why bmw has not yet removed the manual gearbox in the american market? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW Questions

General BMW Questions
Use this forum to ask general question about the BMW ownership and keep up on the latest BMW news. Direct all model specific questions to model specific forums below.

Old 02-25-2020, 07:44 AM

Mein Auto:
why bmw has not yet removed the manual gearbox in the american market?

sorry for the stupid question why bmw still sells its models with a manual gearbox in the american market when a german competitor like audi has already stopped selling its manual gearbox models in the american market since 2020?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2020, 07:55 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
The only non-M BMW with a manual now sold in the U.S. is the F22/23 2 Series, and it's going out of production next year.

The only (real) M's with manuals are the M2 and M4, also going out of production next year. Although, the next generations M2, and M3/4 will supposedly offer a "pure" (RWD and manual) version.

BMW's historic philosophy is that a manual transmission enhances the driving experience. Also, a few Americans still like manuals, even more than Germans. The F10 M5 only offered a manual in the North American market. Everywhere else got DCT's only.

A BMW executive said that finding a manual that can handle the torque produced by modern BMW engines is a problem. They looked at the big U.S. transmission (used in Mustangs and Camaros) and they didn't have the smoothness necessary for a BMW.

Automats are faster, more fuel efficient, and make controlling emissions easier.

I've bought seven new passenger cars for my own use. All of them have been manuals. I got one of the last F10 535i manuals made. Actually, I had two of them, but the first one was involved in an unfortunate mishap and not around very long. I barely got my order in for the second one before production stopped. My car was built on 24 Feb 14, and production stopped on 28 Feb 14.
Old 02-25-2020, 08:15 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yegor_Branko View Post
sorry for the stupid question why bmw still sells its models with a manual gearbox in the american market when a german competitor like audi has already stopped selling its manual gearbox models in the american market since 2020?!
Do you count Dual Clutch Transmission - DCT - as a manual transmission? Perhaps a dozen European marques, including AUDI, build them.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2020, 08:18 AM

Mein Auto:
yes I think, but Audi in the American market from 2020 will no longer be with manual transmission
Old 02-25-2020, 08:31 AM
Nuclear engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yegor_Branko View Post
yes I think, but Audi in the American market from 2020 will no longer be with manual transmission
AUDI in the American market will be with the S-tronic DCT for the foreseeable future.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 02-25-2020, 08:44 AM

Mein Auto:
so it's not a mechanical gearbox but a robotic manual.
Old 02-25-2020, 07:48 PM

Mein Auto:
I love manual transmissions.. always will. People saying auto trans are so much better are missing out the point of enjoyment.. lets take away the fun part of being with a woman for you because we found a 25 year old guy in better shape that can outperform you.. its kind of like that.
Old 02-26-2020, 01:38 AM
Nuclear engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by targaone View Post
I love manual transmissions.. always will. People saying auto trans are so much better are missing out the point of enjoyment.. lets take away the fun part of being with a woman for you because we found a 25 year old guy in better shape that can outperform you.. its kind of like that.
I don’t want to have anything to do with a transmission that thinks a 25 year old guy can out perform me. As to ‘better shape’, compare when he has as much experience as I do.

Old 02-26-2020, 04:08 AM

The manual transmission in my 535i was an afterthought by BMW. The clutch is very finnicky pulling away from a stop. The turbocharged engine is very sluggish when driving gently. It improves when driven hard. But truthfully, when I know I'm going to be stuck in heavy traffic, I take my manual transmission Chevy Cobalt... the anti-BMW.

I've come to terms with the automatic in Frau Putzer's X3. I keep it in EcoPro mode, which causes it to shift into neutral when I let my foot off the gas pedal. If I then need to stop and want engine compression braking, I shift to Sport mode (by pushing the shift lever to the left). To increase engine compression braking if necessary, I manually downshift with the trigger o the steering wheel. After I come to a stop or no longer need to slow down, I shift the shift lever back to Drive by pushing the shift lever to the right.
Old 02-26-2020, 07:42 AM

Mein Auto:
honestly, apart from the manual transmission, I don't like any gearboxes. Therefore, it is so important for me and the more so I'm young and I'm 18

Last edited by Yegor_Branko; 02-26-2020 at 07:44 AM.
Old 02-26-2020, 07:57 AM

If I ever buy another small M (M2, M3, M4), it'd be a toss up between a manual and a DCT. It'd probably depend on what mood I was in on the day I spec'ed the car, and I'd be happy either way.
Old 02-27-2020, 04:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by targaone View Post
While were on the subject. . . . . . .
Even the best auto/DCT transmissions are like sex with a prostitute. It gets the job done but it's not the right experience.

I'll take 3 pedals please.

As for automakers offering less (or no) manual transmission options? Well, that's a larger societal problem I've yet to figure out.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW Questions
Today's Posts Search