Diesel exhaust fluid - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 01-08-2018, 03:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5d
Diesel exhaust fluid

Iím sure this question has been asked a bunch but I canít seems to find anything on this topic, my 2013 X5d is giving me the low exhaust fluid warning. Can I put just regular DEF in it from auto parts store or is there a specific fluid required? I know it takes the special filler spout but once I buy one of the bottles with that can I use regular DEF?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2018, 04:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 - 35d -- 131k
yes, youtube x5 bmw def

Old 01-08-2018, 04:11 PM

Mein Auto: 14 535d Xdrive, 12 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13X5dinCC View Post
Iím sure this question has been asked a bunch but I canít seems to find anything on this topic, my 2013 X5d is giving me the low exhaust fluid warning. Can I put just regular DEF in it from auto parts store or is there a specific fluid required? I know it takes the special filler spout but once I buy one of the bottles with that can I use regular DEF?
Yes! You can add DEF yourself and you can get it anywhere DEF is sold. DEF is DEF and made to an ISO standard. DEF is a commodity item and used worldwide. Brand of DEF and where you buy it doesn't matter because it's all the same. I buy my DEF in 2.5 gallon jugs at my local Walmart* store.

Bottom line is DEF is DEF is DEF is DEF...is DEF.

Good luck.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Why DIESEL is better: (from wxmanCCM)
PM - https://sites.google.com/view/lmarzccm/home
Air Toxics - https://sites.google.com/view/loren-marz-ccm/home
Ozone Precursors - https://sites.google.com/view/lorenmarz-ccm/home
General - https://sites.google.com/view/emissions-general/home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2018, 04:13 PM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Buy it as cheaply as you can. There is no use-by age dating.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 01-08-2018, 04:27 PM

Mein Auto: 328i xDrive 6MT
Quote:

Of course. Wal Mart sells 2.5 gallon jugs. I think Auto Zone has Shell DEF $20 for 5 gallons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-08-2018, 05:14 PM

Mein Auto: X5
Btw, Walmart has off brand jugs for like $7.
Old 01-08-2018, 05:59 PM

there's a flap that you don't want to damage on the inlets and needs held open. It IS VERY SLOW TO FILL if you gently insert 3\8 inch clear fuel hose past this flap, helps -- this hose acts like a vent tube for escaping air as its being filled. fill both inlets to they over flow, try not to spill. Being winter I used a coin car wash late at night. Sparingly rinsed of my mess as to not damage anything. clean rags -- old T shirt to block off the air intake opening after you take the inlet pipe off.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:22 AM

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d
Agreed: DEF is DEF is DEF. Brand is meaningless as the legal formula doesn't allow for ANY "secret sauce" to distinguish Brand X from Brand Y. Buy the cheapest you can find and motor on in peace.

But there is rumored to be trouble ahead for over-filling either DEF tank, as the air vents are rumored to clog. To be on the safe side, I (and many others here) pull the air hose off the air cleaner and dump a jug into the passive tank when needed. The $7-$8 Wally World 2.5 gallon jug won't risk overfilling the passive tank, and will carry you 2,000-3,000 or more miles before more is needed.
formerly '69 BMW 2002 and '67 BMW 2000CS
Old 01-10-2018, 09:25 AM

Mein Auto: 12 X5 diesel, 04 330 CIC
My own lesson learned is that discard previously opened package and always fill from a brand new one. It could be just me, but I caused myself a problem when filling from a stored container - apparently the plug was not airtight and vehicle threw a code for contaminated fluid. Had to drain both tanks and fill with fresh fluid ($250 @indy, $600 BMW dealer)
Old 01-10-2018, 10:43 AM

thanks for the heads up. im learning and need all the help I can get, I haven't taken my x5 to a dealer yet, I do have an engine light on and it could use a new battery. I have ordered a Carly. The only thing not working so far is the comfort access on 3 door handles, just the rear passenger handle works? and the egr cooler is blowing fumes out of it near the bend before the egr valve. I used a orange muffler gasket and made a cast around the leak. I have 131000 kilometers on it. At times I do smell diesel fumes and I need to keep the heater on recirculate. ?
Old 01-10-2018, 11:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328xD
Do yourself a favor and go to a Volkswagen dealership. Ask them for 1 bottle of G-052-910-A2

It is identical to the 1/2 gallong BMW bottle (even has a BMW part number on it) and will screw on to your fill tank perfectly.

It also costs half what the BMW bottle costs. Then just buy DEF anywhere you like as you need it, and use the bottle as a funnel to have no-mess fill ups.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:30 PM

Thanks, great to know that, and yes it was a mess at the time.

Volkswagen dealership. One L bottle Def -- Part number G-052-910-A2
Old 01-10-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Commuter View Post
Do yourself a favor and go to a Volkswagen dealership. Ask them for 1 bottle of G-052-910-A2

It is identical to the 1/2 gallong BMW bottle (even has a BMW part number on it) and will screw on to your fill tank perfectly.

It also costs half what the BMW bottle costs. Then just buy DEF anywhere you like as you need it, and use the bottle as a funnel to have no-mess fill ups.

^THIS!

Old 01-10-2018, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35dx5 View Post
Thanks, great to know that, and yes it was a mess at the time.

Volkswagen dealership. One L bottle Def -- Part number G-052-910-A2

Just ask for half a gallon of DEF. It should be that screw on bottle.

Old 01-10-2018, 03:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d
Quote:
I'm sure this question has been asked a bunch but I can't seems to find anything on this topic, my 2013 X5d is giving me the low exhaust fluid warning. Can I put just regular DEF in it from auto parts store or is there a specific fluid required? I know it takes the special filler spout but once I buy one of the bottles with that can I use regular DEF?
I get the 11 dollars valvoline DEF gallon jug from Napa.

I bought the special bottle (from Mercedes dealership, was cheaper there at the time) that plugs into the active/passive talk for 20 dollars and re use it a funnel (cut the bottom). Works great.

You have screw the bottle by rotating it on the tank and then just give a gentle press.

Last edited by smuggymba; 01-10-2018 at 03:35 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:19 AM

Mein Auto: X5 35d, MY2011 150,000 mi
If you have Carly, you can monitor DEF level in both passive and active tanks.

My approach - learned all this from this forum - wait until the passive tank is completely empty. You can even take the active tank down to about 34% full (Carly readout) . . . at that point, you will get the amber color 999-mile warning (this warning will turn red at 199 miles).

I wait until the 999-mile warning is triggered. At this point, using the 1/2 liter bottle described above (bottom cut off) as a funnel I fill the **passive** tank using a 2.5 gallon DEF jug from VW (yes any DEF would/should work, cost difference is so small, I just stick with VW jug as it is identical to the one from BMW).

Zero chance of overfilling the passive tank as its capacity is well over its max. 4.5-gallon capacity. That's it. Go for a short drive - if you have Carly you can watch the system transferring DEF from passive to active tank.

For my driving profile and area, I do this refill, at most twice a year, usually once a year.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:32 AM

Mein Auto: 335i E93, 523i X5 E7035D
Sorry to resurrect this thread on DEF. Just got warning messages level 2 (200 miles to go) with no level 1 (999 miles to go). Plus the warning message...

"Incorrect diesel exhaust fluid added. Please note the remaining driving range! if driving range reaches 0 miles/ kilometers, engne start will not be possible. Have the system checked by the nearest BMW center".

My initial guess was a low DEF level so I did a a DEF refill/top up. Both active and passive tanks drank a total of around 17 liters (One 10 liter jug and 70% of another 10 liter jug of BMW AdBlue DEF).

The warning messages did not disappear! :-( So I did 2 scans: Foxwell NT510 and Carly. I was able to get identical error messages which could not be erased/ cleared...

0041F9
DeNOx system, plausibility

00474C
DeNOx system, warning and Abschaltszenario

DeNOx system, warning and Abschaltszenario

I did a quick research on this issue from various forums and found out that this might be a NOX sensor related issue and not a DEF level issue since the sensor inside the DEF tanks only measures DEF level and they do not determine whether the DEF is good or bad quality. I'm going to the a BMW certified shop this weekend to have this checked since I only have 188 Kilometers left. I'm just soliciting thoughts, information or comments you might have regarding my theory before I go to the shop.

Last edited by fullmetaljacket; 01-14-2020 at 08:33 AM.
Old 01-18-2020, 03:21 PM

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetaljacket View Post
Sorry to resurrect this thread on DEF. Just got warning messages level 2 (200 miles to go) with no level 1 (999 miles to go). Plus the warning message...

"Incorrect diesel exhaust fluid added. Please note the remaining driving range! if driving range reaches 0 miles/ kilometers, engne start will not be possible. Have the system checked by the nearest BMW center".
{SNIP}

I'm just soliciting thoughts, information or comments you might have regarding my theory before I go to the shop.
BMW repair folks should be able to sort it out. This part of the emissions system has been, um, less-than-bullet-proof. So much so that there have been warranty extensions that may or may not apply to your case. Best wishes for speedy (and inexpensive) repairs.
formerly '69 BMW 2002 and '67 BMW 2000CS

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search