Why no X1 35i love? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)

X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
First generation BMW X1 availbe as a X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i xDrive.

Old 05-17-2020, 03:41 PM

Mein Auto: 335i
Why no X1 35i love?

Going down the rabbit hole for my e93 335i Ď11 and stumbled upon the Ď15 35i M-Sport. Zero love and very few reviews here in the states. I understand the inline 6 turbo was a North America edition.

I am in love with my Ď11 e92. Still going strong at 76k (easy) miles and have now begun to add some mods to it. Yeah it took me a bit. Cobb tune and a down pipe. Looking towards a DP and PE exhaust mod.

I began look at a small used suvís that would give me ďsomeĒ of the driving experience with more ground clearance for my aging parents but retain some good looks. (Not too tall).

x3/4 m40i= great in your face power but price is not where I want to be. Iím not super crazy about the aesthetic visual proportions of either. The ratios seems off. Too much glass on top. Personal preference. (Still havenít driven the last version of the 35i)

x5= too big and heavy for my needs/wants. In addition, Iíd need the big motor. And that opens a whole new can of worms in the long run. Love the looks though.

x2 35i= great looks and size. However the move to a turbo 4 has left me wanting. Yes it is tuned to run. But it needs a few beats to think about it and Iím not keen on a motor wound so tightly to get results. The move to a FWD biased drive train wasnít thrilling either.

I guess Iím wondering about the X1 35i M-Sport. Very few out there. I now know itís based on my chassis and not extremely successful.

Any insight/comparisons?

Side note: I all models must have the M-Sport package.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2020, 06:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
E84's were an odd duck. Their footprint was about the same size as an F25 X3. But, they weren't as tall. They were closer to a tall station wagon than an SUV. That's not necessarily a bad thing to me, but it is a bad thing for Muffy the soccer mom.

I briefly looked at and E84 as a possible Frauwagen. What struck me was that the coachwork wasn't really up to typical BMW standards, specifically the trim around the side windows. That wasn't a deal breaker, but it was still a thing. What quickly stopped me from considering the E84 was the lack of a spare tire. That also took the F25 X3 off the list.

The E84 seems to be an appliance car and one designed from the start to be built for commercial/government use and for Asian production and sales. There were a lot of E84 cop cars in Europe. An acquaintance of mine had an E84 as a commuting and 'business errand" car for his restaurants. He didn't want to expose his Porsche Turbo to constant sunlight exposure, and parking lot ding, doinks, and vandalism. But, he didn't want to drive a Ford Transit Express mini-van to and from work every day, either.

Those N55 powered X1 35i will be keepers, though.
Old 05-17-2020, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputzer View Post
E84's were an odd duck. Their footprint was about the same size as an F25 X3. But, they weren't as tall. They were closer to a tall station wagon than an SUV. That's not necessarily a bad thing to me, but it is a bad thing for Muffy the soccer mom.

I briefly looked at and E84 as a possible Frauwagen. What struck me was that the coachwork wasn't really up to typical BMW standards, specifically the trim around the side windows. That wasn't a deal breaker, but it was still a thing. What quickly stopped me from considering the E84 was the lack of a spare tire. That also took the F25 X3 off the list.

The E84 seems to be an appliance car and one designed from the start to be built for commercial/government use and for Asian production and sales. There were a lot of E84 cop cars in Europe. An acquaintance of mine had an E84 as a commuting and 'business errand" car for his restaurants. He didn't want to expose his Porsche Turbo to constant sunlight exposure, and parking lot ding, doinks, and vandalism. But, he didn't want to drive a Ford Transit Express mini-van to and from work every day, either.

Those N55 powered X1 35i will be keepers, though.

I need to find one to drive. Very rare. For good or bad. Thereís an Ď13 near me. While itís not the package Iím after, it should give me a sense of the ride.

Thanks for the insight

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2020, 08:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 13' X1 35i
A used X1 should be priced well for the buyer since all the E84's are out of warranty now.
The X1 is definitely a fun car and the interior features are similar to your E93. (dash functions and coding etc.)
Old 05-21-2020, 03:00 AM

I am having a loaded Ď15 35i M-Sport being transferred near me. Fully loaded in V. Orange. Should be here this time next week.

They are rare birds.

Anyone have any insight regarding the mechanical aftermarket bits? CP, DP, air intake, etc? Logic dictates that much of the e9x options are compatible, however information is spotty when directly searching for the model.

Old 06-06-2020, 11:27 AM

Hard pass. I liked the car (a few cosmetic issues), loved the V Orange color (shockingly, I could enjoythat that color). But carMax failed to disclose the cigarette smell in the car after a remote walk around. They offered me a filter change and suggested a turtlewax ďcar bombĒ. I said: for the price you are asking, full market value, I shouldnít need to do much too it let alone smell bomb it.

Oh well. 100$ for a test drive.

Old 06-06-2020, 08:09 PM
HappyboyPDX

Mein Auto: 15 x1 3.5
love my X1 3.5M

I bought 2015 X1 3.5 M Sport with 60k from a dealership for almost wholesale price-20k 18 months ago, declined the $$$ warranty.....everything great, love the harmon pardon, sport seats, paddle shifters, the ride is Very Firm, but some new Michelins helped somewhat, and some Hawk brake pads and drilled Rotors got the brakes where i like them.
A week after i took the car home, the coolant light came on, bottle was empty, so I refilled, two weeks later came on again, found a hairline crack with a black light that was pissing coolant between the fender crimp, replaced the coolant bottle with a new one, 2 weeks later, light came on again, oh boy i thought-down the rabbit hole we go. bottle full, however, so replaced that with another new one(bad sensor in bottle # 1), and all good now.
Did a full fluid service when I bought it-both diffs(synthetic gear oil), transfer case, trans with filter, brake fluid with dot4, new plugs, filters, wipers.....what a hot rod. Likes gas a little bit, -my wife has a 17 x1 that gets great mpg, rides better...but my car has the great sound system etc.
I also disconnected the exhaust bypass connection located in the drivers side access well in the very back of the cargo area. Great rumble.....im sure the neighbors love it as much as I do.
Replaced front wheel bearings at 70k-bought it with 60-(these are hard to find, so enen tho the miles were a bit high, if they are good cars.......right?)....
There is some chatter about the front diffs being weak....keep the fluid fresh and full and we hop for the best...oh yeah, the rf bearing had the slightest growl on slight turn on certain pavements, but i taking no chances...who wants to seize a bearing at 120? not us, right?
Old 06-06-2020, 08:12 PM
HappyboyPDX

Mein Auto: 15 x1 3.5
right to pass on stinky car

you did right to pass on a stinky car....they are out there, .....if you want one keep looking. out here we don't have to worry about salt etc, so our used stuff is pretty sharp....
Old 06-07-2020, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydykeman View Post
I bought 2015 X1 3.5 M Sport with 60k from a dealership for almost wholesale price-20k 18 months ago, declined the $$$ warranty.....everything great, love the harmon pardon, sport seats, paddle shifters, the ride is Very Firm, but some new Michelins helped somewhat, and some Hawk brake pads and drilled Rotors got the brakes where i like them.
A week after i took the car home, the coolant light came on, bottle was empty, so I refilled, two weeks later came on again, found a hairline crack with a black light that was pissing coolant between the fender crimp, replaced the coolant bottle with a new one, 2 weeks later, light came on again, oh boy i thought-down the rabbit hole we go. bottle full, however, so replaced that with another new one(bad sensor in bottle # 1), and all good now.
Did a full fluid service when I bought it-both diffs(synthetic gear oil), transfer case, trans with filter, brake fluid with dot4, new plugs, filters, wipers.....what a hot rod. Likes gas a little bit, -my wife has a 17 x1 that gets great mpg, rides better...but my car has the great sound system etc.
I also disconnected the exhaust bypass connection located in the drivers side access well in the very back of the cargo area. Great rumble.....im sure the neighbors love it as much as I do.
Replaced front wheel bearings at 70k-bought it with 60-(these are hard to find, so enen tho the miles were a bit high, if they are good cars.......right?)....
There is some chatter about the front diffs being weak....keep the fluid fresh and full and we hop for the best...oh yeah, the rf bearing had the slightest growl on slight turn on certain pavements, but i taking no chances...who wants to seize a bearing at 120? not us, right?

I had some HGL issues with my e91 a year after buying. The extended warranty paid out.

Bmw is definitely a love hate

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
Today's Posts Search