Increased battery discharge on new battery - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)

X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
First generation BMW X1 availbe as a X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i xDrive.

Old 03-26-2020, 04:11 PM

Mein Auto:
Increased battery discharge on new battery

2014 BMW X1 s28i. A week ago I was driving, pulled over with my hazard lights on for 10 minutes with car off while I ran in to pick up some food. Came out and the car was throwing every light and warning in the book and wouldn't turn over. Had the car jumped and I made it about a quarter mile before the car went into limp mode. Crawled home and parked it. I was sick so I waited about a week to address the issue. Yesterday I brought the original 2014 battery to get tested. It was so dead they couldn't even test it. So i bought a new duralast and installed it myself. Today I brought the car into an Indy shop and had the battery registered. Drive home no problem. Well, a few hours later I go to drive and the car won't unlock without me using the fob. Car starts right up and the only thing I can notice on the car that's malfunctioning is the easy access unlocking. Now I'm getting a "increased battery discharge" light when I turn the car on. Is this natural with a battery change and will it remedy on its own while I drive? Or is there something more sinister going on? I live in Los Angeles so weather shouldn't be an issue. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2020, 05:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F48 X1, JGC, 911C2S Cab
Wrong forum.

This is the F48 X1 (2016 - )
Old 03-27-2020, 07:07 AM
Achtung! Hochspannung!

Mein Auto: 2018 i3, F10 535d
Relocated to E84.

Sounds like you have something the car sees as drawing power while turned off, or it isn't charging properly and your new battery is already nearing the startability limit.

Last edited by God-Follower; 03-27-2020 at 07:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2020, 08:24 AM

Mein Auto: S-Drive X1
When the battery on my 2014 X1 died, I took it to the local auto parts store and had them install a new one. About 2 months later it would not hold a charge and I brought it back. They had installed a non-AGM battery.

So check that first. Six months later the battery failed again and I went to the BMW dealer to see if there was something wrong with the charging system. Everything was fine. The dealer did tell me that some battery shops quick charge new batteries before delivery and AGM batteries are damaged by that.

Another new battery was delivered and everything has been fine since then.

The BMW shop did tell me that the Ultragauge OBD II device I occasionally plug in to monitor temperature or check a code should not be left in the OBD socket because it does not let the car's computer power down, and will drain the battery even with the FOB out of the slot. If the battery drains down three or four times it will fail to recharge.

Hope this helps. Good luck
Old 03-29-2020, 04:46 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Increased Battery Discharge is caused by ....

Increased Battery Discharge is caused by a module not sleeping properly and drawing current when it is not authorized, by a module being awakened too frequently and consuming more power than authorized, or, most commonly, a third party accessory improperly powered. I maintain that the BMW electrical system is too highly integrated to power a third party accessory without causing the error.

The Intelligent Battery Sensor - IBS - ALWAYS monitors battery load. A connected battery's voltage is meaningless as voltage is ALWAYS being dropped somewhere.

DON'T SCREW WITH YOUR BMW'S ELECTRICAL SYSTEM UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING! Don't fix what ain't broke lest one fix until broke, and a BMW is only robust to engineered stresses and expensive.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallen88 View Post
Wrong forum.

This is the F48 X1 (2016 - )
No, this is the correct E84 forum!
Old 06-07-2020, 10:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 X5 4.4/2013 650ix GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony828 View Post
No, this is the correct E84 forum!
See post #3...a moderator moved it to the correct forum.
Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 2013 F06 650ix Gran Coupe` (Black Sapphire) 1/13 mfg date
(SOLD)
97 740iL (Arctic Silver) <<~>> 99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=637911&d=1538398374&thumb=1&stc=1
Old 06-19-2020, 06:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 s28i Msport
My 14 X1 s28i has always seemed to discharge when parked a week or so. I caught it charged up, since I was leaving battery disconnected for 2 weeks while hunkering.

So, I UNPLUGGED my Scangauge II, AND pushed the stop button again after FOB out. someone said do that to make the car sleep better.

Ok, something there worked, so then, I left scangauge connected and just pushed the STOP button.

Pushing STOP button after FOB out seems to work cut the drain.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
Today's Posts Search