trying to discover- on a factual basis- if there is a difference between these coatings. Not what the pro shops or companies selling them say (nor what the blogs or forums regurgitating this info say either...remember these blogs that repeat these 'facts' make their money from selling product, NOT giving advice.)

my suspicion is that they are equivalent or near equivalent. That there is nothing special about the 'professional' coatings. Nothing radical like 'different chemistry or 'entirely new coating technology' (Except the promise of a 'wrapping' of media and support around the mystique to allow them to price them at 4-10x what 'inferior DIY stuff' sells for.) Solvents change...concentrations... little bitty differences here or there.

These guys that a doing them cannot afford to repaint a new Porsche or Ferrari, so the idea that 'only a pro will stand behind it' seems empty.

Here's the thing: it is far easier to make a pile of money by taking a me too coating, wrapping it in ceramo-nano-mubmo-jumbo, hyping vendors to only sell it as a 'professional' product...restricting it...hyping the value...developing an closed ecosystem of hype...all to drive margins...

then it is to actually develop a superior coating.

(Thanks spazzz, will check it)

and Doug, research?!? Please. I have staff to do that.

Old 06-22-2020, 05:53 PM

Ard, have you bumped into this article?

https://budgetplan1.wordpress.com/gl...amic-coatings/

He is an Autogeek /Autopia forum member. He is straight forward and always worth a read.
I think he got a little too obsessed with his curiosity.
Old 06-22-2020, 06:55 PM

Mein Auto: G30 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzz View Post

He is an Autogeek /Autopia forum member. He is straight forward and always worth a read.
Interesting read. Nice to confirm that my interest in detailing has not yet reached the level of obsession. But hey, what's the harm.....Thanks for the post.
Old 06-23-2020, 08:23 AM

Mein Auto: C7 Corvette, 981 Cayman S
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGP View Post
Interesting read. Nice to confirm that my interest in detailing has not yet reached the level of obsession. But hey, what's the harm.....Thanks for the post.
A *little* too obsessed??? If only my wife would put it so tactfully :lol: Then again, like most human beings she has but two feet and yet feels the need to have seemingly 50 pairs of shoes, many of which I can’t tell the difference between; I guess we can all ascend (or descend) to our own individual levels of practical madness based upon our individual interests. It helps keep our household in equilibrium :lol:

Quote:
Welp. I’m cynical by nature, and find most of the car detailing world to be absolute hype.

Videos by professionals paid for product placement or paid to make them seem special so people will pay $1500 for a wax job (aka super sorcery Enron-creamy-unicorn tears-cured-special lights whatever. Coatings applied any hyped but automotive influencers......

It struck me that the industry reached an inflection a few years ago, with this whole “limited to certified installler” bs in many coatings. It seems to me that this is nothing more than a marketing ploy to

- Charge more
- Prevent DIYers
- Allow shops to charge more
- Convince shops that if they keep up the facade of ‘must be professionally installed’, they will make more and they will not get cut off

What am I missing?

Zero factual information is avail either- everyone posting/writing is part of the industry. Every detailing website/forum/store knows not to bite the hand that feeds them.....No matter where they are in the $$ foodchain, it makes zero sense to buck the trend.

I see ‘invest in ceramic’...‘professional installers’.... combined with secrecy on what the coating so actually ARE, and my BS detectors are on high.

Then there is this odd reality that a professional cooting, rare, special, expensive.... is- in and of itself- a desirebale thing for many owners. A coating that costs $200 and can be done by anyone, compared to a coating that costs $2000, and is only purchased by people that dont care about money, is the thing that many value. The “Dinah Effect”. Yes, it costs 10x what it should, and thats what makes it rare- is the value people desire.

Any truth out there around these ‘secret professional only’ coatings?

And if you are a ‘professional’, did you sign an NDA or confidentially clause in any agreement with any of these companies? Be nice to know.

Even though just a garage dwellin hobbyist, I have had the opportunity to try a few pro-only coatings and while it’s always hard to label anything universally ‘better’ or ‘best’ there are a few aspects to a pro-only coating that MAY appeal to someone who chooses to have one applied (or ‘installed’, as many like to say). And while the materials themselves may be similarly priced, the hours to put in the prep of the vehicle makes up a large portion of the time and thus the final bill for a pro coating application.

In no particular order:
1. Durability/Longevity/Application: This is kinda a crapshoot in my opinion, too may factors to determine real longevity vs claimed longevity. That said, there are some pro-only coatings (1 or 2 that I know of) that are best left to pros as removal of a ‘high spot’ could be somewhat problematic. Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra is a pro-only coating that can only be removed (according to their install documentation) by wet sanding, something definitely best left to pros. Most other coatings, both pro-only or consumer-available, can be easily removed with a medium polish or, at most, a heavy compound; well within the abilities of a somewhat competent hobbyist. Imagine though, if made available to a consumer, the damage could that be done by consumers taking sandpaper to their car after they noticed that they ‘missed a spot’ during application. If’n I was Gtechniq, I’d want nothing to do with answering those phone calls, hence a possible reason to limit to pros.
So now you’ve got this *real* semi-permanent coating on your paint, what advantage does that offer? Well, if you believe the marketing, that stuff is NOT coming off your paint so it must be tough as nails, which means better protection…maybe. As tough as it is it will still not prevent scratches and marring instilled by heavy daily use of the vehicle so for someone like me, no way I want something like that on my paint. After 3 years, my black daily driver that sees 20k miles a year, 12 months a year in NE Ohio, has enough defects instilled by general use that to maintain my level of acceptable appearance, it requires the car to be re polished, removing the coating in the process. And I DON’T wanna get out sandpaper to do it cuz I’d likely seriously goon up that job. On the other hand, if you’re having it applied and you want ‘the toughest’ available to you, it's a possible selling point for the installer.

2. Warranty: Many pro-only coatings offer a warranty and in the case of some (Ceramic Pro, I believe, possibly a few others) it’s an item noted on a CarFax report and I’d guess transferrable to a new owner. That is possibly a selling point for an installer. But like all warranties, there are likely myriad exclusions, conditions and limitations to coverage. Like the Zeibart ‘lifetime’ rustproofing back in the 70’s and 80’s, to maintain warranty coverage you probably must return for yearly visits and generally these maintenance stops ain’t free. During the maintenance stops/visits the installer will ‘refresh’ your coating via the application of what in the consumer world is known as a topper or booster; a spray product that restores the hydrophobic nature to the finish, adds some gloss as well. They might give your car a decon wash before the ‘refreshing product’ is applied (heavy cleanser, iron remover, tar remover, etc) that will peel some of the accumulated road grime off of the surface, also helping to restore the ‘like new’ performance of the coating. No big deal, really…coatings do need maintenance just like waxes and sealants but if you think your lifetime (or 5, 10 year) warranty means ‘one and done’ with no continuing cost to you, well, that’s possibly not gonna happen.

So what if the coating totally ‘fails’ in your eyes, what then? Well, now you’re at the mercy of both the installer and the manufacturer. Why did the coating ‘fail’? Does it just not live up to your expectations, did you not follow the recommended maintenance process, did some extraordinary event (barrel of acid rolled off a truck on freeway and you drove thru it) cause the coating to ‘fail’…coming to an understanding of why it failed is possibly a contentious discussion if your installer doesn’t quite see things your way. And even if he does, does the warranty backed by the manufacturer cover the cost of materials only or will it cover the labor involved for the installer to remove the coating and re-apply? A warranty is only as good as the people standing behind it.

3. Formulations or “A Pro Coating is better/stronger than anything a consumer can get”; In some case, perhaps this is true (again w/ the caveat of just what better or stronger means to you). IGL offers a variety of paint coatings, all of which were at one time available to IGL Certified Installers only (Poly was recently released to the consumer market). From ‘best to less-best’ they were:
- Kenzo: Need to be certified in person and show history of lower tier ‘success’
- Quartz+: Need to be an established business w license and insurance
- Quartz: Need to be an established business w license and insurance
- Poly: Need to be an established business w license and insurance although now anyone can get it.
(note the requirements for use are from what I remember when trying to get a hold of some to try; don’t take it as fact cuz things change)

A sympathetic installer sent me some Quartz to use and I ran it side-by-side on a vehicle at work w/ 22ple HPC, one of the better consumer coatings I had used. 22ple ate it for lunch in terms of longevity w/ little maintenance, hydrophobic performance and for me, looks (entirely subjective). So in that case, a pro-only coating was not as ‘good’ as a consumer available choice just because it was pro-only….based upon my personal definition of what makes one coating better than another.

According to what I’ve been able to gather from speaking w/ Gyeon reps, they also offer ‘consumer approximations’ of their pro-only coatings, albeit at lesser concentrations of ‘the good’ stuff. I have no idea of the accuracy of that but for what it’s worth:
PRO: Durabead, consumer-ish equivalent: Mohs + Booster
PRO: Duraflex, consumer-ish equivalent: Syncro (Mohs + Skin)
PRO: CanCoat Pro, consumer-ish version: CanCoat
Dunno if the content is significantly different w regards to formula but I’d suspect it is so that the pro-installers have something to hang their hat on.

At the end of the day, what makes a Pro-only coating better than a consumer available coating is largely subject to your circumstances, your preferences and how you go about defining ‘better’….just like trying to determine what makes one consumer coating better than another consumer coating. All things considered, IMO the only valid answer is “It depends”.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
Quote:
Take a jab at the new graphene coatings.
Here is the link for a professional coating.
https://carzilla.ca/products/artdesh...a4a1784e&_ss=r

I went with the BX because 2 years is all I will get out of my daily before it needs a polish.
I also don't want the hassle of the more difficult application.
I’ve had the US Distribution of the Art ‘d Shine Graphene coating on my daily driver for the last year. While I can’t say it is due to the Graphene content or some other part of the formulation, it’s a very, very nice product that brings some attributes to the table that may please some folks. All things considered though, it doesn’t quite meet my particular needs as well as my favorite SiO2 based coating.

Just my view from the ‘Cheap Seats’ and as always, YMMV.
Old 06-23-2020, 04:04 PM

Excellent first post

Thank you, sir.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > The Detail Department
Today's Posts Search